Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 11:23 PM

92 posts, read 183,461 times

Advertisements

My son, who is 11, started 6th grade today. We live in Anthem. There are no lockers in the school, and the kids have to carry their backpacks, that weigh a lot, all over school, because there is not even storage in the desks to leave anything in the classroom.

Why are there no lockers at the school?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 11:42 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,723,555 times
What did the teacher/administrator/district people say?

Old 08-13-2013, 12:44 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,763,445 times
Not sure now but 6th grade was still elementary school, and did't get lockers until Jr High 7th grade. If 6th graders now have lockers they were probably taken away so kids can't hide drug, guns, rocket launchers, nukes.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:08 AM

267 posts, read 692,709 times
Times have changed. In many schools, lockers have probably been gone for about a generation. And that's how long many kids have been suffering back problems after combining cheap daypacks, heavy loads, poor posture, and poor weight distribution or just not wearing packs properly.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:29 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,741,062 times
When our boys were in middle school (mid 90s, Sunrise Middle School, PVUSD) they discontinued lockers. The story was that the lockers, which were concentrated in a small area, posed a discipline problem and required security guards. To mitigate the impact of the change they bought more books, so that the kids could keep a copy at home and then use one that stayed in the classroom, thus avoiding a need to cart the books back and forth. I never liked the idea, seems that in earlier days the lockers would line the corridors outside the classrooms and that the teachers would police the area adjacent to the classrooms. No need for "security". I guess the union contract removed this responsibility. I usually support unions but that change seemed wrong.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:30 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,219,303 times
My daughter didn't have lockers last year in a brand new elementary school and she doesn't have them this year in a new high school. She carries her books everywhere, I think lockers are going away.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:55 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,036 times
Not only lockers but some jr highs don't even allow the students to wear backpacks. When I was in Jr High from 03-05 backpacks were strictly forbidden out of fear of students bringing drugs, weapons, etc. Everyone carried one of those zipper binder things around campus. Worst two years of my life it was so frustrating not having a backpack and having to carry around a heavy binder all day.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:56 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
Times have changed. In many schools, lockers have probably been gone for about a generation. And that's how long many kids have been suffering back problems after combining cheap daypacks, heavy loads, poor posture, and poor weight distribution or just not wearing packs properly.

Problem Solved

Old 08-13-2013, 10:17 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzaman01 View Post
My son, who is 11, started 6th grade today. We live in Anthem. There are no lockers in the school, and the kids have to carry their backpacks, that weigh a lot, all over school, because there is not even storage in the desks to leave anything in the classroom.

Why are there no lockers at the school?

Thanks
I would suggest sking the school. I've heard about fewer schools in various areas having lockers due to theft and vandalism issues. The school in question would be the best source, though.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:25 PM

228 posts, read 343,747 times
My son in a Mesa junior high has a locker AND the extra copies of books to bring home, so sounds like he has the best of both worlds! He's not allowed to carry his backpack to class, so it lives in the locker and he just takes what he needs for the next couple of classes, depending on their location respective to the lockers.

As besuits this climate, the locker back is actually outside under a shade roof, so they don't even need to clog up a corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: