Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 07:46 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I've ridden on several light rail systems in this country. Portland, San Diego and the one line that is in operation in Phoenix. None of them have turnstyles. I know Portland is pitiful for not collecting fares or checking passes. Thousands ride free everyday in that city. I use to work at the Portland airport, and rode the train to the airport every work day. It was ridiculous as the train made its way thru the city, just how many people rode free. If there was a fare inspector that came on.( which was almost never) these passengers would fly off that train if it stopped in time. Of course Portland has an unusually large down and out type population. Much more than other cities I have seen of similiar size. So fare evasion is high partly due to that. These people are broke or many are just plain high and on Meth half the time. So I agree these stations should be built, with some type of structure that prohibits people entering without paying.
Again, it's too late for that-- they made that choice when the system was designed, knowing that not everyone would pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 06:11 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,709,785 times
Thank you for the serious responses. At the time I posted, I was really only thinking about bus riders. But, broadly, a viable transit system is important to just about everyone in terms of a sort of ripple effect - fewer cars needed equals better air, for instance.

As to the turnstile idea - well, I see so much that is stupidly designed (e.g. the bus shelters), that's it's just one more instance of poor planning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area