Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 06:12 PM

621 posts, read 1,333,721 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of buying a place in the Phoenix area and was curious if they still actively search for and remove illegals from the state????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 06:20 PM

424 posts, read 953,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twincam666 View Post
I was thinking of buying a place in the Phoenix area and was curious if they still actively search for and remove illegals from the state????
I believe they're cautious (now) but expect that to change if the Fed sides with the state. Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Kimballette; 04-29-2012 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 04-28-2012, 09:26 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
"Active searching" is limited to some raids on employers. It's not as if they are knocking on everyone's door.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:57 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,341,146 times
But it looks like SCOTUS is going to uphold most of the state laws and they most likely will increase the raids.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:57 PM

784 posts, read 923,436 times
On my last two visits to Phoenix we have not seen any groups of people waiting around for drive by work as we used to see.

Coincidently, I was in Memphis last week and saw several of these groups...25-50 people standing around waiting....I explained to my engineer that this is what I used to see in Phoenix....must be making a difference.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:58 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,341,146 times
I think other states will follow Arizona's lead.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:22 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times
I disagree with everyone's statements. I think the rhetoric is definitely down. A few years ago, Illegals were scapegoats for the horrible economy and a lot of anti-illegal and anti-Latino vitriol was present. Since the economy has improved, you don't hear a lot of that. And since politicians like Russel Pearce and Joe Arpaio have fallen out of favor recently, that has also contributed to this.

I think Arizona residents are hypocritical. The same state that wants to come down on illegals does not want to mandate e-verfiy for all businesses. The truth is Arizona residents want enough illegals to aid the construction industry and businesses but not too many to tax our healthcare system and schools.

It's a joke. So many businesses hire people with fake papers but don't use e-verify. They know their papers are fake but hire them anyway and then play dumb "Well he had papers"

Old 04-28-2012, 10:26 PM

26 posts, read 35,156 times
Im from Arizona & there still clamping down on Illegals as far as phoenix I would move there becouse some one gits shot or stabed every day there crime rate is really high

Old 04-28-2012, 10:32 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I disagree with everyone's statements. I think the rhetoric is definitely down. A few years ago, Illegals were scapegoats for the horrible economy and a lot of anti-illegal and anti-Latino vitriol was present. Since the economy has improved, you don't hear a lot of that. And since politicians like Russel Pearce and Joe Arpaio have fallen out of favor recently, that has also contributed to this.

I think Arizona residents are hypocritical. The same state that wants to come down on illegals does not want to mandate e-verfiy for all businesses. The truth is Arizona residents want enough illegals to aid the construction industry and businesses but not too many to tax our healthcare system and schools.

It's a joke. So many businesses hire people with fake papers but don't use e-verify. They know their papers are fake but hire them anyway and then play dumb "Well he had papers"
I agree. E=verify has been upheld by the court. Aside from one early case in which they busted an employer who was already going out of business, I can't recall any instances where it has been enforced. The whole anti-illegal thing has been little more than bravado and BS. The illegals left because the jobs went away. If/when the jobs come back so will the illegals. And they will be tolerated just like they were before because they mean bigger profits for the development industry that calls the tune in Arizona.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:33 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,894,395 times
Definitely agree with azriverfan, the rhetoric is way down. Pearce got chucked by the wayside. Even old Arpayaso's losing fans with his showmanship, and PHX is a majority minority city now. Expect a more mobilized brown voting power to emerge in the coming years and a lot of push back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area