Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 08:36 PM

226 posts, read 999,744 times

Advertisements

Totally agree. Phoenix of today is not the phoenix I grew up in..... I have two kids. One is 20 and the other is 16. Both say they don't have anything to do in Phoenix. I think you live somewhere for so long, you just get bored. Moving brings adventure, where ever moving too is.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2006, 08:36 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'm not questioning your comment. But, I am curious why you think it is better raising children in Boise than in Phoenix (assuming a "nice" part). My reason for asking is not to be critical. I am struggling about whether to leave PHX. I kind of think it would be better to grow up somewhere else, maybe in a small town like I did. But then I wonder if that is really the case. I wonder what kids do when there is nothing to do in a small town. I wonder if community values like religiousness have any positive bearing on kids outcomes or whether the rigid judgmentalism leads to lifelong bias or worse. Is it location is it parenting that makes good adults? So what things about Boise (or anywhere for that matter) do you think make it a good place to raise a family?
I think it really depends on how you raise your children and the education system they are exposed to. Normally larger cities provide more opportunities for learning and expanding one’s horizons. Yet, there can also be disadvantages. But, if you raise your children with a passion for learning and teach them that school is not a chore, but instead a lifelong process of improvement, they will have the basis for success. A strong educational system will expand their options going forward and will expose them to peers that have the same love of learning. Yet, without that core love of learning instilled from home, no amount of time or treasure can make a child succeed.

Old 10-23-2006, 11:20 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,527 times
Quote:
I'm not questioning your comment. But, I am curious why you think it is better raising children in Boise than in Phoenix (assuming a "nice" part). My reason for asking is not to be critical. I am struggling about whether to leave PHX. I kind of think it would be better to grow up somewhere else, maybe in a small town like I did. But then I wonder if that is really the case. I wonder what kids do when there is nothing to do in a small town. I wonder if community values like religiousness have any positive bearing on kids outcomes or whether the rigid judgmentalism leads to lifelong bias or worse. Is it location is it parenting that makes good adults? So what things about Boise (or anywhere for that matter) do you think make it a good place to raise a family?

I didn't know you were that serious about moving. It's hard isn't it?

Old 10-23-2006, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmone84 View Post
Right on, NC is a beautiful state. It seems to be a popular spot for people leaving AZ as well (I've read of quite a few people heading out there). My mother was thinking about moving there herself because of the weather but think she decided against it because she wants to be close to family.

I'm glad you are heading back too, if that's what makes you happy that's great. When I move to NC I am planning a trip back to NY to visit some friends. I'm really excited.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:14 AM

10 posts, read 26,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
I am not the “rural life” kind of person, but I can tell you there are some beautiful areas in south central PA. I used to drive up that way for skiing sometimes. There are some really neat little, historic towns that still have the main street charm. Western Maryland is also great. Good luck!
Thanks for the info. We are looking at the Carlisle area. Any input? Hubby has to be with-in 50 miles of there. Looking at maybe Lewistown.
Of course have to leave family here, with one being my 18 yr old son. But are looking at it as a new adventure and trying to be positive.
Cheerioben

Old 10-24-2006, 05:26 AM

434 posts, read 3,178,471 times
Ponderosa - We are moving to Boise because it is big enough to have all the amenities that we want, yet small enough that it still has the feel of a small town. The Boise metro area is around 600,000 people so there is more than enough stuff to do there. One of the first things we noticed once we got up there is how clean the city is. No trash in the streets and no grafitti, even in what could laughingly be called Boise's "inner city". No homeless guys hustling people on the freeway offramps and no crowds of illegals hanging out in the parking lot of Home Depot. Traffic in Boise is bad, but not as bad as anything that you run into in Phoenix.

Phoenix is a different city than when my wife grew up here and it has changed in the ten years since we moved back to Arizona, and not in a good way.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:40 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
I didn't know you were that serious about moving. It's hard isn't it?
I was all set to go. Bought some lake property in Tahlequah OK, had it cleared, driveways put in and a slab poured for a garage. We had plans to go in Oct and build the garage and have septic and utilities done then build the house next year. Then I stared to wonder if this was really a good move or not. I think it is easy to get annoyed at what you are used to. It's easy to "hate" Phoenix and it certainly is not as nice a place to be as it once was. But Oklahoma, ID, SD, OR, MO, WI/MI (family) or other places I have considered all leave a lot to be desired too. It's just not as easy as some of the posters would have you think. I would certainly leave behind the bad I despise here, but most of the good I have come to consider part of life would be gone too. Things like sunshine all the time (old until it's gone), spectacular scenery, the newness, cleanliness of this place, new home touring, the diversity of faces and opinions and religions, the anonymity of city life - you can be as friendly as you want to be, swimming from March to November, riding ATVs on millions of acres of forest roads, backyard fires in the chiminea, never having to buy DEET. So like you say, it's hard.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I was all set to go. Bought some lake property in Tahlequah OK, had it cleared, driveways put in and a slab poured for a garage. We had plans to go in Oct and build the garage and have septic and utilities done then build the house next year. Then I stared to wonder if this was really a good move or not. I think it is easy to get annoyed at what you are used to. It's easy to "hate" Phoenix and it certainly is not as nice a place to be as it once was. But Oklahoma, ID, SD, OR, MO, WI/MI (family) or other places I have considered all leave a lot to be desired too. It's just not as easy as some of the posters would have you think. I would certainly leave behind the bad I despise here, but most of the good I have come to consider part of life would be gone too. Things like sunshine all the time (old until it's gone), spectacular scenery, the newness, cleanliness of this place, new home touring, the diversity of faces and opinions and religions, the anonymity of city life - you can be as friendly as you want to be, swimming from March to November, riding ATVs on millions of acres of forest roads, backyard fires in the chiminea, never having to buy DEET. So like you say, it's hard.

I absolutely agree. It sounds like you have a nice place over there in Estrella. I start feeling sad about moving when I sit in my backyard. It's like paradise back there. I have a pool jacuzzi, lots of plants and shade trees and even a koi fish pond. It's going to be hard to duplicate.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the very best

Old 10-24-2006, 10:07 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,725,313 times
I just saw this thread and for now I'm moving to Florida, which is where I'm originally from. I've been in Phoenix, actually Chandler for 2+ years and I love it out here. It's not that bad of a place. Lacking in a little culture, but it has its charm. For the most part, the people are nice. The living is easy and I had fun hanging with the numerous friends I've made over the last year. I'm not really sad about leaving, I'm just nervous about the job situation working out the way that I hope it will.

Phoenix has been good to me and I've grown and changed for the better since I've moved out here and for that I'll always be appreciative.

Thanks PHX!

Old 10-29-2006, 12:48 AM

368 posts, read 1,330,086 times
I would move to Albq.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area