Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 06:00 PM

436 posts, read 1,522,782 times

Advertisements

I did a google search but I'm only finding information for California, nothing for Arizona.

Would I be able to run a family day care out of a rental home? I know a lot of areas have HOA's and some don't allow businesses but some have day care as an exception. I'm sure there are landlords who wouldn't rent to me if they knew I wanted to run a day care, but I want to know if they can legally stop me or kick me out.

Anyone know or know where I can find out? Obviously I would read a lease carefully before signing it but I just want to know before I bother.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:24 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamom1 View Post
I did a google search but I'm only finding information for California, nothing for Arizona.

Would I be able to run a family day care out of a rental home? I know a lot of areas have HOA's and some don't allow businesses but some have day care as an exception. I'm sure there are landlords who wouldn't rent to me if they knew I wanted to run a day care, but I want to know if they can legally stop me or kick me out.

Anyone know or know where I can find out? Obviously I would read a lease carefully before signing it but I just want to know before I bother.

lol.. this ends well!

Old 10-25-2013, 06:37 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
Quote:

You could always spend the money and get a lawyer instead of asking on an anonymous internet forum. Or buy your own home so you don't need to conceal your intentions from an unsuspecting landlord...

ETA: So you currently live in NC and are contemplating a cross country move along with a new business that will be undercover until the ink's dry on the lease? Wow...

Old 10-25-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
You could always spend the money and get a lawyer instead of asking on an anonymous internet forum. Or buy your own home so you don't need to conceal your intentions from an unsuspecting landlord...

ETA: So you currently live in NC and are contemplating a cross country move along with a new business that will be undercover until the ink's dry on the lease? Wow...
Jeeze...I just asked a simple question. If you don't know the answer then why bother to respond??

Old 10-25-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Jeeze...I just asked a simple question. If you don't know the answer then why bother to respond??
Because it's a public forum? I had two suggestions for you, but I think your question is more suited for a lawyer.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Because it's a public forum?
Ok, but again, if you don't know the answer why bother?? I don't go to the automotive forum and respond to a post I know nothing about.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this. I know there are a lot of rental homes in the phoenix area so I figured someone might be either a landlord or tenant who has experienced this before. I'm obviously not going to enter a lease contract based on some "information" I got from an internet forum.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Ok, but again, if you don't know the answer why bother?? I don't go to the automotive forum and respond to a post I know nothing about.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this. I know there are a lot of rental homes in the phoenix area so I figured someone might be either a landlord or tenant who has experienced this before. I'm obviously not going to enter a lease contract based on some "information" I got from an internet forum.
Yes. I believe your first response was from a Phoenix landlord.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:42 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:

The reason you're finding info on California is because they passed a law specifically allowing tenants to run day cares over a landlords objections. I'm not aware of any such protection in Az. I am a landlord & my lease specifies very clearly that home businesses aren't allowed in my rentals. I have no experience with a tenant trying to do what you're hoping to do, but I can tell you that as a landlord, I'd be turning your file over to my attorney & seeking an immediate eviction.. If, for some reason I couldn't bounce you out for opening a daycare, I'd be looking for any possible other excuse to force you out.. at the least, your lease would never be renewed & I'd be dropping a dime (or several) to Azdhs to make sure you were complying with the law..

Old 10-25-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
The reason you're finding info on California is because they passed a law specifically allowing tenants to run day cares over a landlords objections. I'm not aware of any such protection in Az. I am a landlord & my lease specifies very clearly that home businesses aren't allowed in my rentals. I have no experience with a tenant trying to do what you're hoping to do, but I can tell you that as a landlord, I'd be turning your file over to my attorney & seeking an immediate eviction.. If, for some reason I couldn't bounce you out for opening a daycare, I'd be looking for any possible other excuse to force you out.. at the least, your lease would never be renewed & I'd be dropping a dime (or several) to Azdhs to make sure you were complying with the law..
What I'm "hoping to do" is get information. I'm not planning on being deceptive, but Calfornia has the law where it is that the landlords cannot stop it or evict because of it. I simply wanted to know if Arizona had a similar law. Maybe I worded my post wrong but I'm not sure why I am being attacked for asking a simple question.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:53 PM

277 posts, read 429,529 times
Anything that you want besides living there as a residence needs to be approved in your lease.
You can get a copy ONLINE of the Arizona Landlord Tenants Act. Check the ADRE or google for it.

The landowner would be concerned about liability, if someone is hurt, they would sue the owner.

If you owned a property you would want to know what is going on in your house!

It is not impossible to find a commercial rental that you could rent for this for less than renting a house.

Check with realtor in whatever area you want to move to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area