Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 09:36 PM

4 posts, read 5,709 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just moved here a few weeks ago and back home (New Orleans) there are several school or church fairs in April & May. I did a quick google but couldn't find any information. Does this area have these type of events - where there is music, food, adult drinks, and games/rides? We live in Scottsdale but don't mind traveling around Phoenix. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 10:22 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,325,211 times
The Maricopa County Fair will take place at the Arizona State Fairgrounds April 9 through 13. You'll get to meet Sponge Bob Square Pants. Maricopa County Fair the largest county fair in phoenix

If you're up for a drive to Tucson, the Pima County Fair takes place from April 17 to 27. Much bigger doings than Sponge Bob. Horse shows, horse jumping contests, all kinds of animal stuff and circus acts, amusement rides. Nightly concerts (mostly included in entrance price) include Megadeth, Bret Micheals, Juicy J, Scott Weiland (formerly of Stone Temple Pilots) and the Wildabouts, Tyler Farr, Lee Brice, and Voz de Mando. There's a Beer Fest on the 19th, lots of vehicles crashing into each other, and tons of food. Take I-10 to the Houghton Road exit and head south.
Home | Pima County FairPima County Fair

You have to wait until fall for the much larger Arizona State Fair. It's 2014 tentative dates are October 10 - November 2.
https://azstatefair.com/

If you're just looking for an 18-inch, $25 corn dog stuffed with jalapeños and cheddar cheese, you'll have to get that at the ballpark. It will keep you from noticing that the Diamondbacks are losing.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:24 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
School and church fairs/carnivals are much less common here, I think. I used to hear about them once in a while (I didn't go to them, so I can't describe them in detail), but it's been a long time. There are some ethnic festivals (Greek comes first to mind, but I know there are others) the Ostrich Festival in Chandler, and various other events, but carnivals exactly like the ones you remember from home, not so much.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:21 AM

768 posts, read 1,760,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie13 View Post
My husband and I just moved here a few weeks ago and back home (New Orleans) there are several school or church fairs in April & May. I did a quick google but couldn't find any information. Does this area have these type of events - where there is music, food, adult drinks, and games/rides? We live in Scottsdale but don't mind traveling around Phoenix. Thanks!
As a NOLA native in PHX - the answer is not really. The larger Greek Orthodox church(es) have annual "festivals" which may remind you of something similar in NOLA sans the adult drinks and food, of course.

After 8 years in the Valley, we can honestly say there is nothing in PHX that is remotely similar to living in NOLA. Just like the song, "Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans" ...

Old 04-06-2014, 08:15 PM

4 posts, read 5,709 times
Thank you for your replies jukesgrrl, observer53 & caryberry!

Old 04-07-2014, 05:00 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,604,253 times
Scottsdale is known for their culinary and arts festivals.

The arts festivals always have lots of things for the kiddos to do. The culinary festival is more for the grown ups.

Scottsdale Culinary Festival |

SCOTTSDALE ARTS FESTIVAL

ArtFest - Art Festivals in Arizona, Nevada, California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area