Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 05:01 PM

10 posts, read 29,536 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I wrote here a month or so ago soliciting opinions on the mold situation in Phoenix. I had been thinking of moving to the area to improve my health situation. I had been ready to move without a job. However, I responded to a number of job listings online and was amazed by the response. Long story shot, I flew out from my home here on the east coast two weeks ago. A week later I had an offer which I accepted. I found an apartment in Scottsdale which will work on a 6 month lease for now as I figure out where I want to be long term.

I am curious on a few basic things as I prepare to hit the ground running there at the end of next week:

Cable - I cut the cord 6 months ago, but will probably plunk down for cable (internet at least). What's the opinion on the local outfits like Cox cable? I have had Comcast and Directv in the past. I basically just watch sports. I especially enjoy college sports, so access to conference specific networks like Big Ten and Pac 12 networks are plus.

Car Dealers - I will need to buy a car. Where I live now it's a pain in the ass. My office is less than a mile from where I will be living, so I can go without a car for a bit. I visited Camelback Toyota. Wasn't a horrible experience. I am not looking to spend a ton. Corolla, Accord, Jetta are on the radar. My experience with this sort of thing is that certain dealers are notoriously bad. You the know the ones trying to sling rustproofing (that TrueCoat a heckuva a sealant!), playing games, etc. I am looking for an honest dealer with a good reputation.

Mattress Dealers - Anyone have any experience with a low cost mattress start-up based in Tempe called Tuft & Needle? I will likely leave my current mattress here. Otherwise, anyone have any furniture store recs?

Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 10:30 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Re: Cable. Cox is really the only reliable high speed internet provider. I had mixed emotions about their customer service when we lived in Phoenix, but ALWAYS liked their product. Now that I've moved to Raleigh and am stuck with Time Warner, I'd pay extra to get Cox Cable back. I didn't know how good we had it. I'd say the same of their Cable TV services, except now we've dumped TWC in favor of Direct TV, which is very, very good.

In regards to car dealers, depends on what type of vehicle you are looking for. Give us that information, and you'll get some suggestions. My personal suggestion would be to consider buying a used car off of craigslist.

Mattress = Costco

Enjoy your new home - there are many things we still miss about the area!

Old 02-26-2014, 10:35 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
DirecTV does NOT have an agreement with the Pac12 Network, so you will need Cox for that. I use CenturyLink for my internet/phone with no issues (I'd use them for my TV, too, but their Prism TV is not yet available in my area. It may be in yours.) You'll see threads here back and forth about Cox and CenturyLink, some like one, some like the other. Both have good deals for new subscribers.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:08 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,228,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
DirecTV does NOT have an agreement with the Pac12 Network, so you will need Cox for that. I use CenturyLink for my internet/phone with no issues (I'd use them for my TV, too, but their Prism TV is not yet available in my area. It may be in yours.) You'll see threads here back and forth about Cox and CenturyLink, some like one, some like the other. Both have good deals for new subscribers.
Dish Network has the PAC-12 Network which is a much better option than Cox. I've had all both and Dish runs circles around Cox.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:24 PM

269 posts, read 535,350 times
You'll pay a hefty sales tax on car bought from any dealer here, new or used. Depending on city dealer is in, it's 7-9% roughly. Adds up and add in our high registration and you'll get sticker shock. Private party sales are charged no sales tax.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:51 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,689,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Dish Network has the PAC-12 Network which is a much better option than Cox. I've had all both and Dish runs circles around Cox.

This. As far as television goes...........Dish>>>>>>Cox. I've had both, there's no comparison, more channels, lower prices with Dish, better selection too.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:12 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post

You're right, of course. Brain not in high gear yesterday. Dish is the far better option of those two, just looking at the channels, etc.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:37 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,745,978 times
I don't have Dish (and wouldn't because I don't want a dish on my roof) but their website shows the Pac 12 Network as SD but not HD. I suppose that could be a mistake.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:43 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,228,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I don't have Dish (and wouldn't because I don't want a dish on my roof) but their website shows the Pac 12 Network as SD but not HD. I suppose that could be a mistake.
If the website shows that then it is a mistake because I have Dish and watch all the Sun Devils games in HD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area