Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 10:31 AM

188 posts, read 515,782 times

Advertisements

None of this kind of activity is going to end until people realize that we aren't any more important than other living creatures on this planet. Too many people look at animals as just that... beneath them. It's petty, ignorant, and cruel.

What's even more annoying are people that keep breeding animals. I'm sure some do it responsibly, but until the animals in the shelters and rescue groups are gone, there is no need for more puppies and kittens running around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 11:02 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times
I've worked in animal rescue for a very long time.

Abandoned animals are a tremendous problem everywhere, in addition to backyard breeders, stupid people who want their children to experience "the miracle of birth" with "just one litter," people who don't spay/neuter their pets, and owners who allow their pets to roam freely at the mercy of traffic, deliberately cruel people, and other predators.

There are many organizations in the Phoenix metro area which have different focuses to their rescue efforts. Some are breed-specific, and visit the pound for purebreds. Others (as the one I mentioned earlier in this thread) direct their efforts toward people who have lost their homes through foreclosure or eviction. Others don't accept owner surrendered animals, but rescue from the euthansia list at the pound and humane society. Even with so many organizations, the sheer numbers of animals in need are still overwhelming.

People who want to make a difference can donate money, services, or supplies (no amount is too small!), foster, adopt, or volunteer. Keep your efforts local, investigate the rescue groups to make sure your money is well spent, and get involved.

Bottom line, observer53 is correct - these organizations are volunteer-run by people who have regular careers/jobs and do animal rescue in their off hours. Add to that the astonishing numbers of calls and inquiries, and you may not get swift responses, even from the best run rescues.

Last edited by Kimballette; 08-21-2012 at 08:19 AM..

Old 08-17-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
I've worked in animal rescue for a very long time.

Abandoned animals are a tremendous problem everywhere, in addition to backyard breeders, stupid people who want their children to experience "the miracle of birth" with "just one litter," people who don't spay/neuter their pets, and owners who allow their pets to roam freely at the mercy of traffic, deliberately cruel people, and other predators.

There are many organizations in the Phoenix metro area which have different focuses to their rescue efforts. Some are breed-specific, and visit the pound for purebreds. Others (as the one I mentioned earlier in this thread) direct their efforts toward people who have lost their homes through foreclosure or eviction. Others don't accept owner surrendered animals, but rescue from the euthansia list at the pound and humane society. Even with so many organizations, the sheer numbers of animals in need are still overwhelming.

People who want to make a difference can donate money, services, or supplies (no amount is too small!), foster, or adopt. Keep your efforts local, investigate the rescue groups to make sure your money is well spent, and get involved.

Bottom line, observer53 is correct - these organizations are volunteer-run by people who have regular careers/jobs and do animal rescue in their off hours. Add to that the astonishing numbers of calls and inquiries, and you may not get swift responses, even from the best run rescues.
Here here! I agree... I get my dogs only from rescues and have fostered/trained in the past. Some rescues need better leadership though as one that I am familiar with is led by someone who likes to push off problems onto others

Old 08-17-2012, 06:54 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,057,995 times
Quote:
There's actually a Realtor group that rescues abandoned animals from foreclosed properties, evictions, and other financial hardships - Lost Our Home Pet Foundation. Pet abandonment is a widespread problem, and, sadly, is not unique to Phoenix.
I wasn't aware of that group - awesome! My office often sends e-mails out with photos of animals that have been abandoned. We do our very best to find good homes for the poor animals left behind.

Also, just read about this group trying to help people/pets in this dire situation: PetSmart, non-profit create pets-allowed emergency shelter in Scottsdale

Last edited by AZ Tracy; 08-17-2012 at 07:06 PM..

Old 08-17-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
I wasn't aware of that group - awesome! My office often sends e-mails out with photos of animals that have been abandoned. We do our very best to find good homes for the poor animals left behind.

Also, just read about this group trying to help people/pets in this dire situation: PetSmart, non-profit create pets-allowed emergency shelter in Scottsdale
Wow! That's a great idea! Thanks for sharing that!

Old 08-20-2012, 08:45 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarichter View Post
None of this kind of activity is going to end until people realize that we aren't any more important than other living creatures on this planet. Too many people look at animals as just that... beneath them. It's petty, ignorant, and cruel.

What's even more annoying are people that keep breeding animals. I'm sure some do it responsibly, but until the animals in the shelters and rescue groups are gone, there is no need for more puppies and kittens running around.
Yes, it's a widespread issue though. I don't think Arizona has as many breeders as the mid west actually, I'd have to check but I'd bet not. This isn't specific to our pet animals though, we do it with our food supply as well. We waist a lot of animals so to speak. Raise a lot of animals and them throw them away somehow.
I don't see how this is specific to Phoenix, I think this is just a general issue in America if not the world. Just my opinion of course but I don't see the connection to Phoenix.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Yes, it's a widespread issue though. I don't think Arizona has as many breeders as the mid west actually, I'd have to check but I'd bet not. This isn't specific to our pet animals though, we do it with our food supply as well. We waist a lot of animals so to speak. Raise a lot of animals and them throw them away somehow.
I don't see how this is specific to Phoenix, I think this is just a general issue in America if not the world. Just my opinion of course but I don't see the connection to Phoenix.
I would agree that is an issue with America in general... but I do see a connection with Phoenix because there are plenty of people that breed dogs here to make a buck. There is also a good amount of livestock here as well that probably results in what you describe. Compared to the midwest, probably no where near that volume... but it's atrocious anyway you color it. The wonderful caveat of not consuming so much meat is health. However, try telling that to the general public... I'd get stoned if I stated something like that in public

Old 08-20-2012, 08:54 AM

Let's steer the discussion back to abandoned animals in the Phoenix metro area, please. Larger discussions about the food supply, etc. do not belong in this forum. Thanks.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:17 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Let's steer the discussion back to abandoned animals in the Phoenix metro area, please. Larger discussions about the food supply, etc. do not belong in this forum. Thanks.
I totally agree and on that note I'm happy to see Phoenix has an Animal Cruelty Task Force now. Like the ones you see on Animal Planet. They've really done a great job so far.
Phoenix forms animal cruelty task force after dog dumping ground discovered | azfamily.com Phoenix

Abandonment is considered abuse:
AZ Animal Cruelty Statute

Since we had a lot of foreclosures we had a lot of animals left behind. I think we've done a pretty good job addressing it. There are a lot of people like yourself who have actually stepped up and helped out. Good to see.
I of course have saved numerous Gila Monsters this year.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:48 AM

603 posts, read 946,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2.0 View Post
I don't see the relevance in mentioning that the dog was a purebred. Would it be more acceptable if it were a mutt?
No, I just think he means that this wasn't a dog that someone picked up at the shelter on a whim. It was a dog that someone had to pay a lot of money to a breeder for. It's not like the pit mixes that seem to make up about 60% of the dog population in the local shelters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area