Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 03:24 AM

725 posts, read 2,322,290 times

Advertisements

Hey this looks like a pretty cool neighborhood. Looks pretty new too, like last 10 years.

Anybody live, work, or shop in Kierland?????

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 07:02 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,450,167 times
You score major points for knowing that Kierland is in Phoenix rather than Scottsdale. A lot of locals don't realize that.

I've shopped and/or dined a Kierland a few times. From my point of view:

+ attractive, clean, and safe
+ walkable urbanist design: on-street parking and garages instead of just surface lots; multi-story buildings; blend of retail, office, and residential
+ near good schools and other shopping and dining
+ reasonably close to good hiking, golf, and other recreation

- too far removed from core of metro area for my taste; I'd prefer to see urbanist designs in truly urban venues
- walkability is limited to actual Kierland development; go a few blocks in any direction and autocentric design resumes
- restaurants reflect limited diversity of area. Lots of sushi, French food, steaks, etc., but no Vietnamese, authentic Mexican, etc.

Last edited by exit2lef; 01-18-2009 at 07:35 AM..

Old 01-18-2009, 07:27 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,622 times
I don't live "in" Kierland per se but just about a mile or 2 up the street.

The last couple pictures are the mid-rise lofts that just opened last year. They are a tad on the pricey side to put it mildly. Or at least they were asking a tad on the pricey side (I think $770K+ was their original offering price for the tiniest units, which I suspect has come down in the current market.). I dont know what the "loft over retail" units inside Kierland go for, but that would be pretty cool to live there.

It is pretty new. I think the "main street" part was officially "finished" in maybe 2001 or 2003. Some of the other locals may know exactly, but I know it was at least 2001 because my older sister temporarily lived out here with my younger sister then and it wasn't finished yet when she was here.

I love going to Kierland. Easy to get in and out of. Easy to find parking-either lot, main street or in the garages (I actually lived here about 6 months before I even knew they had garages lol!). Easy to walk around. Perfect size-any bigger it wouldn't be walkable, any smaller it wouldn't be worth it. There are some good restaurants and of course shopping. Furniture row is pretty cool-the northern end of Kierland up Scottsdale Road has a lot of nice furniture stores. The Westin Resort is right across the street as is the Kierland golf course. Across the street in the varying directions are also an office park and apartments.

As far as "walkable to other stuff", depends how far you consider "walkable". The two plazas at 64th & Greenway with grocery stores and more everyday stuff I would consider walkable. In fact when it isn't too hot outside, I have walked to Kierland from where I live. Which would also put Mayo plaza (Whole Foods, movie theater) and Promenade (Trader Joes and more stores/offices) in walking distance. Thunderbird is just the next intersection down Greenway so that would be walkable in decent weather.

Right across the street from Kierland on the east side is a new "sister" development slated to open in the spring: Scottsdale Quarter. Williams Sonoma, a gourmet grocery store of some sort, and other stores. Eventually a hotel and condos and a movie theater. East of that you get into Airpark-offices, stores and Scottsdale Airport, WalMart, Costco, Target etc.

Kierland also puts you within driving distance (no more than 5 minutes or so) of Desert Ridge/City North and Paradise Valley Mall. And other golf courses (TPC, Wildfire Desert Ridge, Grayhawk and probably others) and spas of course (Fairmont Princess, Marriott Desert Ridge). Access to the 101 is right by where I live.

I love living in this part of town. It is very nice, very convenient and very clean.

Tho an interesting Kierland note of late. North (an excellent "contemporary Italian" restaurant there) opened a "sister" restaurant, Bar North. It was sort of the same theme but a wine bar (ie wine on tap for tasting) and more appetizer-ish menu (fancy bruschetta, calzones etc), comfy outdoor seating. When we went to North a couple weeks ago, they still have the wine taps, but "Bar North" now is just an extension of the regular North dining room with the same menu.

It's interesting that you posted a picture of the bridge. My first few visits out here I stayed with my younger sister who lives off Greenway. Since I am a woman lol I remember directions by landmarks. In the daytime I was ok. But at night, my point of reference was always the lights on the bridge by Kierland (those things that stick up on the bridge are lit at night.)

It is definitely a nice part of town. Median annual income in the 2 adjacent zips I know (85054 and 85254) are $101,594 and $90,501 respectively.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:16 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
I really like Kierland. This is one of the suburban/urban master planned communities which was developed with a lot of care and pride. Before this came to fruition about 15 years ago, it was a large swath of vacant land that accumulated trash and other debris. The project started with the continuation of Greenway Parkway to Scottsdale Road in the early '90s ... and it was landscaped in a way to attract more of an upper crust development.

The Main Street shopping district was the highlight of the Kierland project, which resembles a small walkable city within a city. Most of the shops and restaurants in that area cater to an upscale crowd. It was followed some midrise developments, including the Westin Hotel, office buildings, and lofts. Truly a point of pride in northeast Phoenix/north Scottsdale.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:01 PM

687 posts, read 1,946,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
I don't live "in" Kierland per se but just about a mile or 2 up the street.
As far as "walkable to other stuff", depends how far you consider "walkable". The two plazas at 64th & Greenway with grocery stores and more everyday stuff I would consider walkable. In fact when it isn't too hot outside, I have walked to Kierland from where I live. Which would also put Mayo plaza (Whole Foods, movie theater) and Promenade (Trader Joes and more stores/offices) in walking distance. Thunderbird is just the next intersection down Greenway so that would be walkable in decent weather.
You are among maybe four other people on earth that would walk those routes. Planning theory dictates that people just aren't comfortable walking along multi-lane roads with cars barreling through at 50mph. It's not the distance that's the issue - it's the built environment.

I like Kierland fine. I went there last night to get a book I couldn't find anywhere else. But let's not delude ourselves. It's just a bunch of mall stores and chain restaurants.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:15 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,622 times
Quote:
You are among maybe four other people on earth that would walk those routes. Basic planning theory dictates that people just aren't comfortable walking along multi-lane roads with cars barreling through at 50mph. It's not the distance that's the issue - it's the built environment.
Huh? Why wouldn't people walk? They have invented sidewalks and crossing signals. (Now granted Scottsdale Rd is currently under construction, but when it is completed I suspect there will be sidewalks down Scottsdale. Even without sidewalks before they tore it all up for the current construction, it was fine enough to walk with a wide berm area and sidewalks started once you got by FLW.)

PS I feel safer walking than driving... I had a brand new car totalled when I first moved here. Had less than 3K miles on it. Rear-ended by a freaking ARMOR TRUCK while at a dead stop at a light--->on Greenway by Kierland nonetheless. I will take my chances with walking lol!

Old 01-18-2009, 08:18 PM

687 posts, read 1,946,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
Huh? Why wouldn't people walk? They have invented sidewalks and crossing signals. (Now granted Scottsdale Rd is currently under construction, but when it is completed I suspect there will be sidewalks down Scottsdale. Even without sidewalks before they tore it all up for the current construction, it was fine enough to walk with a wide berm area and sidewalks started once you got by FLW.)

PS I feel safer walking than driving... I had a brand new car totalled when I first moved here. Had less than 3K miles on it. Rear-ended by a freaking ARMOR TRUCK while at a dead stop at a light--->on Greenway by Kierland nonetheless. I will take my chances with walking lol!
People won't (and don't) walk primarily for the reason I gave. The built environment doesn't support it with super-wide roads, large surface lots, and speeding traffic. Sidewalks and crossing signals alone don't make a walkable road.

You may feel comfortable, but most don't and that's why seeing a pedestrian on a city street is a rare occurrence. You're right about one thing: driving isn't exactly a safe enterprise, either. Especially out here.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:48 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,029 times
Kierland-as-urban sounds good on paper, live on the main street over a store, etc., but when you walk out on the street and realize that you can't buy a quart of milk or a loaf of bread there, just kitchen gadgets and over-priced women's clothing, you realize that you have to get in your car and drive to the strip center just like you do in the rest of the suburban sprawl.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:53 PM

725 posts, read 2,322,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Kierland-as-urban sounds good on paper, live on the main street over a store, etc., but when you walk out on the street and realize that you can't buy a quart of milk or a loaf of bread there, just kitchen gadgets and over-priced women's clothing, you realize that you have to get in your car and drive to the strip center just like you do in the rest of the suburban sprawl.
Yeah, I hear ya!!!!!!!!

Seems like it's a bunch of high-end stuff and not enough of the every-day basics.

I would never be able to afford to live in Kierland just from the looks of the place; but was just askin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area