Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 08:59 PM

73 posts, read 152,553 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are going to be house-hunting in the Phoenix area soon, and I am hearing all kinds of mixed opinions about Tolleson. Searching online, some of our favorite houses (in terms of appearance, features, and price) have been in the western part of Tolleson close to Avondale, and people who I have talked to who have lived in the area have said it is a pretty quick, easy commute (under 30 minutes) into the downtown Phoenix area. But, I have seen a lot of people on these boards advising others to stay away from Tolleson. Why is it that the town has a bad reputation? I realize it is a smaller, more agricultural town, and don't really have a problem with that, but is there more to it? We want to get the most for our money, but definitely don't want to be in an area that is unsafe. A couple of the houses that we like in the area are in gated subdivisions, would that make a difference?

We don't have kids, so the school system isn't an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 09:09 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
I don't have an answer to your question BUT I will say I think that 30 minute commute to downtown from Tolleson on the 10 Freeway is assuming you don't start work at a traditional time....traffic can be BAD from that area all the way to downtown and beyond.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:36 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,977,501 times
Tolleson isn't my favorite suburb in the Phoenix area. I hate to sound snobby because I'm really not but my uncle&aunt have a house in Tolleson and I have noticed a rather visible section 8 crowd(take it for whatever it's worth). I mean it's ok but it definitely wouldn't be my first or second choice for that matter. It's cheap for a reason. I would definitely go with Avondale or Goodyear instead. The commute to downtown wouldn't be that bad from either town if you stay close enough to I10. Good luck!

Old 03-23-2012, 12:15 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,131,534 times
http://www.city-data.com/city/Tolleson-Arizona.html

I don't know how accurate this site's stats are but it has Tolleson median income at around $30k and 84% Hispanic, not that there's anything wrong with that. Median home price in late 2011 looks like it was around $80k.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:15 AM

73 posts, read 152,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I don't have an answer to your question BUT I will say I think that 30 minute commute to downtown from Tolleson on the 10 Freeway is assuming you don't start work at a traditional time....traffic can be BAD from that area all the way to downtown and beyond.
Yes, rush-hour traffic isn't an issue. My husband is the one who will be working in the downtown area, and he will be going in at 5am and getting off at 7pm.

Also, I'm Latina, so living in a primarily Hispanic neighborhood isn't something that would bother me.

So you would recommend Goodyear, though? Is that a safe community?

Last edited by jessrscott; 03-23-2012 at 08:12 AM..

Old 03-23-2012, 10:08 AM

183 posts, read 549,877 times
Goodyear is quite awesome
Personal opinion

Old 03-23-2012, 10:17 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Tolleson is considered an undesirable area to live for a number of reasons mostly related to lower income, crime, crappy schools, excessive rental ratio, and a bleak outlook for appreciation. Maybe it does not deserve that reputation, but that's what it is. Goodyear is a few miles up the freeway and light years away in terms of desirability for not much more cost. If you want to persist in considering Tolleson, you are free to do that. Just remember: you were warned. BTW: You don't need to move to a questionable area to find Hispanics in numbers. They are in every neighborhood in every socio-economic range. They are pretty much part of the fabric of this community.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:03 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,131,534 times
It's just a trade-off. Do you want a nice new house in a town with lots of people in your same income bracket for $300k or do you want one in a town of people way below your income bracket for $250k? When you go to sell, you have a smaller pool of buyers in the latter. And your grocery shopping experience will be a little different, dog walking at night, and so on. Most families want their kids in the highest socioeconomic area they can afford. But some would rather have a smaller mortgage payment and a bigger house and stay inside their gates or drive to a more affluent burb to do their shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area