Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 08:10 PM

61 posts, read 190,303 times

Advertisements

OP here. I used to use Cy-Kick but this past season switched to Onslaught FastCap Spider and Scorpion Insecticide. It might be a coincidence, we saw dramatically less scorpions in our yard and house. The FastCap is more expensive per oz but used at half the concentration, so price wise its about the same.

Would like to hear if other people have similar experience with FastCap...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,221 times
Default Torch Scorpions

We just moved into our new home last month just to find out there is scorpions in our area.. I wouldn't of purchased this home if i would have know prior. I hv 2 little ones crawling around so i'm terrified of them getting stung. I looked into home sealing and that is super expensive. We do the black light hunting and have found 1-3 a night when we first moved in. I found one inside last week and freaked out so i immediately had someone come out to spray. We had not scorpion hunted for almost 2 weeks and after the spray they went crazy and we found 9 after they sprayed. I will definitely try the Cy-kick CS and the granules some of you suggested.

We bought a weed torch and we burn the scorpions when we go outside and scorpion hunt (outside only on course). It helps us get in the cracks or in the rocks if they try to get away. It kills them within seconds. We leave the burnt scorpions there so that once their buddies trace their pheromones they will find their torched lil buddy and hopefully run away..lol

Old 06-25-2017, 07:34 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,158,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Why would anyone want to do this? Why not get a hobby? Spraying around the perimeter of your house just every couple months does the trick. Killing scorpions outside, especially if they have babies on their backs, is not my idea of fun. Afterall, this used to be their land. Let them be. Just keep them out of your house by spraying.
I'll gladly kill any I see outside and that especially means mothers with babies on its back, the more I can kill outside, the less that will be entering my home. These things are both disgusting and dangerous.

I am a firm believer in Black light hunting, it does not get all of them but it sure does help control the population. I do it nightly and will continue to do so.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:13 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times
when you guys are spraying all these pesticides inside and outside of your house, arent you concerned about the effect on your dogs?
I guess it depends on how many of these guys you are seeing around your house..

Old 06-26-2017, 08:23 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
when you guys are spraying all these pesticides inside and outside of your house, arent you concerned about the effect on your dogs?
I guess it depends on how many of these guys you are seeing around your house..
CY Kick CS is allegedly safe once dry. When black-lighting, I kill them with brake cleaner which would probably harm my dogs if they ate them, but they don't seem at all interested in the dead ones.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:28 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times
I really like the idea of brake cleaner, since I know once it dries, its not as toxic to dogs as some pesticides might be, plus its alot less expensive..I guess I'll have to wait and see how many scorps are around the house we just bought, once we move in August 1st..Hopefully, a couple of preventative treatments, and making sure the entire perimeter of the house is sealed will do the trick

Old 06-26-2017, 11:10 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
I am a firm believer in Black light hunting, it does not get all of them but it sure does help control the population. I do it nightly and will continue to do so.

I agree. We black light the yard most nights in the summer. It's effective at keeping the scorpions out of the house and the patio area. How do I know? When we are doing nightly hunts virtually all of the scorpions we kill are on and along the perimeter wall. But if we leave on vacation for a week or to we can see the "lost ground" with even one or two typically found in the house on our return.

I have not noticed any impact from applying DE. A fellow who was on one of the local news shows this spring said the same, and he also said the black lighting is the most effective control. He confirmed my experiences of the past five years.

Last edited by hikernut; 06-26-2017 at 12:29 PM..

Old 07-07-2017, 10:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,980 times
Hunting them down with a black light is fun. I realize I'm not making a huge impact on the population so I don't spend a lot of time doing it. I used duct tape to secure a small black light to one of those "grabbers" that pick up out of reach items. After I get ahold of one I smash it into the ground then step on it.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:09 AM

107 posts, read 201,133 times
Seems that I can no longer edit my post above, and Photobucket is trying to push everyone into a paid account, so I'm reposting my blacklight photo here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbk2l View Post
I took this shot using my cell phone, holding the yellow glasses in front of the camera lens, with the SureFire blacklight.
Attached Thumbnails
Tips and Techniques for Black Light Hunting of Scorpions-scorpion.jpg  

Old 07-09-2017, 08:25 AM

4,068 posts, read 5,139,473 times
When we moved into our previous house, we found out pretty quickly that the yard was infested. Found 9-10 bark scorpions per night on the block walls...which are scorpion condos/highways. Black light and a shoe to squish them...after a while that got boring so I moved to a blowtorch. Two ran into one of the columns so I doused it with lighter fluid and torched it..5 tried to escape. Started sealing all the cracks in the block wall, sealed any intrusions into the house, covered all the plumbing vents on the roof with mesh and a zip tie. Made sure to clean out any brush/debris from the side yard. After about 3 years of battling them and getting sprayed regularly...they seemed to have disappeared.

Then we moved into our house we are in now...owner said he never had a scorpion problem in the 16 years of living here. Within a week we found colonies under the large rocks in the front yard...after finding one that squeezed in under the front door. Tiki Torch fuel into the crevices under the rocks and that seems to have taken care of them...although we still check every once in a while. They love the older palm trees in the area. Our neighbors redid their landscaping and were finding the little buggers for weeks afterward, even after sealing their house (guessing they made it inside before the sealing so now they are stuck).

We still find them every once in a while...mostly already dead...but not like the old house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area