Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 02:49 PM

277 posts, read 786,586 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'll be in Phoenix for 6 days at the end of February, coming from Toronto, Canada.

I know nothing about the city, and I was wondering if anyone can fill me on things to do that are off the beaten path. I can easily look up famous places online, but I'm more curious about interesting bars, restaurants, music venues, and unique places - nature included - outside of the city.

Many thanks!

AJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 12:19 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,234,466 times
What kind of food are you into? Type of bar? Type of music?

A lot of good natural places in and around the immediate part of the city.

I would definitely check out Sedona & Jerome as a day trip.

Plenty of good hiking in the city if you are into such things.

What time of year are you planning on being out here?

Old 01-12-2014, 02:02 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,443,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post

What time of year are you planning on being out here?
The OP says end of February.

a_jordania,

Definitely go see the Musical Instrument Museum. That can fill a day between the exhibits and the concerts they have. You can check out the concert schedule on their website. www.mim.org

Old 01-12-2014, 08:29 AM

Whoops - missed that

I definitely second the MIM.

Heard Museum is another nice one that is more unique.

I would also highly recommend going through the Desert Botanical Gardens as the Dale Chihuly glass exhibit will still be installed.

If you are into such things or if you are just intersted the Arabian Horse Show in Scottsdale is a really big event and runs from the 13th to 23rd

Old 01-12-2014, 01:06 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,443,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Whoops - missed that

I definitely second the MIM.

Heard Museum is another nice one that is more unique.

I would also highly recommend going through the Desert Botanical Gardens as the Dale Chihuly glass exhibit will still be installed.

If you are into such things or if you are just intersted the Arabian Horse Show in Scottsdale is a really big event and runs from the 13th to 23rd

The horse show is a great idea... it's a great horse show, but also a huge shopping expo, fun to walk through. And, all kinds of food... like a state fair, but more upscale than hot dogs and deep fried snicker bars.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:17 PM

800 posts, read 1,912,433 times
There are tons of great desert hiking/biking trails within the city - no matter where you're staying, you'll likely be within a short walk or drive of a desert preserve.

Desert Botanical Gardens have been mentioned - also greatly interesting is the Boyce Thompson Arboretum east of the Valley.

A must for tourists is a trip to the eclectic Cave Creek / Carefree area. Have a beer with the locals and bikers on an authentic Cave Creek saloon patio, or hob-nob with the wealthy in the galleries in Carefree. Have a Mexican dinner on the patio watching the ducks in the pond at El Encanto in Cave Creek.

One of Phoenix's most iconic restaurants is Aunt Chilada's - okay Mexican food, but the atmosphere is fun and historical. Go for Happy Hour or Friday night and enjoy a live band or fun on the patio.

For something completely different, spend a day at the Arizona Renaissance Festival east of Apache Junction. It really is fun for all types and ages of people.

No matter what you're doing, be sure to wear lots of sunscreen and drink lots of water!

Old 01-13-2014, 04:18 PM

277 posts, read 786,586 times
Thanks for the suggestions. I will be in Arizona for cocktail week, but I'll definitely want to leave and explore as much as I can.

I think all previous ideas will be enough for the six days.

Thanks again!

AJ

Old 01-13-2014, 04:19 PM

I would also keep an eye open to scan Groupon & Living Social as they have deals for some of this stuff (I think I just saw groupon have a pair of admission tickets to the horse show for $11) as well as some other activities/restaurants in the city - some of it a bit adventerous (like taking a glider from the Estrella Mountains)

Old 01-13-2014, 06:46 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,070,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_jordania View Post
I will be in Arizona for cocktail week

gee, had to look that up....

Arizona Cocktail Week

Old 01-13-2014, 06:56 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,070,740 times
don't know if it's too low-brow for a Cocktail Week participant, but Greasewood Flats qualifies for your "unique, music, bar, and restaurant" requests....a local Scottsdale institution with music Th-Su eves and Sa-Su afternoons....very, very casual, but located in the middle of some of the most valuable residential real estate in Arizona....an estate tax bill is requiring that neighboring land be sold, but Greasewood will remain open, the website says....

Home Page

you may also be interested in Taliesin West, Frank Lloyd Wright's winter school since the 1930s.....

Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation : Tours
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area