Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 08:47 PM

133 posts, read 148,665 times

Advertisements

Whoops, turns out it's called "Diatomaceous" earth. Close enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 07:11 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BjornT View Post
No kidding! Are there no comparably effective sprays marketed as scorpion killers?

Also, I'm with DetroitN8V - it's black light time. I take it their eyes glow?
CyKick CS pesticide works well at killing Scorps as well as other unwanted critters. Buy it on Amazon, follow the directions and you should see protection for months at a time as it's micro encapsulated/long lasting.
I've been using it for years and the very few scorps I've seen are belly up dying/dead.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:07 AM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,109,979 times
Jim is right, Cykick CS is the stuff I use. I use some granules and water those down, also use Cycick.You can do the black light thing and get rid of some. I actually think that is more for seeing what you have out there, you will miss a whole bunch doing that.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:38 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,598,532 times
Before you rent or buy a house always take a little walkie with a black light around the property and neighborhood at night. You'll know pretty quickly if there is a problem and what I mean by problem is a lot of them.

Otherwise you might only see one or two every once in a while. But if you see them hanging out in trees and on fences at night you'll know that you'll see two or three a week.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:14 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,056,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmizzl View Post
Hi, I'm am relocating to Chandler from Indiana in a couple months for work. I'm really impressed with what I've seen in Gilbert. I'm looking for a house to rent and what I'm seeing several of the ones I like have Palm trees in the yard and or block fences. When I visited Chandler a few months back I was told Scorpions live in palm trees and feed on crickets, etc. Another person said they also live in the block fences. Is this hype or are these homes I'm looking to rent going to be more prone to these critters?
Most homes in Gilbert and Chandler will have block fences, and most likely you see palm trees, too. There are different pockets of the valley that are more prone to scorpions; outlying desert areas, former citrus groves, near mountains, etc. However, they can be anywhere. One neighborhood may have them, and the next won't at all. You'll just need to check (black light is best) and/or ask the owner if the area is prone to them. Good luck!

Old 01-28-2016, 07:55 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,047,257 times
Unfortunately, I've become at scorpion control expert. During the hotter months, roughly April to October, we black light the outside a few nights per week. Each night we kill anywhere from about 5 to 20 scorpions. The number depends mostly on how hot it is. The first year we owned the house was much worse, as the prior owners apparently did nothing on this front. I wish I had kept a log, as the total number over the four summers we've lived here is certainly several thousand.

Now, don't get too freaked out. Our neighborhood was previously a pecan grove and there are still many mature pecan trees standing, and we also get flood irrigation. If you stay away from farms, orchards, and natural desert areas it's very unlikely you'll experience anything close to this.

One note on black lighting. Scorpions are inactive during the colder months. I could go out every night in January and probably not see a single scorpion. So this sort of nocturnal exam is only effective when it warms up. You'll see by far the most scorpions during the months when the nights are really hot... July, August, September. If you must buy or rent a place during the winter your best course of action is to speak with neighbors.

Most insect sprays will kill them if it's sprayed directly on the scorpion. Terro markets a spray specifically for scorpions that you can find in any hardware store. There is also a Terro spray for wasps that is the same formula, but the can is different. The can with the picture of a scorpion on it works better because the liquid is dispensed through a straw. This spray is very effective. You do not need to drown the critter with this stuff. A one second squirt is plenty. For most people this will not be a big deal since one can will probably last years. We go through many cans every summer.

Last edited by hikernut; 01-28-2016 at 09:03 AM..

Old 01-28-2016, 04:39 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Unfortunately, I've become at scorpion control expert. During the hotter months, roughly April to October, we black light the outside a few nights per week. Each night we kill anywhere from about 5 to 20 scorpions. The number depends mostly on how hot it is. The first year we owned the house was much worse, as the prior owners apparently did nothing on this front. I wish I had kept a log, as the total number over the four summers we've lived here is certainly several thousand.

Now, don't get too freaked out. Our neighborhood was previously a pecan grove and there are still many mature pecan trees standing, and we also get flood irrigation. If you stay away from farms, orchards, and natural desert areas it's very unlikely you'll experience anything close to this.

One note on black lighting. Scorpions are inactive during the colder months. I could go out every night in January and probably not see a single scorpion. So this sort of nocturnal exam is only effective when it warms up. You'll see by far the most scorpions during the months when the nights are really hot... July, August, September. If you must buy or rent a place during the winter your best course of action is to speak with neighbors.

Most insect sprays will kill them if it's sprayed directly on the scorpion. Terro markets a spray specifically for scorpions that you can find in any hardware store. There is also a Terro spray for wasps that is the same formula, but the can is different. The can with the picture of a scorpion on it works better because the liquid is dispensed through a straw. This spray is very effective. You do not need to drown the critter with this stuff. A one second squirt is plenty. For most people this will not be a big deal since one can will probably last years. We go through many cans every summer.
Have you tried CyKick CS yet? I'm telling you, it works well for many months! It's pet safe after it dries and would probably save you some $$$ over those cans of spray you're currently buying.

As an aside, any spare Pecan wood you'd like to part with? Trimmings and such maybe? I've got a rather large pizza oven in my yard to feed as well as my love of BBQ!

Old 01-28-2016, 04:59 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Have you tried CyKick CS yet? I'm telling you, it works well for many months! It's pet safe after it dries and would probably save you some $$$ over those cans of spray you're currently buying.
I've used it and it's amazing. I treated last year mid summer and haven't had a scorpion sighting on my property since. Works great on other bugs as well because I've zero in my house since the application. I still have left over concentration so I'll probably apply again in the spring and I'll be good to go.

This is an amazing site where I've purchased everything...

Do It Yourself Pest Control Products Online | Fast & Free Shipping

Old 01-28-2016, 06:43 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,628,760 times
Can you use Raid bug spray on scorpions or need something more potent?

Old 01-28-2016, 07:38 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,047,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

As an aside, any spare Pecan wood you'd like to part with? Trimmings and such maybe? I've got a rather large pizza oven in my yard to feed as well as my love of BBQ!
Hi,

I've tried CyKick. Everything helps, but we have so many in our neighborhood that it's impossible to get rid of them. We have a monthly pest service too. And I soak in DeltaGard granules a few times during the summer.

The one thing I haven't tried is DE, which I think I'll give a try this year.

We've got it to the point that we have very few in the house or on the patio. I even go barefoot on the patio at times.

We have a fire pit, so all of the dead branches get used... Sorry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area