Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 04:20 PM

48 posts, read 96,953 times

Advertisements

We will be in Phoenix in late March, and have a free Sunday afternoon. Can you recommend an easy 5 mile loop hike? Facilities and scenic views are a plus.
Maybe the regional parks are a better bet?
Also we would like to treat our hosts to dinner, grill pubs seem to be their favorites, but we are open to suggestion. Something with the real taste of Phoenix. thanks Marty D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 06:43 AM

7,167 posts, read 9,216,704 times
Tonto National Forest is huge. Lots of places to hike. It is also a bit of a drive to most places from Phoenix. Something in the Seven Springs area maybe? For more info try here:

Tonto National Forest - Home

Some of the Phoenix Parks might be easier to get to. Here is a link to South Mountain:

Official Site of the City of Phoenix - Hiking Map

For a good scenic view I like the Holbert Trail. It is a good climb tho for me.

To see other Phoenix Parks click the links on the left. Whatever you do have fun!

Old 02-14-2013, 11:28 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
The GoJohn/Overton trail in Cave Creek will fit your needs. 6 mile loop, nice hike, only 1 small section that is a little difficult.

Arizona Hiking Trails - Go John/Overton Loop

Also Spur Cross Ranch is a nice place to hike with trails that cross the Creek in several spots. Easy hike into some beautiful areas. Not a loop, hike as far as you want. I think it $2 or 3 per person, honor system.

Parks & Recreation - Maricopa County

Old 02-14-2013, 02:00 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
what part of the valley will you be driving from to get to the trailhead?....if you only have a "Sunday afternoon", you should minimize the drive time.....

if you're in the northeast valley, another option is the Gateway Loop out of the popular Gateway trailhead....when you mentioned "facilities" as a plus, it made me think of the very nice (for hikers) bathrooms at this Scottsdale trailhead!

Scottsdale's McDowell Sonoran Preserve

many of the links in the above are in .pdf format

Old 02-14-2013, 06:43 PM

284 posts, read 700,501 times
I would also consider the Freedom trail loop around Piestewa Peak for something close. Some up and down, though.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:21 AM
RCR

264 posts, read 909,330 times
I like hiking on South Mountain. If you enter the National Trailhead off 48th Street between Elliott and Baseline, you then take the Mormon Loop and if you are up to it the Ridgline to get back where you started. It is around 4 1/2 to 5 miles. There are maps available at the trailhead and the trails are well marked and easy to follow. When you are done you could eat at the Rustler's Roost which is very close by. I don't know if I would say it has the taste of Phoenix but the view of the city from the dining room is excellent.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:27 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
ha, we seem to be more interested in hiking than tasting Phoenix!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area