Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 12:19 PM

180 posts, read 475,455 times

Advertisements

I just moved to the Tempe, AZ about 2 months ago. Can any longtime residents of the metro area tell me what is the history of Tempe. I have noticed that everything above Broadway and west of Dobson rd seems to be bombed out. There is only one grocery store, Food City, and only one dollar store that I know of. It seems like ever business of every kind avoids this side of town, except for Liquor stores and Hookah Lounges.

Does this side of town have a bad reputation? The only place I can think of that really has any business is Tempe Marketplace, and even that seems to still be avoiding Tempe all together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 12:53 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyurban View Post
I just moved to the Tempe, AZ about 2 months ago. Can any longtime residents of the metro area tell me what is the history of Tempe. I have noticed that everything above Broadway and west of Dobson rd seems to be bombed out. There is only one grocery store, Food City, and only one dollar store that I know of. It seems like ever business of every kind avoids this side of town, except for Liquor stores and Hookah Lounges.

Does this side of town have a bad reputation? The only place I can think of that really has any business is Tempe Marketplace, and even that seems to still be avoiding Tempe all together.
I'm not sure you are really asking about the history of the city of Tempe, although there's a lot of information out there about Tempe history.

You haven't been to Mill Avenue, evidently. I would not call the area north of Broadway and east of Dobson "bombed out" either, that's a bit extreme. That part of town (and I'm thinking primarily east of Mill Ave and the University) is older, lower income, etc. As far as "bad reputation", I don't know that the whole area has that, it's just not the better part of the city. I think the area along the light rail would have developed more by now had the economy not gone so far south at the time the light rail was finished. University Dr has some newer construction in terms of apartments, but the economy has slowed things down there, too, even in the Cornerstone area there's a lot of store vacancies. I don't know what you mean about Tempe Marketplace "avoiding the city of Tempe".

Old 06-05-2012, 08:08 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,719,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyurban View Post

There really aren't any "ghetto" parts to Tempe IMO. I live near McClintock and Baseline. If anything, I consider the far western part of Tempe to be seedier than anything in East Tempe. In particular, the trailer park on Priest when you are pulling out of Arizona Mills seems old and decayed. Probably some methheads who hide out there collecting SSDI for some fictitious "mental illness" preventing them from being contributing tax payers.Honestly the only eyesore I have seen here. Even Guadalupe isn't bad. Of course I'm a fan of authentic gritty SW flavor so I have no problem stopping at the produce shops there on Priest just south of AZ Mills.

Otherwise, I highly recommend Tempe for anyone relocating here. Very centralized in the valley and plenty of amenities for shopping. Kiwanis Park is nice little park near Guadalupe and Mill.

In closing, I take Price Road all the time from Rio Salado to Baseline after work to avoid the 101 logjam. I don't find any of the areas to look "unsafe" or trashy near Price. Probably the stretch from Broadway to Southern seems to have the oldest looking homes but they don't look bad. Having lived near NYC and Buffalo, I have seen some pretty scary neighborhoods.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:35 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,993,050 times
Who cares if the only grocery store on Apache is a Food City? Safeway and Fry's and Basha's are a 5 minute car ride away.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:32 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,767,260 times
Magnum there isn't an intersection of Guadalupe/Mill it turns into Lakeshore Dr after Baseline and exits out to Rural. Anyway this post is ridiculous the area the OP is referring to is the area heavily populated by ASU students. Yes and older area but definitely not ghetto. I live By the AZ Mills near that trailer park and there are no ill affects to it.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:34 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,602,273 times
What about Sunflower Market on McClintock and Southern? Their produce is top quality.
South Tempe is nice (below Baseline). 85281 (the area you're referring to) is a bit older and lower income. Look in 85283 and parts of 85282.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:20 AM

And don't leave out 85284.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:01 AM

49 posts, read 69,100 times
The area is populated by college kids living off of mommy and daddy's money so they don't have much to spend themselves. The area has been going in and out of construction and new residency plans for incoming students. The lightrail area is becoming very nice and expensive. The main problem is the area 15 years ago was booming, as was all of Arizona. People started picking up real estate and commercial land and when it crashed as did the financial backing for all of the big plans. I live near Rural and Guadalupe and I can drive 2 miles in any direction and get literally anything including each major freeway (I10 & 101).

Old 06-07-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylfe11 View Post
The area is populated by college kids living off of mommy and daddy's money so they don't have much to spend themselves. The area has been going in and out of construction and new residency plans for incoming students. The lightrail area is becoming very nice and expensive. The main problem is the area 15 years ago was booming, as was all of Arizona. People started picking up real estate and commercial land and when it crashed as did the financial backing for all of the big plans. I live near Rural and Guadalupe and I can drive 2 miles in any direction and get literally anything including each major freeway (I10 & 101).

Well, the area along University and Apache, which is what the OP is asking about, was never "booming"....nor has there been much going into that area (except construction related to ASU), since they started building the light rail, thanks to the economic slowdown. I wouldn't call any of the light rail area south of the river and east of the University "nice and expensive".

Where you are (and I am) in south Tempe is much different.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:57 AM

49 posts, read 69,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I wouldn't call any of the light rail area south of the river and east of the University "nice and expensive".
I was referring more to the areas being built now. If you look at the new construction near dobson rd (although north of the line is older). Apache and the 101 apartments are nice. Then right at Rural, the new living residence on the south side is nice. I didn't mean the area as a whole as the area is older, as you indicated. I was trying to draw towards the point that its a work in progress and by constructing newer apartments/condos the area is looking nicer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area