Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 12:47 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,455 times

Advertisements

I'm definitely a desert rat. I love the summers here but even I'll admit that the west side of your house with big windows and no shade is a huge mistake. Get those windows in some kind of shade.
In my house, the master bedroom is the only room on the west side of the house and if I'm not careful, that bedroom just sizzles in the afternoon. So much so that it's the only room with and extra A/C unit. The bedroom (including the closet and bath) is around 800 sf and the main A/C unit does fine with most of the house but too keep that bedroom cool, I'd have to keep the rest of the house at sub-freezing temps so I have a small window unit just for the bedroom.
Either get some shade and/or covered patio or get a small A/C unit to handle that side of the house.
You will one way or another. Might as well take care of it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 10:33 AM

568 posts, read 1,206,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Coolaroo drop down/roll-up shade screens work wonders for west exposures. You can find them at Lowe's or Home Depot.
I've been thinking of getting these for a couple of west side windows that I've got. Are they easy to install? I'm guessing it's just a matter of making sure they're level and then drilling into stucco? Hmmm...

Old 03-24-2013, 11:12 AM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xica_da_Silva View Post
I've been thinking of getting these for a couple of west side windows that I've got. Are they easy to install? I'm guessing it's just a matter of making sure they're level and then drilling into stucco? Hmmm...
They are super easy to install. They come with all the hardware and e-z instructions to hang. I use them on several windows every summer. They hold up very well.

Old 01-09-2017, 04:32 PM

4 posts, read 3,986 times
I will be moving from Michigan to Arizona this year. I have a "must have" list and "would like" list. From all that I'm reading, I assume I should put extended patio cover on the "must have" list no matter what direction the backyard faces. I do think the extended patio going the full length of the back of the house is most attractive too!

Old 01-09-2017, 10:43 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,048,329 times
If it's a new home, the windows will be low-e, energy efficient windows anyway. Ask the builder to order the lowest solar gain co-efficient (the window mfr. applies a micro-layer of reflective metal inside the exterior pane.) The argon filled seal keeps additional thermal heat out. This option is WAY cheaper than extending the patio to provide shade.

I used a well advertised company based in CA. Very pleased.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:08 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
If it's a new home, the windows will be low-e, energy efficient windows anyway. Ask the builder to order the lowest solar gain co-efficient (the window mfr. applies a micro-layer of reflective metal inside the exterior pane.) The argon filled seal keeps additional thermal heat out. This option is WAY cheaper than extending the patio to provide shade.

I used a well advertised company based in CA. Very pleased.
i doubt any of the factory builders will let you spec-out your windows to that level -that said, i did replacement windows last year & ordered the factory applied "bronze tint".. it's light enough that the windows don't really "feel" tinted, but strong enough to knock down the glare. I'm not sure why the factory tint isn't done more commonly on residential housing here - nearly all commercial windows are tinted & you really don't notice it. I don't think you could hire someone to apply tint as inexpensively as that factory tint & there's nothing to peel or scratch later.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:41 PM

^^^^ I guarantee all new homes built in the valley these days have low-e double pane windows as "standard equipment."
FYI- You don't apply a flimsy film on the windows- they're built with the low-e coating at the factory, then vacuum sealed and filled with argon gas.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:38 AM

As a follow up to my earlier recommendation for low-e windows, you might want to price triple pane low-e windows. They reject even more solar heat gain, but they're expensive and heavy.

Also, unfortunately, Arizona has no building code requirements for low-e windows (unlike many other states.) No shocker there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area