Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 05:25 PM

196 posts, read 262,866 times

Advertisements

Is there much to do around Christmas time?? I am planning on visiting PHX for my own personal celebration (I been hard at work for over a yr and a half for college) and wanted to know if there was a lot to do.
It is the only time I have a break from college and I want to scout out my area for where I will be living which is out Black Canyon Hwy. I know swimming is out because it will be cold so what else can I stock my week with? Suggestions? There is nothing here in KY to do so why stay here. I said last year that I'd be in AZ since I hate it so bad here. SO hopefully I will be booking my flgt, hotel, and car soon.
Thanks in advance for helping me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 05:30 PM

455 posts, read 1,499,493 times
Check out the Zoo lights at the Phx zoo. Lots of fun.
SRP Presents Zoolights

Curly

Old 11-12-2012, 05:35 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
Sedona at Christmas

Phoenix at Christmas

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 11-12-2012, 05:38 PM

lights at the zoo. perfect. love animals and like looking at lights. thanks for the great suggestions.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:43 PM

800 posts, read 1,911,218 times
Check out the City of Glendale. They have some of the best Holiday celebrations and light displays in the Valley. Very festive.

What kind of things do you like doing? Winter is a great time to enjoy the outdoors in the desert. There are hiking trails galore if you like that kind of thing. Sightseeing, if you are renting a car, is also a must-do.

Where exactly "out Black Canyon Highway" are you going to be? BCH is I-17 which goes through Phoenix and all the way to Flagstaff.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Chris Webb View Post
Check out the City of Glendale. They have some of the best Holiday celebrations and light displays in the Valley. Very festive.

What kind of things do you like doing? Winter is a great time to enjoy the outdoors in the desert. There are hiking trails galore if you like that kind of thing. Sightseeing, if you are renting a car, is also a must-do.

Where exactly "out Black Canyon Highway" are you going to be? BCH is I-17 which goes through Phoenix and all the way to Flagstaff.
--I'll b around the Glendale area. I will be getting a rental so sightseeing is gonna happen!

I want to look around at some extended stay type places since i plan to move out in around mar-aug. got to find a job, there is nothing here in ky. nothing at all. so i might leave earlier. way more opportunity in a bigger city.

I guess I could hike once see if i like it in az. i dont really do too much here in KY. usually been working for 10yrs and now wrapped up in college work. i stay busy so a vacation is much needed but might get boring. therefore i'm trying to see what i can get lined up. plan to also scout out the area of where to live and see what the job front holds. ya know.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:54 AM

267 posts, read 692,949 times
Fiesta Bowl and related activities (more New Year's than Christmas on January 3, with the Buffalo Wings/formerly Insight/Copper bowl Dec 29 at Sun Devil Stadium).

Old 11-13-2012, 04:25 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,055 times
Glendale Glitters would be a good start! Downtown Glendale is covered with lights over the christmas season. It's one of my favorite things every year. Zoo lights is always fun.. the botanical gardens does a luminaria festival, which I like more than zoo lights - so it might be worth checking out, too!

Hiking is always a good option, as suggested. But you may not be the outdoors type. Still might be worth a shot!

Check out the Phoenix New Times website for things going on around the valley. Good place to find events, concerts, shows and things.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:30 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
good options already - will also throw out the luminaries at the desert botanical gardens

Las Noches de las Luminarias | Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix, AZ

if you like lights, there are some nice displays throughout the metro - i know that i'm happier setting up lights in 70 degree weather out here than slugging them through the snow back east

many of the individual cities will have their own little fesitival .... also keep an eye on the resorts as many will have events going on

Old 11-13-2012, 12:55 PM

10 posts, read 15,464 times
This will be my first Christmas in Phoenix as well, but I did want to give you some advice on an extended stay hotel. This all depends on your budget, but try not to settle for something too low rent. You will be better off getting a 3 month or month to month lease somewhere nicer. I learned this the hard way, but now am in a very nice month to month apartment for just a little more than I was paying for a horrible extended stay, both close to Black Canyon Highway. PM me if you want to know the specific places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area