Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 06:18 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduke View Post
Yes a portion of drinking water is canal water.

Where is the best place to fish in the canal system. Haven't tried it yet getting too old for a trip to big lake
Much of the canal system is marked no trespassing for liability purposes. There are 25 municipal waters that are stocked with fish by game and fish. They get trout in winter and catfish and such in summer. Check out the urban fishing program.

Urban Fishing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 06:22 AM

2,786 posts, read 7,448,732 times
In SRP-maintained canals, it is legal to fish with a license, but any white amur must be thrown back. That particular species is protected because those fish are deliberately placed in the canals to manage plant growth:

Fishing in SRP canals

Old 06-12-2014, 07:49 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
I remember people fishing the canals when I was young. We use to swim in them as kids, although not allowed anymore for good reason. We use to get crawdads out of them.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:46 PM

768 posts, read 1,759,338 times
Routinely, I see people fishing on the canals in Scottsdale near 64th St and Indian School. At least once a year, I see trucks stocking the ponds in the city parks. The lakes/ponds on Hayden Rd between Indian School and Chaparral Roads are very popular for fishing.

Old 09-08-2014, 03:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,706 times
Actually the canals are our drinking water. They are part of the SRP Project. Back in the 1980's they stocked the canals with White Armur, A type of carp. They did this in-order to keep the weed control down so they didn't have to use backhoes and chains to scrap the bottoms of the canals. Because they are NOT NATIVE to Arizona if you catch one while fishing you have to release it immediately unharmed! You are allowed to fish the canals with a fishing license but do not need an Urban fishing license to fish. And there is no regulations to fishing at night, however you still have to abide by all catch limits, and other regulations. I have ate catfish out of the canals and they are actually good. Shopping carts and bags im sure aren't going to affect our water? They're not chemicals or anything? lol But as long as you don't take non native fish you can keep and fish in any canals.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:44 AM

20 posts, read 33,187 times
I still chuckle at how people in the area call grass carp white amurs. When I was first researching fishing in Phoenix, before moving there, I got excited that there was some mystical fish that me, a well-versed fisherman, had never heard of! Upon further research and seeing that they are simply grass carp, I was let down, to say the least.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:39 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUNI2001 View Post
I still chuckle at how people in the area call grass carp white amurs. When I was first researching fishing in Phoenix, before moving there, I got excited that there was some mystical fish that me, a well-versed fisherman, had never heard of! Upon further research and seeing that they are simply grass carp, I was let down, to say the least.
Coming from Florida, you'll be very unhappy with the fishing in phoenix. Sorry.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:41 AM

20 posts, read 33,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Coming from Florida, you'll be very unhappy with the fishing in phoenix. Sorry.
I know

I did find some cool little ponds near papago park, and they seem like they might be stocked with fish. If I remember correctly, the grass carp were referred to as White Amurs on the fishing signs near those ponds. Luckily, I knew what that meant!

I am kind of excited to "Urban fish" however, and I hope to find a few good places along the canal to try out. I don't officially move out there until Sept 18th, so I'll have a lot of exploring to do.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:48 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Don't forget that you need a special Urban fishing license for these ponds. It's a lovely program, especially for introducing kids to fishing

Best wishes for you and your wife in your new home in Phoenix. We loved it there for 25+ years (but NOT the fishing)

Old 09-08-2014, 09:18 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,891,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUNI2001 View Post
I know

I did find some cool little ponds near papago park, and they seem like they might be stocked with fish. If I remember correctly, the grass carp were referred to as White Amurs on the fishing signs near those ponds. Luckily, I knew what that meant!

I am kind of excited to "Urban fish" however, and I hope to find a few good places along the canal to try out. I don't officially move out there until Sept 18th, so I'll have a lot of exploring to do.
They start stocking trout around town once the water temp stays under 60 degrees or so. AZ Game and Fish web site has a Valley map of stocked ponds. Papago's a good one. Evelyn Hall nearby isn't bad. The canals are good for cats while its hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area