Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 09:58 AM

284 posts, read 700,847 times

Advertisements

I strongly believe that cable companies (Cox in particular) should be required to provide an emergency number answered by a human being in the same state.

Yesterday afternoon our Internet, digital cable and digital phone all went out. We assumed in that case it was not our home that was the problem and waited. After several hours I called Cox on our cell phone. I waited on hold, spoke to someone in the phone department who transferred me to another department, on hold again, and that person said there was no outage in our area and that he had to transfer me again but I wouldn't be on hold, but the system said the wait would be eight minutes! I hung up.

Waited an hour, called again, this time on hold for over ten minutes (and our tv and cable were working but slooowly, no phone) and this time was told there was an outage in our area and they were working on it! And everything did come back in the hour she said.

We use a cell phone for emergencies and have limited weekday minutes. Luckily it was a Saturday when that all happened, but on a weekday I would have been upset. I intend to call Cox tomorrow and tell a supervisor what happened - I know I won't get anywhere. Anyone got a direct number I should call?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 10:18 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Lol, if you find one, let me know. Cox is wonderful 99% of the time, and a nightmare when it fails.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:24 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Lol, if you find one, let me know. Cox is wonderful 99% of the time, and a nightmare when it fails.
Agree 100%. And now that we have moved to NC and have time warner, Cox is one of the things I miss the most.

Politely put: quit complaining and count your lucky stars that you've got Cox instead of the alternatives. IMHO.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:13 AM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Don't start off with the attitude of "I know I won't get anywhere."

For future reference, any time you call Cox, make a note of who you talk to, including a last name. Personally, I would never trust them with my phone service.

I do have some direct numbers somewhere, but I'm not sure what supervisor you should be looking for, since they seem to have their departments (e.g., cable, phone, etc.) separated. In fact, your experience with Cox is rather good, compared to mine. After all, your service came back without much effort on your part. And they did have live people answering their phones, but you can't expect an immediate pick-up every moment. Since everything went out, I'm puzzled that you wouldn't wait 10 minutes, which isn't that bad. My problem with Cox was when it involved waits of over 45 minutes.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:29 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Cox is sometimes unreliable and has dreadful customer service. I don't even bother to call. The thing gets fixed eventually. If one needs a dependable emergency phone, then get Qwest or whatever name they have these days.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:45 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
we all love to hate the cable company, whichever one it is in our area....gotta say I have full working service from Cox 99.9999% of the time....but, as zippy says, when I lose internet (the usual failure), I feel like I want to kill myself.....they have a scripted troubleshooting thing when you call for help, which usually doesn't help....sometimes it's been my own modem starting to fail....other times I unplug some of/all the modem connections, replug, and it works again....sometimes....

Old 06-17-2012, 01:28 PM

846 posts, read 1,400,926 times
I have NEVER had success with Cox on the phone. I have, however, have had AMAZING success reaching out to their social media department! That sounds insane, I know... but I complained on Twitter about the service I was receiving with Cox in the store and they have done wonders for me. They got someone out to fix my internet for free (regardless of whose fault it was and we don't have that protection plan). Than, I got so grumpy about my service they managed to reduce my early termination fee from $100 to $30! I don't have cable or telephone through them anymore--just internet and now not locked into a contract.

Heck, it's worth giving it a shot.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:35 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
I agree with the above, I had an issue with my Cox internet and called their tech support and got no where. I was later called with a survey of how my issue was handled and I unloaded on them. The next day I was called by someone high up the corporate ladder and she worked with me and followed up until the problem was resolved completely. I had the head technical guy in the Phoenix area calling me and on the phone with the tech at my house. The tech at my house was kind of nervous having to explain what he was doing to his bosses boss.

I would attempt to contact someone outside of the normal call center people as you'll have more luck.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:46 PM

284 posts, read 700,847 times
We originally had Qwest phone service but kept losing service with them. To give them credit, they did try all sorts of different fixes but nothing solved the problem and we got so frustrated with them we decided Cox couldn't be any worse.
Our internet and cable service here are interrupted much more often than with Time Warner in Ohio.

I did wait on hold the ten minutes the second time I called. The first time I had been on hold, been transferred (with a hold both times) twice and told there was no outage in our area before I hung up rather than wait eight minutes after I had been told there wouldn't be a wait.

Old 06-19-2012, 04:13 PM

603 posts, read 946,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
I have NEVER had success with Cox on the phone. I have, however, have had AMAZING success reaching out to their social media department!
I agree with this. The people manning their phones are terrible. However, I found out that they have technicians that monitor the forums over at DSLreports. Whenever I've had trouble, I send a PM to one of them, and get a knowledgeable response in about 10-15 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area