Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 10:01 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthinkso View Post
Women like tubs. Did you not know that?
The women I know (younger demographic) think taking a bath is gross. I have to concur. If we want a soak, we have a spa for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 10:12 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,227,678 times
The first thing we did when we purchased our current place is rip out the master tub and create a huge, walk-in, two-person shower. It has built-in benches and niches, multiple adjustable spray bars, massagers on slide bars which are adjustable or could be hand-held, and is surrounded by a curved glass block wall. We also added a couple of matching grab-bars, so we don't have to worry about it meeting any potential needs in the future. We added a heat lamp outside the shower on a timer too, which is nice when the a/c is blowing cold and you just get out. This renovation was the best thing we ever did. Every one of our friends/family oooh'd and ahhh'd over it when they got an initial grand tour of the house.

We actually "waste" more water than if we had a tub or standard shower, because we both take showers that are longer now.

The only thing we could have done differently to make it more spa-like would have been to heat the bathroom floor, but we felt it was overkill since we were adding the heat lamp. I also had concerns that should the heated floor need repair, the tiles would have to be ripped up first.

We do have a tub in another bathroom. If we didn't we would have kept the master tub, because we need one to bathe the dog in.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
The first thing we did when we purchased our current place is rip out the master tub and create a huge, walk-in, two-person shower. It has built-in benches and niches, multiple adjustable spray bars, massagers on slide bars which are adjustable or could be hand-held, and is surrounded by a curved glass block wall. We also added a couple of matching grab-bars, so we don't have to worry about it meeting any potential needs in the future. We added a heat lamp outside the shower on a timer too, which is nice when the a/c is blowing cold and you just get out. This renovation was the best thing we ever did. Every one of our friends/family oooh'd and ahhh'd over it when they got an initial grand tour of the house.

We actually "waste" more water than if we had a tub or standard shower, because we both take showers that are longer now.

The only thing we could have done differently to make it more spa-like would have been to heat the bathroom floor, but we felt it was overkill since we were adding the heat lamp. I also had concerns that should the heated floor need repair, the tiles would have to be ripped up first.

We do have a tub in another bathroom. If we didn't we would have kept the master tub, because we need one to bathe the dog in.
Wow, that sounds amazing!

Old 05-10-2013, 10:34 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,227,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Wow, that sounds amazing!
I forgot to mention we made sure the shower entrance was wide enough to accommodate a wheelchair, (in case someone accidentally breaks a leg or something), and it has a no-lip entrance to enable a roll-in. (It's large enough that splash-out isn't an issue.) We figured that would be great in our old age too, or for potential resale.

We were inspired by the commercial where the repair man (plumber?) takes a shower in his customer's master bath, then comes out wet and almost fully dressed and tells the couple everything works now. We figured if we were going to do something potentially negative to the house (remove a tub), we wanted to replace it with something awesome (the shower).

Old 05-11-2013, 10:14 AM

1,533 posts, read 1,592,557 times
Actually, more and more of the builders are offering this as an option. Huge walk in shower in lieu of the small shower/tub combo. And you will be shocked at how many people are paying for this option! I think there are less and less "soakers" out there and people are sick of the tiny showers. Plus, most homes still have a tub in the secondary bath, so you are covered for resale.

We are also getting bids to do the same thing. Only I am going to turn my current shower into a big linen cabinet and the tub area into a walk in shower. And nothing with glass! I am so sick of having to use the squeegee after a shower!

Old 05-11-2013, 10:16 AM

654 posts, read 1,496,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
I wonder if the majority of the 'gotta have the tub' posters are actually from Phoenix. As in, been here a really long time. They're a waste of water.

If I won the lottery and could remodel my master bathroom I would rip out the garden tub and put in a steam shower.
A steam shower? Those were popular in....1992.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthinkso View Post
A steam shower? Those were popular in....1992.
They never really lost their appeal. You must have not been to a gym lately. The steam rooms get quite a bit of use. I have several friends that have very nice homes that have steam showers. I can see them having even more appeal here in the dry desert.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:22 PM

800 posts, read 1,911,877 times
Many of my buyers say having no tub in the master is a deal-breaker. As mentioned before in this thread, many elderly buyers will prefer a walk-in shower. Most new homes have both. For the majority of buyers, the ideal master bath has a large walk-in shower, a soaking tub, a large walk-in closet, and a long vanity with double sinks. Of course, different strokes for different folks...

Old 05-11-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Chris Webb View Post
Many of my buyers say having no tub in the master is a deal-breaker. As mentioned before in this thread, many elderly buyers will prefer a walk-in shower. Most new homes have both. For the majority of buyers, the ideal master bath has a large walk-in shower, a soaking tub, a large walk-in closet, and a long vanity with double sinks. Of course, different strokes for different folks...
That's what I'm afraid of. Thanks for the insight.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:48 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,671,115 times
We are seniors and maybe once a month DW uses the tub BUT she uses the one in the guest bathroom because the "garden whirlpool" tub in the master bathroom is too difficult to get in and out of. So if you do decide to put in a tub, keep in mind the difficulty of someone older (or only 5' tall) trying to get in and out.

Definitely agree with double sinks, plenty of cabinets and walk in shower, oversized is especially nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area