Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 04:23 PM

128 posts, read 151,623 times

Advertisements

My husband, niece, and our 4 dogs will be moving out to Phoenix in August/September. We are looking to rent a house (2-3 bedroom) closer to the 17/101 area. Just figured I'd ask what any of you renting a house pay monthly for bills and rent. I want to make sure our butts are covered. We won't be getting cable/satellite or house phone so those aren't a problem. Do you pay rent/water/trash pick up fees? I know that will probably vary too.

Any preferred electric providers as well? Internet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 11:01 AM

10 posts, read 24,927 times
About $1200-$1500 for a house that will be in a nice neighborhood, you can find cheaper. City of Phoenix will be your water/waste service and most likely your trash service in that area. Electric will be APS or SRP, depends who's area you live in. Set your electric plan with on-peak/off-peak hours and do your household stuff accordingly. Get ready for super high bills in the summer and low bills in the winter. Southwest gas will be you NG provider.

Last month for me in a 1100sqft house (1 person);

City of Phoenix - H2O and trash cost me about $40
S/W Gas - $26 but I hardly ran the furnace
SRP - I use more electric than the average person and my bill was $90, I get up to $350 in the summer but I run my A/C at 75 instead of 78 in the summer.

Internet has Cox Cable as the master in the Valley now, but CenturyLink has been busy setting up. Zero experience with CenturyLink but I know they are cheaper than Cox, no idea about customer service or reliability. Cox recently raised my price from $55 to $65 for internet.

Plan your move for September instead of August, a little cooler. Drink lots of water as you walk in/out of the house, don't get heat stroke.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:22 AM

469 posts, read 1,037,714 times
Four dogs?

Old 02-11-2014, 10:38 AM

768 posts, read 1,760,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebeyer2013 View Post
Four dogs?
Yikes! Finding four pet-friendly housing may be your biggest challenge.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:33 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,228,199 times
I can't imagine finding a livable place that will allow four dogs. That is going to be more of a challenge and drive where you live more than anything else. You're going to have to take what you can get as there is not a lot of landlords out there looking for tenants with four dogs.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:18 PM

269 posts, read 535,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I can't imagine finding a livable place that will allow four dogs. That is going to be more of a challenge and drive where you live more than anything else. You're going to have to take what you can get as there is not a lot of landlords out there looking for tenants with four dogs.
Not only landlords, but HOA's as well. We can only have 2 dogs in our HOA.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:42 AM

rhaster thanks for the info! I will keep all of that in mind. Moving date depends on potential jobs for me.

Yes, we have 4 dogs. I don't see why it is such a big problem, my dogs a very well behaved and house trained. I originally had 2 but then rescued 2 that wound up staying because no one wanted them. I understand that there are a lot of people out there who don't like pets because of bad experiences. Hopefully the guy I am in contact with will be able to find us a place. we are considering buying as well for this reason but that might be a long shot.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:01 PM

159 posts, read 226,281 times
We had Cox at first. The promised a "special deal" of $74.98 for 3 months. We only have internet - too busy for TV. Well, the 3rd month it went up to $81.54 without any advance warning. When I called to remind them we had a 3 month special, they denied it!! On the phone and in person! Then Cox tried to keep us by saying they have special offers, etc.. Well, why didn't they tell me that when I signed up! I've heard from others that Cox will increase the bill without any warning.

We switched to Century Link, and our monthly internet bill is $38.49! This is for 1 year. I don't notice anything different with the speed. Plus, they didn't even require an advance deposit but Cox did. The bill is cheaper and they're much nicer too!

On a side note: You will love the Phoenix area! My husband & I moved from Orlando and it's surprising how much more SUN there is in Arizona. Plus no humidity. Our dogs are more energetic (if that's possible for JRT's, lol) and NO fleas!! Our older dog, who is 10 and in good health, had skin irritations in FL, and was always biting and scratching - now his skin is completely clear! Good luck on your move.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klotone View Post
We switched to Century Link, and our monthly internet bill is $38.49! This is for 1 year. I don't notice anything different with the speed. Plus, they didn't even require an advance deposit but Cox did. The bill is cheaper and they're much nicer too!

On a side note: You will love the Phoenix area! My husband & I moved from Orlando and it's surprising how much more SUN there is in Arizona. Plus no humidity. Our dogs are more energetic (if that's possible for JRT's, lol) and NO fleas!! Our older dog, who is 10 and in good health, had skin irritations in FL, and was always biting and scratching - now his skin is completely clear! Good luck on your move.
Great info about the internet! That's one thing I am hoping to avoid so I will check into Century Link as an option.

We also have dogs with skin issues, especially our oldest. And fleas are a huge problem here in South Texas with all of this humidity. I am excited about getting away from the coastal humidity!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: