Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 04:28 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times

Advertisements

I feel like this summer is colder than average. Or maybe I'm finally building a heat tolerance, I don't know.

Summer feels terrible for me until monsoon season. I welcome the clouds with open arms at that point. Wind helps me as well. Give me some blowdryer wind and some shade from the sun and I'm good

I'm the unpopular opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 04:52 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
I feel like this summer is colder than average. Or maybe I'm finally building a heat tolerance, I don't know.

Summer feels terrible for me until monsoon season. I welcome the clouds with open arms at that point. Wind helps me as well. Give me some blowdryer wind and some shade from the sun and I'm good

I'm the unpopular opinion.
I have not looked to verify but I somewhat agree. I don't remember the evening cool downs like we've had this far into June. It is actually somewhat pleasant out once the sun goes down.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:55 PM

63 posts, read 165,142 times
June nights have definitely been cooler this year. Last week I walked in my backyard about 9 pm and it felt like it was October.

And there is no "6 months of hell". Just July and August.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:05 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,718,106 times
3000 to 5000 feet elevation is the sweet spot. The hotshots that live in the northern parts of Cave Creek/Carefree get those benefits in those HOA communities. The wind up there is always much stronger as I enjoy hikes up there as well overlooking Fountain Hills and Scottsdale far below. I'll be the first to admit cities such as Kingman, Cottonwood and south of Tucson in communities like Tubac and Rio Rico have the best weather year around. Rarely stay above 100 for any length of time and get an occasional dusting of snow in the winter.

Local suggestions. Drive or hike up Mt Ord Road between Sunflower and Payson. A great 7 mile dirt road trip to the top. Way more manageable to drive on than Four Peaks Road so long as you use common sense.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:27 PM

3 posts, read 3,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Ha, that's funny because according to you guys, the summer heat starts in April. Now that someone doesn't recognize it's that bad, "summer is coming" It's nearly July. How has the summer not started? I seem to recall plenty of people claiming the summer started back in May on this forum. You guys need to make up your mind.

Unbelievable
lol. I just moved here in December from Salt Lake. There I would get very uncomfortable when the temps started getting around 80. When they got to 100 I was miserable. Really liked the snow and cold temps (except for my toes and fingers which have bad circulation). Would sometimes wear shorts while it was snowing.

I can't say everything has been good here temp wise for me, but it has been much better than I thought. I seriously didn't know how I was going to make it. It's really odd to me. I thought it was funny the other day when I saw a temp sign that said, "98 degrees" and my first thought was ,"not too bad" all the while comparing to when it had been 107. I just laughed and laughed at myself.

And it wasn't the humidity because Utah really isn't that much more humid than AZ.

We moved here for work. There were 3 companies in Utah that do the work that DH does and they weren't hiring. All things considered when he lost his job this was the best all around place for us despite the heat.

Anyway when I told people I was going to die here everyone would say, "it won't be bad. You'll get used to it. You'll be in air conditioning." All I wanted was some validation to how I was feeling.

The last week I have expressed my pleasure at how well I am doing. I know it is going to get worse, but really when 100 was miserable for me, but I am doing ok, not great, when it is 107 I view that as a really positive thing. So I tell people this and now I hear, "just wait till July and August! This is nothing!"

Funny how people can't give that validation for feelings. And I'm just as bad as everyone else!

Old 06-28-2014, 08:03 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyPos View Post
lol. I just moved here in December from Salt Lake. There I would get very uncomfortable when the temps started getting around 80. When they got to 100 I was miserable. Really liked the snow and cold temps (except for my toes and fingers which have bad circulation). Would sometimes wear shorts while it was snowing.

I can't say everything has been good here temp wise for me, but it has been much better than I thought. I seriously didn't know how I was going to make it. It's really odd to me. I thought it was funny the other day when I saw a temp sign that said, "98 degrees" and my first thought was ,"not too bad" all the while comparing to when it had been 107. I just laughed and laughed at myself.

And it wasn't the humidity because Utah really isn't that much more humid than AZ.

We moved here for work. There were 3 companies in Utah that do the work that DH does and they weren't hiring. All things considered when he lost his job this was the best all around place for us despite the heat.

Anyway when I told people I was going to die here everyone would say, "it won't be bad. You'll get used to it. You'll be in air conditioning." All I wanted was some validation to how I was feeling.

The last week I have expressed my pleasure at how well I am doing. I know it is going to get worse, but really when 100 was miserable for me, but I am doing ok, not great, when it is 107 I view that as a really positive thing. So I tell people this and now I hear, "just wait till July and August! This is nothing!"

Funny how people can't give that validation for feelings. And I'm just as bad as everyone else!
You're doing well!! There are only 2 times a year I start to panic a bit, the first week or two in July if the monsoon doesn't kick off and the last few weeks in October if it's still above a hundred. Other than that its smooth sailing.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:00 AM

13,264 posts, read 7,316,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyPos View Post

Last year it was 116 this same week this year so far it's been mild I actually can work outside. Next week we will get some monsoon humidity and temps are suppose to be 110+, so it won't be long before you feel the real heat. It doesn't take much humidity maybe 20-30% when temps are 113 to keep most people inside.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:11 AM

3,328 posts, read 2,272,279 times
I think the first part of summer, when you can still open up the house very early in the morning and catch a cool breeze, really isn't bad. When that ends and you need to keep things closed up all the time, followed by the monsoon season with heat *and* humidity--that's when it gets rough.

When I start forgetting what a cool breeze feels like, then I know summer is getting to me.

I don't think the worst part is actually that long; it's the relentlessness of it that can wear you down.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:32 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,944,101 times
For me it's never really different...we literally never open up windows to let air in, no matter when it is during the year. Heck even in he winter the AC runs during the day sometimes and the heat at night.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:51 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,910,576 times
I'm digging it so far. I spend a lot of time in the pool, and for me that's not much of a sacrifice. I have been drinking a lot of water. Not consciously making myself do it, it just happens when I turn up the bottle, lol. My wife and I went back to Louisville for a wedding two weeks ago and found it to be as gross and uncomfortable as we remembered it. Not a day goes by that we don't remind ourselves how grateful we are to be here. I love Arizona!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area