Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 03:30 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,229,353 times

Advertisements

Do you all agree that there is a "check in check out" mentality among residents of north Scottsdale, particularly in the senior community? People living in gated or large master planned communities and barely knowing one another even after many years of living on the same street or having a grumpy, leave me alone attitude? No common clubs, community activities and people barely attending HOA meetings. I did an internet search on active adult communities in the Northwest Valley and the Southeast Valley and it appears they have active, thriving clubs, loyal volunteers to the community/HOA, lots of smiling, happy senior citizens in the newsletters and a more pleasant atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 03:40 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
My community is not limited to seniors but it's quite the opposite of what you described. Very friendly and very active.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:42 PM

428 posts, read 5,884,817 times
There is no age restricted active adult communities in in Scottsdale. And it's not just the retired, a lot of my neighbors have that keep to themselves mentality. I only know a couple of my neighbors well only because my daughters know their kids through school.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince3vince View Post
There is no age restricted active adult communities in in Scottsdale. And it's not just the retired, a lot of my neighbors have that keep to themselves mentality. I only know a couple of my neighbors well only because my daughters know their kids through school.

That's correct about no age restricted active adult communities in Scottsdale, but from what I have been told and heard, in all practicality most communities in North Scottsdale (north of the 101) are, as the great majority of residents/owners in them are 55+.

Old 03-01-2014, 03:58 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
That's correct about no age restricted active adult communities in Scottsdale, but from what I have been told and heard, in all practicality most communities in North Scottsdale (north of the 101) are, as the great majority of residents/owners in them are 55+.
You heard wrong. Tons of young families in DC Ranch, MMR, Windgate and Grayhawk. Lots of old people too but the area hardly resembles a 55+ community. Have you been up here?

What is your question? You asked about the mentality of those in 55+ communities in N Scottsale and then acknowledged that none exist.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:02 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Do you all agree that there is a "check in check out" mentality among residents of north Scottsdale, particularly in the senior community? People living in gated or large master planned communities and barely knowing one another even after many years of living on the same street or having a grumpy, leave me alone attitude? No common clubs, community activities and people barely attending HOA meetings. I did an internet search on active adult communities in the Northwest Valley and the Southeast Valley and it appears they have active, thriving clubs, loyal volunteers to the community/HOA, lots of smiling, happy senior citizens in the newsletters and a more pleasant atmosphere.
It depends where in North Scottsdale that you live. D.C. Ranch and the areas around that area are very family oriented and have a lot of young families that do embrace community. If you live near Grayhawk and the area north of the 101 on Scottsdale Road, that can have a lot of snowbirds who are insular.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:07 PM

I've been in the area of Troon, Troon North, Desert Highlands, and others that I don't recall the names of on Scottsdale and Pima Rds north of the 101 and from what I saw in the neighborhoods that weren't gated and in the shopping centers were mostly people that looked 55+. Not saying that's good or bad. People have told me about the behavior I described with these seniors. I agree with you about MMR and DC Ranch. I've cruised those neighborhoods and been to the main grocery stores that serve them and yes, there is a variety of age groups.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:10 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,891 times
Quote:
I am not sure which communities you are talking about, but I "hang out" in two communities Winfield and Terravita and both are extremely friendly with activities and clubs for just about any interest. Both hold Super Bowl parties, New Years eve party's, Halloween parties, etc. Just about any excuse for a party.

In Winfield, in addition to tennis (which is the community focus) there are Men's club and Women's clubs that do activities like go to sporting events, host dinners, host book clubs, play readings, etc. The women have Bridge, Mahjong, exercise groups. The men have hiking club.

Terravita which has Golf and Tennis also hosts dozens of clubs and quarterly dinners at the country club for residents and guests. Some of the locals play in a band (we are talking men in their 60's) which hold regular concerts and dances at the clubhouse.

While neither community is an adult community, a large percentage of residents are older with common interests. Many of the residents form very tight bonds and dine, shop and vacation together.

Just as a note I do not live in either community, but because I am friendly (yes I said friendly) with some of the residents I have gotten invited to events and I am welcomed at most of the club events. I spend as much time with these people as I do at home. Should I ever decide to move, it is very likely I will move to one of these communities or another that is similar.

If you are not experiencing a friendly atmosphere where you live, you are either in the wrong place or not trying hard enough. It takes someone to get the ball rolling.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It depends where in North Scottsdale that you live. D.C. Ranch and the areas around that area are very family oriented and have a lot of young families that do embrace community. If you live near Grayhawk and the area north of the 101 on Scottsdale Road, that can have a lot of snowbirds who are insular.

Do you think Sun Lakes or the active adult communities in the Northwest Valley have less snowbirds, hence the greater sense of community vs the neighborhoods of north Scottsdale north of 101? Maybe it's the snowbird factor that makes these people insular and less friendly.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:52 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
I live in South Chandler a little north of sun lakes and I notice an uptick in business and longer wait times in restaurants in the winter so there are probably a fair amount of snowbirds in sun lakes too. also a lot of "barely 55" types that are still in th workforce. Hamilton high (perennial football powerhouse) has a small section set aside for sun lakes residents and that's a fall sport obv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area