Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2013, 02:28 PM

68 posts, read 196,028 times

Advertisements

What areas of Glendale are considered unsafe, if any. (A real estate agent told me it's difficult to find a house for $140-150 in Glendale, yet I saw some on W. Medlock, W. Augusta, and Tonopah - anyone familiar with those? My husband might be working at Waste Mgmt in the Glendale area. The market here in CT is awful and now our house will only sell for about $120 (used to be about $170) - so we can't afford much anymore - I'm wondering if we won't be able to afford a decent area in Glendale. Any info. appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 02:51 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HACESOL View Post
What areas of Glendale are considered unsafe, if any. (A real estate agent told me it's difficult to find a house for $140-150 in Glendale, yet I saw some on W. Medlock, W. Augusta, and Tonopah - anyone familiar with those? My husband might be working at Waste Mgmt in the Glendale area. The market here in CT is awful and now our house will only sell for about $120 (used to be about $170) - so we can't afford much anymore - I'm wondering if we won't be able to afford a decent area in Glendale. Any info. appreciated.
Cross streets would help pinpoint the locations you are asking about. Generally, the further north the better, but you need to keep your limitations on driving if you are going to be working in 85023. It might be better for him to have the longer commute.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:30 PM

582 posts, read 1,482,418 times
I would personally avoid buying a house when you get here. That amount of money you anticipate having is somewhat low for purchasing a house here. The 85023 zip code is not Glendale, but North Phoenix.

Glendale is kinda spotty. You really need to get here to see what will work for you. Rent for awhile. Ride around and look at various areas.

That said, you could probably find something that is workable in an area that is not too bad, but it's going to take a lot of riding around to find it, and personally for that price point, I would look to South Tolleson and parts of Laveen for a newer home.

I understand your being anxious, but not knowing an area, it is risky trying to buy a house on a limited budget. I could find a place for $150,000 in an area that I would consider "workable" but I was born and raised here and know the ropes. You don't, and don't want to make a decision you'd regret.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:56 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post
I would personally avoid buying a house when you get here. That amount of money you anticipate having is somewhat low for purchasing a house here. The 85023 zip code is not Glendale, but North Phoenix.

Glendale is kinda spotty. You really need to get here to see what will work for you. Rent for awhile. Ride around and look at various areas.

That said, you could probably find something that is workable in an area that is not too bad, but it's going to take a lot of riding around to find it, and personally for that price point, I would look to South Tolleson and parts of Laveen for a newer home.

I understand your being anxious, but not knowing an area, it is risky trying to buy a house on a limited budget. I could find a place for $150,000 in an area that I would consider "workable" but I was born and raised here and know the ropes. You don't, and don't want to make a decision you'd regret.
Based on other posts, the OP can't be in those areas, too far from work locations. The advice not to buy right now is good, though. To the OP-- you really need to spend some time here getting more familiar with the area before you tie yourself down to a house purchase.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:09 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,944,101 times
I agree with the others that Laveen and Tolleson are too far, there are great areas much closer to 85023. As for waiting to buy, I think it depends. With house prices going up right now, you could buy and sale in a year from now if you don't like the place, much the same as you'd rent for 12 months. If the market was stagnant or declining, then renting would definitely be the way to go.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:15 PM

582 posts, read 1,482,418 times
I wasn't suggesting that he buy in Tolleson or Laveen as I am aware of his limitations travelwise. I was merely saying that if one only has $150,000 to spend in the Phoenix metro in buying a house, the money would buy a better and newer structure there.

And that not knowing the areas, $150,000 would only buy him an older property in Glendale or where he will be working, and it might put him in a place he is not comfortable with.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:32 PM

800 posts, read 1,911,466 times
There are plenty of older homes in established, but decent areas of Glendale for under $150... but maybe not for long. I do agree with the other posters that say to live here first and rent for a while. You never know - you may prefer a longer commute than you think to be near new friends or the infrastructure you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area