Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2014, 07:07 PM

34 posts, read 48,946 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'm moving to Arizona beginning of June. I want to live in Phoenix but not sure North Mountain or South Mountain. I'm not even sure of map boundaries. I work from home so location is not big deal. I'm a single 51 yr old woman with two dogs.

I will be buying a condo townhomes. They seem to be plentiful in north mountain area and prices seem reasonable. I can only afford around $100k.

I would love to hear your experiences and thoughts around living IN PHOENIX. seems many posts on board are about phoenix burbs.

Thx!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 07:13 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,066,008 times
living "in" Phoenix is fine!.....1.5 million people do it!.....

when buying, check on HOA rules and fees, weird/noisy neighbors, parking, store and shopping access, noise from airports, freeways, and/or nearby bars, access to freeways you may use, general daily living concerns.....

100K will get you an average small-ish place, probably built more than 20 years ago, maybe a condo conversion (former apartment), probably no private garage, average location.....

Old 03-09-2014, 08:55 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,177,644 times
Well, it appears you are not too familiar with Phoenix neighborhoods because N. Mountain and S. Mountain are not only quite a distance apart (about 15 miles), they are very different in look and feel. While it is certainly possible to find condos under $100K it depends on size, number of rooms, age, amenities, etc. Also you must consider the HOA costs per month and what you get for the money.

You also might consider some homes on the east side near the Biltmore or Arcadia areas as there will be a few options there and they are convenient and desirable.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:24 PM

Thank you both very much!

No, I am not very familiar with phoenix. I have been there 3 times but stayed in tucson visiting phoenix only twice.

I would love it if you would expand on the differences from north mountain and south mountain.

I am familiar with buying condos; just not in AZ!! HOAs are much more reasonable than my current condo. I'm paying $430 now!! I have only seen a couple condos on phoenix with similar HOA costs.

I've not considered East phoenix. Ill look into it. Thanks!!

Old 03-10-2014, 12:18 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,980,169 times
The city of Phoenix is divided up into different "villages". North Mountain and South Mountain are only two of Phoenix's many "villages" and both are large geographic areas with many different neighborhoods.

North Mountain Village: Quite a large area in North Central Phoenix that consists of Sunnyslope, Metro Center Area, and the Moon Valley area. It's a busier area of the city. This area has a lot of condos and it's a pretty convenient central location. The area has a little bit of everything and everybody and you shouldn't have a problem at all finding something in your budget in this area.

South Mountain Village: This area isn't nearly as built up or as populated as North Mountain Village. I feel like South Phoenix is underdeveloped and It's still pretty industrial until you get far south near Baseline Rd . A lot of the housing and residential areas is older and rundown and there arent a plethora of condos/townhomes really. There are a couple of new townhomes on Baseline but it's mainly just apartments. Now there's an area behind South Mountain called "Ahwatukee Foothills" which is a separate village and area from South Mountain Village. Ahwatukee is a nice area at the base of South Mountain and you might find something in the older area near 48th St&Elliott, Guadalupe area. Great area if you like hiking and being outdoorsy and what not.

Camelback East: This is another area with a lot of condos/townhomes. It's pricier but you might be able to score on something in this area. The location couldn't be better you'll be close to Biltmore, Old Town, and not far from Downtown Phoenix.

Last edited by BuckeyeBoyDJ; 03-10-2014 at 12:28 AM..

Old 03-10-2014, 06:46 AM

Hi buckeyeboy! That's exactly what I wanted to know! It does seem like there is more condo availability in the north area. Thank you so much. This info is very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: