Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 02:32 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,047,257 times

Advertisements

I've used SuperShuttle many times. While it's not quite as fast/convienent as a taxi, I've been satisfied with the service. If you're not filling up the van, the driver will make an effort to pick up some additional riders, but your time exposure is not unlimited here. On some trips I've been the only rider, actually.

hikernut
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 06:04 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,845,111 times
Personally, at 11 pm with a toddler..I would rent a car. See if there are any rental companies in AJ and rent from the same so you don't have to drive forever to get it back. Or are you leaving the next day? Even down here in BF Egypt we have enterprise...so not impossible.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:36 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,945,464 times
There are several rental car companies at the airport I would go that route, they make drop off and p/u pretty quick

Old 09-08-2012, 10:51 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,690,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Personally, at 11 pm with a toddler..I would rent a car. See if there are any rental companies in AJ and rent from the same so you don't have to drive forever to get it back. Or are you leaving the next day? Even down here in BF Egypt we have enterprise...so not impossible.
I should have clarified what I said.

I've done the rental car route before. I rent the car for a day and return it off-airport the next day. It's less of a hassle of taking it all the way back to PHX, but it's still a hassle because I have to coordinate with my host as the ride back to where I'm staying, etc.

I am not going to do the SuperShuttle with other people. I have no interest in doing that because it'll add time to the trip.

I'm either going to get a dedicated ride from SuperShuttle/Execucar for just me and the family, get a rental car, or look at other car service options.

The logistics aren't the problem - I can figure that out. I was just trying to see if people had any other car services they could recommend BESIDES SuperShuttle/Execucar.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:36 AM

165 posts, read 405,676 times
I live in SE Gilbert. The last time we went to Sky Harbor for a trip, we took the Super Shuttle dedicated service. It was great. We had an early flight and left the house around 5AM. There were 3 adults, 1 child and 1 toddler in a car seat. The driver was great and the service showed up right on time. For the ride back, we just went to the shuttle stop where they told us to go, and the dedicated van was there in about 5-10 minutes. This was around midnight when we got to the van stop.

We will use SS on all of our future trips. It was a great service. I don't remember the exact costs, but it was pretty reasonable from what I remember.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:34 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,690,238 times
So to follow up on this, we've reserved a dedicated SuperShuttle for just me and my family. The person doing reservations was extremely friendly.

We have a rental car reservation as a backup just in case.

I'm actually pretty excited to see how this works. The explanation was pretty clear, how SuperShuttle has agents waiting at the terminals, and how we would have the van all to ourselves. The price point is considerably cheaper than a rental car, so I'm hoping it's not "too good to be true".

I'll follow up. If this works out, this could be the new way we travel to AJ from Sky Harbor.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:56 PM

9,524 posts, read 16,505,688 times
Is there no end to the lack of getting around such a massive Metro without a car. Here is an example. An outrageous bill for a cab or a supershuttle just to go to the local airport. Why do residents put up with this year after, and there not be the normal level of bus service for a metro this size. This is the 5th largest city or Metro in the USA, with this lack of service. What a joke.

After reading this thread with the pitiful options that are offered in this area. I would treat myself to the easiest method even though its an expensive option. I would rent the car. I wouldn't waste my time and all the effort with the supershuttle and forget the cab. There is no excuse to pay a cab that kind of money, just to sit in the back seat. Then you have to I assume add a nice sizeble tip. Because that driver expects more than $2.00. For what I don't know, all you do is sit there and pay the ripoff amount for the ride. Treat yoursell to the car rental and then your on your time, and not at anyones mercy. Watiting around like on that shutte.

If I lived closer to the airport than way out here in the Surprise area. I would give you a ride. I hate to see someone ripped off like that. It just really irriates me. Probably because I know I am going to face the same problem, when I need to get to the airport and home again. Good Luck.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:58 AM

391 posts, read 787,828 times
Within our area of Peoria, several people offer rides to and from the airport usually with the option of using your vehicle or theirs. If you could find one of those contacts in AJ, you would be fine from then on. Ours are listed on the community websites. Having said that, we often rent a car, then drive back the next day with our own vehicle to drop off the rental. We can always make up a reason to go for a drive and justify the extra trip. Our neighbors often pick us up or drop us off. Theyre etired and love to have something to do and make a few bucks.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:45 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Is there no end to the lack of getting around such a massive Metro without a car. Here is an example. An outrageous bill for a cab or a supershuttle just to go to the local airport. Why do residents put up with this year after, and there not be the normal level of bus service for a metro this size. This is the 5th largest city or Metro in the USA, with this lack of service. What a joke.

After reading this thread with the pitiful options that are offered in this area. I would treat myself to the easiest method even though its an expensive option. I would rent the car. I wouldn't waste my time and all the effort with the supershuttle and forget the cab. There is no excuse to pay a cab that kind of money, just to sit in the back seat. Then you have to I assume add a nice sizeble tip. Because that driver expects more than $2.00. For what I don't know, all you do is sit there and pay the ripoff amount for the ride. Treat yoursell to the car rental and then your on your time, and not at anyones mercy. Watiting around like on that shutte.

If I lived closer to the airport than way out here in the Surprise area. I would give you a ride. I hate to see someone ripped off like that. It just really irriates me. Probably because I know I am going to face the same problem, when I need to get to the airport and home again. Good Luck.
Shuttling back and forth from the rental car center is a pain, too. It's not wrong to rent a car, either, everyone's tolerances are different, and individual situations vary, too.

In the OP's situation, I'd use SuperShuttle too. For future though, the approach in the post just above is a great one, too.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:37 AM

357 posts, read 711,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post

I do agree Phoenix's public transportation is bad but people choose where to live and should weigh the pros and cons. Most cities where a suburb is 35 miles out from the city center doesnt have good public transportation to an airport in the middle of the city. When you choose to live in Surprise or Apache Junction you should already know going in that the public transportation is non-existent. That is one of the advantages of living closer in to the city - a $25 cab ride rather than what the OP is dealing with. Once the light rail is connected to the airport via the "sky train" I think it will help a lot with transportation for many of us as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area