Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 06:44 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunluv View Post
No idea what he's talking about. Most areas here have not even the hint of danger.
But there ARE areas like every other city that are not really safe for most. You'll most likely know 'em if you come across them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 07:04 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
But there ARE areas like every other city that are not really safe for most. You'll most likely know 'em if you come across them.
I disagree. There are few, if any, areas here that are unsafe to be in. We simply do not have urban ghettos like in most major cities. We have poverty pockets and in those areas there is drug and gang activity and the other trappings of poverty. But there is nowhere that if you make a wrong turn off the freeway, your life might be in jeopardy.

The trolls can rant about crime but the statistics are clear: Phoenix metro has a low crime rate relative to its size. The suburbs are among the safest places in America - large or small. I have never heard of anyone who worries for his safety while going about his business here.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:41 PM

102 posts, read 230,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsesta1687 View Post
I have a friend who used to teach here. Says on the top end being a principal the salary is 65,000 if that. Not that you can compare because everything is relative but back east we know a third grade teacher who is making 110k.
You also have to realize that salaries are paid with higher property taxes as well. I own two homes, one in suburban Chicago, and my rental in Peoria. Sure, Chicago area teachers get paid a truckload of cash, but my freaking Illinois property taxes are over $8000 annually. Now my Arizona taxes? Try $1200 yearly. Makes home ownership more affordable, and from what my tenant says, Peoria has one of the better school systems in the valley. He's a lifelong Arizona resident with kids in grade school and high school, so he should know. Low pay doesn't always mean low caliber talent.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:05 PM

371 posts, read 378,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I disagree. There are few, if any, areas here that are unsafe to be in. We simply do not have urban ghettos like in most major cities. We have poverty pockets and in those areas there is drug and gang activity and the other trappings of poverty. But there is nowhere that if you make a wrong turn off the freeway, your life might be in jeopardy.

The trolls can rant about crime but the statistics are clear: Phoenix metro has a low crime rate relative to its size. The suburbs are among the safest places in America - large or small. I have never heard of anyone who worries for his safety while going about his business here.
That's good to hear, I used Google Street view and saw some rough looking areas, but nothing on the level of what I see here or in Miami.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:14 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high_plains_drifter View Post
That's good to hear, I used Google Street view and saw some rough looking areas, but nothing on the level of what I see here or in Miami.
Absolutely correct. And Ponderosa nailed it, as well. People in this forum use the word "ghetto" indiscriminately and probably have no idea what a true ghetto is really like. Do we have shabby neighborhoods in the metro area? Sure. But nothing to compare with the mean streets of Detroit, Chicago, etc.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:50 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,600,956 times
Quote:
lol agreed. That guy having to "rough" it minus 60k gets no sympathy here.

As far as the educational system I believe that it's still decent here, and any parent who is concerned about it can decide to take an active role to compensate for any perceived deficiencies-family influence at home is a huge if not the critical factor, not the system itself.
Absolutely. As a former teacher (for a decade), I'd have to say that most of it comes from the home. I've seen kids who went to great schools and their parents didn't care too much and they "fell through the cracks" so to speak. I've also worked at an urban school where the kids whose parents really did care got a great education, despite the school being "not so great". Of course it would have been better if those kids were at a different school but I think you get the point.

There are good schools here despite what people say about the educational system. I had the opportunity to visit a few schools and run some studies there with some teachers. I don't see differences in teaching methods here vs where I came from (NYC metro area). Then again, this was the Kyrene school district (Aprende Middle School), which is known for having excelling and highly performing schools. I thought Aprende Middle School was a great school when I visited for a week.

To the person who took a 60K paycut and said that HS here are horrendous... have you looked into "Corona del Sol", "Chaparral", "Chandler HS", "Shadow Mountain HS", etc? Here's a link to excelling schools: Best Schools in Phoenix - Find a Good School in Maricopa County Of course there's also the Phoenix Country Day School if you have the money. You can't judge a school by the "reading list" they send you over the summer.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
That's north NJ, 20 minutes outside of NYC. Then again, the teachers union is the strongest in that state. Teachers retire with 80 percent of their income as their pension and full benefits for life.
If you're talking about Bergen County, you seriously can't compare that to anywhere else in the country. There's a reason why people in Bergen County pay an average of $4.19 for every $100 worth of property owned and the average home costs somewhere around $400 - $500K. Teachers, fire fighters, and cops make a lot of money there. Much higher than the national average. I taught at two different districts in Bergen County and grew up there so I know very well what you're talking about. Except for CT, no where else in the country are teacher salaries this high and it's comparing one extreme to the other. Not a very fair comparison if you ask me. Move to Passaic or Essex counties and your salary will decrease by $20K at the very least.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I always remember one of my first visits to AZ, about 30 years ago (side note: I can't believe I can now write about something I did 30 years ago!!!). Coming home to NJ I flew out of Tucson. On the day I left, I had already returned my rental car and I walked from my hotel to the airport. Not far, a couple of blocks maybe. It was over 100 and I barely broke a sweat. Also had to walk out to the plane (Tucson didn't have jetways then, so even to the larger planes you had to walk out on the tarmac and go up the stairs). Again, no sweat. 5 hours or so later after we landed in Newark and they opened the cabin door the humidity -even inside the airport jetway - was so bad it hit me immediately. And the temp in Newark that day was in the 80s. I've been waiting to move to Arizona ever since (not just for the dry heat though). Less than three weeks to go!
You will love it here! Welcome!

Old 06-06-2012, 11:47 PM

28 posts, read 61,490 times
Quote:
No idea what he's talking about. Most areas here have not even the hint of danger.
You're living in a bubble. Take a trip down to the local Phoenix police department. Any detective there will tell you there is a very high rate of home invasions here, gang related, drug related and randoms. Have you ever served on a grand jury here? My guess is not. In one day you will hear of at least 8 to 10 home invasion cases.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:52 AM

344 posts, read 812,979 times
Quote:
You're living in a bubble. Take a trip down to the local Phoenix police department. Any detective there will tell you there is a very high rate of home invasions here, gang related, drug related and randoms. Have you ever served on a grand jury here? My guess is not. In one day you will hear of at least 8 to 10 home invasion cases.
Actually, I went down to one of the precincts and got full stats for each district in greater Phoenix, which only cemented what I'm teaching you. The stats confirmed my own experience; unlike most here I've lived in some questionable neighborhoods that as others have mentioned, that are called ghetto here but can't compete with the real deal.

Try to get out of your house more often LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area