Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 06:37 AM

42 posts, read 169,375 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm checking out all the listings on line and I just keep getting turned-off by some of the common features of the mass built houses. One of my biggest dislikes: wasted space in the form of two story ceilings, humongous master bedrooms/bathrooms and houses with family/living/den combos (I would never need 3 "living" spaces). I'd like to build a house that I can tweak to fit my lifestyle.....or find one that's already been built.

I realize what I'm looking for is probably a "custom" build. Are there any neighborhoods in the Chandler or Gilbert area that would reflect what I'm looking for? (New or already built.)

I just want something energy efficient that makes good use of space, but is a nice, up-to-date style. I don't have any desire to clean or pay for a 600 sq ft master bedroom. I'd much rather see that space put to use in a nice kitchen or something.

We're looking in the $3-500k range. Hubby will be working by the Sam's Club off the 1-10, south of Ray Rd. A 20-30 minute commute is fine with us. We're coming out this weekend to look around, so I'd like to have an idea of where to have our realtor take us.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 07:03 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,281,299 times
There are, but not really in the 300k to 500k range. Perhaps far SE Gilbert going into the town of queen creek. If energy efficiency is an issue for you, avoid 2 stories altogether. For that price, have your realtor take you to montelena by maracay homes in queen creek and see if that is too far. If you want to be closer you need to consider a non custom house or a bigger budget

Old 01-24-2013, 07:16 AM

606 posts, read 1,606,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
There are, but not really in the 300k to 500k range. Perhaps far SE Gilbert going into the town of queen creek. If energy efficiency is an issue for you, avoid 2 stories altogether. For that price, have your realtor take you to montelena by maracay homes in queen creek and see if that is too far. If you want to be closer you need to consider a non custom house or a bigger budget
Really? You can't get a custom built home in those areas for 500k? I would have thought with that much money you could buy pretty much anywhere in AZ.... If I was working with half a mil I would just buy a lot and then hire a General Contractor to build the house to my exact specifications.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
Really? You can't get a custom built home in those areas for 500k? I would have thought with that much money you could buy pretty much anywhere in AZ.... If I was working with half a mil I would just buy a lot and then hire a General Contractor to build the house to my exact specifications.
Not really, some of the further away circle g ranches in Gilbert start over $500K for a house that is outdated and needs substantial upgrades, with the average probably a little over $600K. Heck I was looking at a tract home in Chandler that was listed at $600K, granted it was a 1/3 acre lot with a nice house and pool, etc. The customs in the area are at least 10% more.

Another option is one of the high efficiency new build homes. Meritage is building a new community near Lindsay and Williams Field in Gilbert that looks nice, there is Layton Lakes to the South, Pulte, Fulton Homes, etc but those are "tract" homes that the OP seems to want to avoid. There is Casa Rica a semi custom community by trend but the base prices start at over $500K before upgrades, landscaping, window treatments, etc

Old 01-24-2013, 07:58 AM

42 posts, read 169,375 times
Thanks, asufan! I just checked out the Maracay Queen Creek website and they look nice. Seems like the floor plans are well thought out, and not much space is wasted. I also love their great HERS scores. It's 40 min away from work, though, so we'll have to decide if that's a problem for him. Looks like they also have a couple of communities inside Gilbert: Lyon's Gate and Bridges of Gilbert. Mapquest says these are both shorter commutes for hubby. Do you know anything about these two subdivisions?

You say to avoid two stories; is this true even for well insulated homes? I've heard that basements are good to have in AZ, but I haven't seen too many in the listings.

@el-waiboi- I'm not opposed to hiring my own architect and GC. Do you know of any lots that can be purchased and built using my own people?

Old 01-24-2013, 08:45 AM

1,479 posts, read 2,720,706 times
Quote:
Really? You can't get a custom built home in those areas for 500k?
Not really. I agree with asufan. The issue is that the closer you get in to town, the more lots will cost. There just are not that many empty plots of land in town, as apposed to out in the desert where there are quite a few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelhuck View Post
You say to avoid two stories; is this true even for well insulated homes? I've heard that basements are good to have in AZ, but I haven't seen too many in the listings.
Even a very well insulated two story will be expensive to heat during the summer unless of course you dont mind sleeping in a hot sweaty upstairs bedroom. Basements are rare in the Phoenix area. I found a good article about the reasons why there are no basements in the valley.
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2010-...-phoenix/full/

Old 01-24-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
Basements are rare in the Phoenix area. I found a good article about the reasons why there are no basements in the valley.
Why Are There No Basements in Phoenix? - - Arts - Phoenix - Phoenix New Times
They aren't that rare in Chandler and Gilbert. I have one in my home in Chandler, and I see listings for basement homes all around me. It may be worth having a realtor pull listings of a few basement homes that fit your criteria. It does help on your utility bills. Also shutters and a newer house with upgraded insulation, dual pane windows, high efficiency HVAC helps

Old 01-24-2013, 10:26 AM

211 posts, read 544,254 times
Quote:
I would disagree to a point. I'm Out here right now looking at ALL new builds in Gilbert, chandler and Mesa. Depending on builder like Tw Lewis who does high end builds u would be 400-600k up
Honestly, I've seen almost every builders model homes so far out here. There is No reason IMO why u would need a custom built house for 500k. There are tons of gorgeous houses built by Taylor Morrison, Fulton, Pulte, Richmond American, Lennar and Shea.
My advice to you would be look at Shea homes. Best IMO for the price your looking for. An you really have to come and see the homes, online does no justice for what u can do to make ur home custom look inside . Example high end tile, showers etc. . When you see the layout in person of some homes it's seems alot more functional than wasted space. Many homes you have the option of another bedroom instead of the Den or study room.
Personal from what I've see the last few days. A 300-400k home here w non custom builders are Phenominal for what u get in terms of size and space. What you do with the space is your preference in design. Personally the nicest and close to custom design layout and attention to details within the home is Shea Homes by far. When u walk into there builds it just has the WOW factor.
We're looking In the range of 200-280k range and there are so many options and builders. But for us it's only 2 people so I have no need for anything bigger than 1900-2200 sf.
Just a waste of space and waste of money for electricity (Ac)

Hope this helps

Old 01-24-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelhuck View Post
Hello!

I'm checking out all the listings on line and I just keep getting turned-off by some of the common features of the mass built houses. One of my biggest dislikes: wasted space in the form of two story ceilings, humongous master bedrooms/bathrooms and houses with family/living/den combos (I would never need 3 "living" spaces). I'd like to build a house that I can tweak to fit my lifestyle.....or find one that's already been built.

I realize what I'm looking for is probably a "custom" build. Are there any neighborhoods in the Chandler or Gilbert area that would reflect what I'm looking for? (New or already built.)

I just want something energy efficient that makes good use of space, but is a nice, up-to-date style. I don't have any desire to clean or pay for a 600 sq ft master bedroom. I'd much rather see that space put to use in a nice kitchen or something.

We're looking in the $3-500k range. Hubby will be working by the Sam's Club off the 1-10, south of Ray Rd. A 20-30 minute commute is fine with us. We're coming out this weekend to look around, so I'd like to have an idea of where to have our realtor take us.

Thanks!
Feel free to Inbox me with your email and id be more than happy to send you some interior pictures
Of many homes we have seen for new builds . We're taking many picture for comparison on builders

Old 01-24-2013, 10:36 AM

Also. We started driving out to San tan valley and queen creek. After driving and drivin and passing cow farms etc. we said forget this. It's way to far from civilization. Wasn't worth the cheaper housing cost to be that far away Imo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area