Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 10:01 AM

2,280 posts, read 3,079,872 times

Advertisements

I moved here on July 3rd, 2011. I'd say that's right in the beginning of of the hottest part of the summer. We got that HUGE "haboob" two days later. Coming from Illinois and having experienced 100 degree days with 70+% humidity along with massive thunderstorms with hail, tornados, etc, this was no big deal to me. It still isn't. It's all a matter of perspective and those who've not known anything else will have a skewed one. "Rumors of the weather have been greatly exaggerated."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 11:01 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,988,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
I moved here on July 3rd, 2011. I'd say that's right in the beginning of of the hottest part of the summer. We got that HUGE "haboob" two days later. Coming from Illinois and having experienced 100 degree days with 70+% humidity along with massive thunderstorms with hail, tornados, etc, this was no big deal to me. It still isn't. It's all a matter of perspective and those who've not known anything else will have a skewed one. "Rumors of the weather have been greatly exaggerated."
Oh boy. You said the H-word.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:45 PM

77 posts, read 123,349 times
How long to haboobs actually last? I am guessing the best thing to do is to stay indoors but what happens to ventilation? I am a mild asthmatic. I saw the videos of the last haboob and just wondered

Old 06-10-2013, 07:56 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
With all due respect, the OP just got here.
^
This. Give it a bit more time for the unending, unrelenting summer.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:05 PM

52 posts, read 130,316 times
I almost don't even want to keep the forum updated at this point. Why does it matter? I will give my opinion and others will still argue that I need to wait 5 summers and see how I feel. It could go on and on. Yes, I posted a week into being here and I stated that myself at the beginning of my post. I also know this isn't monsoon season yet either. But give me some credit for enduring moving boxes/ect.. in a 112 degree day and not feeling like I was in an oven. If someone like myself from the east coast would have posted what I posted after moving here I would have found it beneficial. And that was all I was trying to do.

It is just funny to me that I have never thought to post about the horrible winters or the awful crime in Philly on the forum. The truth is because they too are all bearable and livable. I could let people know what to expect or where to avoid crime... but I would never taunt them with the just wait and see how bad it gets post.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:13 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth1313 View Post
I almost don't even want to keep the forum updated at this point. Why does it matter? I will give my opinion and others will still argue that I need to wait 5 summers and see how I feel. It could go on and on. Yes, I posted a week into being here and I stated that myself at the beginning of my post. I also know this isn't monsoon season yet either. But give me some credit for enduring moving boxes/ect.. in a 112 degree day and not feeling like I was in an oven. If someone like myself from the east coast would have posted what I posted after moving here I would have found it beneficial. And that was all I was trying to do.

It is just funny to me that I have never thought to post about the horrible winters or the awful crime in Philly on the forum. The truth is because they too are all bearable and livable. I could let people know what to expect or where to avoid crime... but I would never taunt them with the just wait and see how bad it gets post.
Your post and perspective are appreciated. As you've seen, there are extreme opinions on these forums, and plenty of unhappy people. You seem to have a sensible, realistic, and positive attitude. That will stand you in good stead no matter where you live. I always suspect the unhappy people on these forums were just as negative and unhappy in their former home states, which confirms the cliche "No matter where you go, there you are."

I don't love our summers, but once it hits 105, I don't find the higher temps any more unpleasant - for me, hot is hot. The brief monsoon season is uncomfortable, but NOTHING like humidity in other areas of the country, despite what the doomsayers will insist. Plus, the prospect of fabulous afternoon storms is always appealing to me. By the end of summer, everyone is just sick of the monotony of summer. But there's nothing like our weather the rest of the year - spectacular!

Last edited by Kimballette; 06-10-2013 at 11:25 PM..

Old 06-10-2013, 11:14 PM

357 posts, read 712,027 times
Quote:

Please keep us updated, its definitely helpful to newcomers and some of us locals like to hear when newcomers like our state! But yes, weather is almost as hotly debated on this forum as religion and politics somehow

Oh a couple more tips for your area, Zinc Bistro has great souffles if you like them and Ocean Club has pricey but huge martinis. It will get too hot to sit outside soon (unless in a pool!) so enjoy the nighttime weather with a drink for as long as you can.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,433 times
Quote:

Thanks for your post update! It's very effective as I am considering moving myself. Please keep up the update!

Old 06-11-2013, 12:19 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,988,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz451 View Post
But yes, weather is almost as hotly debated on this forum as religion and politics somehow
And scorpions. Don't forget the scorpions!

Old 06-11-2013, 06:06 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Quote:

Don't discount the numerous positive posts. You've got a few you don't like out of many kind responses but everyone will have their opinion, it's a public forum. Some will see your count of the weather after the first week as naive but they aren't arguing that you find it tolerable right now, try not to have hurt feelings.

You don't need to worry about disciplining others because you think they should behave like you would, everyone is different. Just reply to the ones you want to reply to, you are not obligated to reply to all posts.

It's nice that you have a positive attitude about our weather, I agree with you and plenty do. Just enjoy the post you want. If that's to difficult then you're correct, don't post. People are allowed their opinions on here, even if you don't share their perspective. A few think your naive, but so what!

Most have showered you with compliments, IMO I'd just enjoy those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area