Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 07:09 AM

68 posts, read 196,205 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to understand the geographics of the Phoenix area in terms of how it's described. For example, I have heard of Deer Valley, Moon Valley, etc. Are names like that separate towns outside of Phoenix OR are they just named sections of Phoenix? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 07:11 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HACESOL View Post
I'm trying to understand the geographics of the Phoenix area in terms of how it's described. For example, I have heard of Deer Valley, Moon Valley, etc. Are names like that separate towns outside of Phoenix OR are they just named sections of Phoenix? Thanks!

They are just names for areas of Phoenix. You can tell by looking at a map of the Phoenix metro area which of the surrounding areas are separate cities and what is actually within the Phoenix city limits.

While you are in Tucson, you need to come up here and look around just to get a feel for the area that will mean far more to you than anything you can learn here.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:20 AM

7,195 posts, read 9,263,398 times
OP, Observer53 is correct.

Somewhere in the How do you remember Phoenix thread there was a link that led to an older map of the valley area. If I read that right, Deer Valley and Moon Valley were small valleys north of Phoenix. Just a bit of trivia.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:41 AM

890 posts, read 2,282,786 times
http://emvis.net/~sean/ssp/126_neighborhoods_of_phoenix.png

This is the best breakdown of the different Phoenix "neighborhoods" that I have found. It's a bit hard to understand because there are no streets or freeways for reference but if you look at it side by side with the second image it helps with the context. Keep in mind a lot of those yellow areas at the top are actually outside Phoenix boundaries (New River, Cave Creek, etc)

http://freegeographytools.com/wp-con...11/phoenix.png

Old 06-14-2013, 02:09 PM

603 posts, read 947,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fennec2009 View Post

This is the best breakdown of the different Phoenix "neighborhoods" that I have found. It's a bit hard to understand because there are no streets or freeways for reference but if you look at it side by side with the second image it helps with the context. Keep in mind a lot of those yellow areas at the top are actually outside Phoenix boundaries (New River, Cave Creek, etc)

I've noticed that there are only a few neighborhoods that people recognize by name. Arcadia, Moon Valley, Coronado, Deer Valley, etc.

It's kind of aggravating that there is a named "neighborhood" of Paradise Valley when no one can really use that neighborhood name as a description because of the town of Paradise Valley. Everyone I know ends up calling that neighborhood "PV Mall".

Old 06-14-2013, 02:23 PM

51 posts, read 77,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fennec2009 View Post

Thanks for the maps. They're really helpful as I start the search for a winter rental. I like the area I was in this year but so far I'm not finding many places available there.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:38 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,751,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen431 View Post
It's kind of aggravating that there is a named "neighborhood" of Paradise Valley when no one can really use that neighborhood name as a description because of the town of Paradise Valley. Everyone I know ends up calling that neighborhood "PV Mall".
That area is part of what the City of Phoenix refers to as Paradise Valley Village. The name was actually used for that area long before the Town of PV was incorporated. PV High School at Bell and 40th Street predates PV Town by many years.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:07 PM

517 posts, read 1,705,916 times
While we on the subject, which area does the "Phoenix metro" actually cover? I assume Chandler is officially in Maricopa not Phoenix right? So does that mean Chandler is not in the Phoenix metro?

Pardon my total ignorance

Old 06-14-2013, 11:14 PM

606 posts, read 1,607,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmaan View Post
While we on the subject, which area does the "Phoenix metro" actually cover? I assume Chandler is officially in Maricopa not Phoenix right? So does that mean Chandler is not in the Phoenix metro?

Chandler is in the metro phx area.

According to wikipedia these are the metro phx cities:

2,000,000 or more inhabitants

Phoenix

100,000 or more inhabitants

Chandler
Gilbert
Glendale
Mesa
Peoria
Scottsdale
Surprise
Tempe

10,000 or more inhabitants

Apache Junction
Avondale
Buckeye
Casa Grande
El Mirage
Eloy
Florence
Fountain Hills
Goodyear
Maricopa
Paradise Valley
Queen Creek

Fewer than 10,000 inhabitants

Carefree
Cave Creek
Coolidge
Gila Bend
Guadalupe
Kearny
Litchfield Park
Mammoth
Superior
Tolleson
Wickenburg
Youngtown

Unincorporated communities
Over 10,000 inhabitants

New River
Anthem
Gold Canyon
Sun City
Sun City West
Sun Lakes
San Tan
San Tan Valley

Under 10,000 inhabitants

Aguila
Ak-Chin Village
Arizona City
Arlington
Bapchule
Chuichu
Circle City
Eleven Mile Corner
Komatke
La Palma
Liberty
Morristown
Olberg
Palo Verde
Queen Valley
Rio Verde
Sacaton
Stanfield
Tonopah
Tortilla Flat
Valley Farms
Waddell
Wintersburg
Wittmann

Old 06-14-2013, 11:43 PM

62 posts, read 172,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmaan View Post

As Chandler is in Maricopa County not Phoenix County? There is no Phoenix County, both are Maricopa County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area