Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2013, 11:18 PM

2 posts, read 1,990 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a good charter or elementary school for my daughter. She will be starting the first grade in one month and I have no idea where to enroll her. We live in Scottsdale but I work in Phoenix. I would be open to any good suggestion in Scottsdale/Paradise Valley/Phoenix. Would love to find a charter that offers music, art and fieldtrips. Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 11:47 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,980,169 times
Arizona School for the Arts.....

Old 07-18-2013, 06:59 PM

2 posts, read 1,990 times
thanks buck. and first and final bump

Old 07-19-2013, 06:16 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,341,146 times
It sounds like you are going to be doing a lot of driving just to avoid public school.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:35 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,701,411 times
Can I throw my two cents out there? Is there any real point to school choice before jr high?

Old 07-20-2013, 11:45 AM

228 posts, read 344,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
Can I throw my two cents out there? Is there any real point to school choice before jr high?
I honestly don't think so, no - assuming you live in a good neighborhood, then the school/ peer group/ other parents' values is also likely to be good.

My 13 yr old son has gone to 3 schools in the UK, 2 schools in Switzerland and 2 schools here - all public, all in nice areas, all well-rated schools, and the overriding fact that affects whether he has a good experience or not is the individual teacher. Luckily his were always terrific, but my daughter's 1st grade teacher in Switzerland was newly qualified and bumped from part to full time work when her job sharing partner went on long term sick. That wasn't a great year, as the teacher was openly stressed and not coping. But you simply can't plan/ research/ make choices for situations like that.

Son is about to enter 8th grade, and despite him mostly being educated in other countries, 4 years of it in French, he finished 7th grade with straight As and tested into all honors classes for next year. So dropping him into many randomly chosen local schools through his entire elementary hasn't made a jot of difference.

There's a LOT to be said for your kid having their friends in the neighborhood, and the socializing/ experience of them all trotting out the door and walking/ biking/ bussing to school together.

Live somewhere nice and toss them into the local school with their friends, that's my view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: