Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 05:41 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,331,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Not in the suburbs - my homes are *in* Phoenix, and I'm firmly in the camp that supports living in the city if you work here. But I'm also of a mind to fire up the bulldozers when necessary to clear up poorly-planned, poorly built, obsolete & blighted neighborhoods before the rot sets in.

There arent enough people with good incomes who want two-bedroom, one bath homes as a long-term lifestyle choice. That's the house you buy because it's cheaper than rent until you can afford your "real" house. Bankrupting yourself and/or wasting your free time overimproving a tiny house in a bad neighborhood isn't an "investment", it's foolish. If people wanted them, builders would be building new ones - how many builders offer a two-bed, one bath option currently?
Builders don't invest in small urban houses because they are not what "the masses" want. That doesn't mean no one wants them. Of course it's stupid to over-improve a house ... in any neighborhood and at any income level. But it's certainly possible to improve a small home sensibly and cost-effectively that would be attractive to many people: first-time buyers, empty-nesters, single people, couples. And many of those people are also attracted to urban areas. Not everyone wants to be stuck in outer suburbia where you might have to drive a mile to even get out of the subdivision.

I've purchased several homes in "up and coming areas" and fixed them up. I made a profit of $98,000 on my first sale. I used that money to buy the second one with cash and still had enough left over to do the work. I haven't flipped a house lately because it hasn't seemed profitable and I'm rather distracted with other responsibilities at present. But it certainly still can be cost effective. And don't ever assume there are no buyers for two-bedroom homes. Who do you think buys all those two-bedroom condos in the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 07:15 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,896,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Sunnyslope has potential, but I think it's a long way off from being another Roosevelt. It would be kind of cool to see a revitalized neighborhood with row houses and more walkable. Sunnyslope is fairly walkable as is, but revamping the area would give it more walkability. I wonder what it would be called if & when revitalization happens ... the "Slope", or possibly "Slo Ro"? I remember a long time ago, Van Buren was nicknamed "Ho Ro", but that had a meaning all its own.
()
Slopetopia

Old 04-17-2014, 11:25 AM

73 posts, read 152,087 times
Slopetopia is fantastic, and I agree it's definitely got a lot of potential. Especially with the bikepath and that nice part of Central with all the big trees right nearby. I think however metro ends up will make a big difference to the area though, hopefully they're able to do something to help revitalize it. Anyone know of any efforts?

Old 04-17-2014, 03:50 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,486,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingitslola View Post
Slopetopia is fantastic, and I agree it's definitely got a lot of potential. Especially with the bikepath and that nice part of Central with all the big trees right nearby. I think however metro ends up will make a big difference to the area though, hopefully they're able to do something to help revitalize it. Anyone know of any efforts?
I talked to one of the store managers at one of the stores inside of Metro. According to them, the new owner's plan is to entice new stores and restaurants around the perimeter of the mall to increase traffic. So if you drive around Metro you will notice a bunch of new restaurants going in or existing restaurants doing extensive remodels. The old Toys 'R Us building has a new Conn's going in. Will have to see if it works. Guess there are other plans to make the actual mall some sort of multi-use. Maybe combination of offices and stores.

Need to do something, that mall is actually in a very centrally located area. When I came out to Phoenix a few years ago I stayed at a hotel next to Metro to base my operations for the week. I was pretty much in the epicenter of the entire valley, took me the same amount of time to reach all areas of town.

Other thing that I noticed a few weeks ago is that there are now some big call centers around Peoria and 23rd Avenue. Was surprised to see how many cars trying to exit off their campus and head towards the freeway. If the 'Slope was in better shape I would expect to see some cars heading east from 23rd Avenue.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:04 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,692,207 times
Watch out for DoWiSeTrePla, it's definitely an underrated, up-and-coming neighborhood.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,165 times
Well, the city has already begun construction on extending the light rail to 19th/Dunlap, which will be complete by 2016. Between being given a light rail stop, a revitalized Metro, and what the area already offers, there is basically no way The Slope can't be an up and coming area.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:21 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,505,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Watch out for DoWiSeTrePla, it's definitely an underrated, up-and-coming neighborhood.
Where in the DoWiSeTrePla is this supposed to be?

Old 04-28-2014, 06:25 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,658,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Where in the DoWiSeTrePla is this supposed to be?
It's a great spot. Just don't inhale.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:04 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,486,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
It's a great spot. Just don't inhale.
Guess that makes my neighborhood DoWiDaFa, smells just as bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area