Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 08:15 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,163,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I have been to a good number of the "top BBQ" joints in Texas, Kansas City, North Carolina and a number of other places. When you arrive at the restaurant determines the quality of the meat. I have had some less than stellar meals at Cooper's in Llanos, TX, and Arthur Bryant's in Kansas City, just to name a couple. Of course, when you post that meals in those places are not up to par, everyone will say that "you don't appreciate BBQ." My response is that I don't appreciate overcooked, dried out meat.

I have had some good meals at some of the chains including Famous Dave's
I also think some of this might be in our heads. If I'm craving BBQ, it gets rounded up in my head. If I have too high of expectations, the same taste can be rounded down. My last point is analogous when someone brags about a movie. I walk in having super high expectations and come out underwhelmed because the bar was set so high.

When it comes to ribs, the quality can vary even in the same restaurant on the same day in the same pit. One pig just didn't taste as good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 08:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I also think some of this might be in our heads. If I'm craving BBQ, it gets rounded up in my head. If I have too high of expectations, the same taste can be rounded down. My last point is analogous when someone brags about a movie. I walk in having super high expectations and come out underwhelmed because the bar was set so high.

When it comes to ribs, the quality can vary even in the same restaurant on the same day in the same pit. One pig just didn't taste as good.
As a certified BBQ judge who's judged many a comp and lived with a couple of Chefs I'd say you hit it on the head. This is something we grapple with every time we sit down to judge. As for taste, it can vary from one rib to another even when from the same rack. If you ever watch those that comp cook you'll see them pick over several racks of ribs to get the " just the right 6" for turn in. Many times it's a couple from each rack.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:08 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post

A lot of it has to do with the timing, also.

For example, you get there early in the day. At some pits, you are going to be served leftovers from the night before (Arthur Bryants).

You get there at the end of the day, again, you get leftovers. The BBQ goat that i Got at Cooper's was so overcooked that no sauce could revive the poor meat.

When entering a BBQ joint, I have low expectations as I have been burned on a number of occasions.

============================

A few years ago, I invited eight food friends to dinner. I had two pans of BBQ ribs, one from Famous Dave's (which they "hated") and one from a local BBQ joint that they were always lauding. Six of them preferred Famous Dave's.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:09 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
A lot of it has to do with the timing, also.

For example, you get there early in the day. At some pits, you are going to be served leftovers from the night before (Arthur Bryants).

You get there at the end of the day, again, you get leftovers. The BBQ goat that i Got at Cooper's was so overcooked that no sauce could revive the poor meat.

When entering a BBQ joint, I have low expectations as I have been burned on a number of occasions.

============================

A few years ago, I invited eight food friends to dinner. I had two pans of BBQ ribs, one from Famous Dave's (which they "hated") and one from a local BBQ joint that they were always lauding. Six of them preferred Famous Dave's.
Nice pun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area