Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 11:11 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,455 times

Advertisements

Much of our water comes from the Salt River and is held in the lakes in the east valley. Saguaro, Canyon, Apache and Roosevelt. Also, I believe some comes from the Verde River and is held in Bartlett Lake.
The water held in those lakes comes from the snowpack in the mountains north and east of us.
From what I've read, there is a huge aquafier below the phoenix valley. One of the largest in the world and we haven't even begun to tap that yet because we are in good shape with all the water in the above mentioned lakes.
As far as the high temps around here, so far I love the sunny warm weather and I'm pretty comfortable up to about 107 because it's so dry here. It just doesn't feel that hot even though the thermometer says it is.
I'm a 52 year old male with a thin build. I probably wouldn't enjoy the heat much if I wasn't around water all the time. I have a pool and an avid fisherman so I'm always jumping into some kind of water to get relief from the heat. If you use the heat to your advantage, you'll like it. If you just avoid it, then yes, you'll have a problem with it.
Personally, I wouldn't own a house here without a pool but that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 01:42 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,696,064 times
I used to be a real heat hater when I was younger. Although I don't hate it now, that doesn't mean I love it either. 101F for April is just too hot for any part of the US anywhere. It amazes me how so many people rejoice when it is that hot. I could never understand why so many look at hot weather as something that came out of the sky and seems to be a blessing. I guess if you are one of those people that escaped from a place that has cold winters then you look to the heat as a better alternative. The truth is though that with the high heat comes the danger of the dreaded heat stroke/heat exhaustion. Enjoy

I really like AZ as a state but 101F is a bit too much for April.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:29 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,133,332 times
Quote:
The truth is though that with the high heat comes the danger of the dreaded heat stroke/heat exhaustion.
The cold always felt far more deadly to me. Maybe it was reading The Call of the Wild as a kid...

Old 04-18-2012, 04:49 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
100s are predicted for three days in a row. The last time 100s occurred three days in a row in April was 1992. Anyone remember it?

Old 04-18-2012, 04:53 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,893,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
100s are predicted for three days in a row. The last time 100s occurred three days in a row in April was 1992. Anyone remember it?
I remember some awesome monsoon weather in the North Valley around then,vaguely.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:50 PM

777 posts, read 1,337,052 times
Low hundreds are no biggee. It's when it's constantly over 110 in the days and doesn't drop below 90 at nights for 3-4 months straight that it sucks.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:34 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Forget the 100's this weekend. My concern is the lack of rainfall even by Phoenix's standards. I'm new to the area as a full time resident but am aware we should have some 4 inches by now. Don't believe Sky Harbor has even topped 0.50 inches since 2012 began. I wouldn't doubt water restrictions are coming if we don't have some real rain soon.
Right on everything, except water restrictions. Most of our water comes from snow melt via the CAP or reservoirs. Still, the lack of rain this year is a concern on different levels. It seemed like we would have a normal winter the way November & December were shaping up, but winter seemed to be completely over with by the first of the year. On average, we should have had over three inches of rain by now, but don't expect too many others to be concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
I used to be a real heat hater when I was younger. Although I don't hate it now, that doesn't mean I love it either. 101F for April is just too hot for any part of the US anywhere.
Completely agree! 100 degrees or higher is NOT normal for April, not even here. The long term average of our first 100 degree temperature is May 13th ... and even then, it doesn't always mean the beginning of the long summer because there are often variations in temperature into the first half of June.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
It amazes me how so many people rejoice when it is that hot. I could never understand why so many look at hot weather as something that came out of the sky and seems to be a blessing. I guess if you are one of those people that escaped from a place that has cold winters then you look to the heat as a better alternative. The truth is though that with the high heat comes the danger of the dreaded heat stroke/heat exhaustion. Enjoy

I really like AZ as a state but 101F is a bit too much for April.
You need to understand that Phoenix tends to be a haven for heat lovers and sun freaks. I guess in a way you have to be in order to tolerate the four to five months of intense heat every year ... but there are some who worship the sun & heat a little too much. I figure that they are the ones who will end up with health issues later in life, so let them be foolish.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:42 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,944,101 times
Yea I don't think this will mean it will be a super long summer, I'm thinking it's just a high pressure system that will move on and we should be back down into the high 80s/low 90s.

The earliest Phoenix has seen 100º+ was March 26th, 1988 by the way, so we're no where near a record here.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:46 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,718,106 times
I take it Fox 10 is the news choice around this forum for weather ? That info was just mentioned the other night. "Watch your kids around water" !!!!

Old 04-19-2012, 02:34 PM

31 posts, read 60,503 times
I am in my 30s, skinny, and healthy. You can put me into the "I cannot stand the heat camp."

It's funny how everybody talks about how this is ideal pool weather. How do you find the time go to the pool during a weekday?

I was raised here and I still have never enjoyed, or gotten used to the heat here.

The heat index is bunk, I prefer the real feel temp from another weather source. It factors in many other variables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area