Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 01:45 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,667,923 times

Advertisements

Ooma is VOIP, so you have to have working broadband connection. (Like internet cable). You buy a box for a time fee of $149 (seems to be the going price. I checked Walmart.com, Amazon.com and Best Buy.com). But right now they have a $30 rebate going on.

Where To Buy | Free Internet Home Phone Service | Ooma

After that you just pay the local fees. Mine is $4.16. Had it for a couple years, had very, very few problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 01:57 PM

487 posts, read 748,808 times
So, caller ID is additional with Ooma? I have been working with cell phones only for several years now, and thought I might like a "landline" once we move to AZ, but I don't want to spend much on it, since we've been functioning pretty well without one.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:38 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat1105 View Post
So, caller ID is additional with Ooma? I have been working with cell phones only for several years now, and thought I might like a "landline" once we move to AZ, but I don't want to spend much on it, since we've been functioning pretty well without one.
Yes, you have to buy the premium feature package ($119 per year) if you want caller ID. It shows the number that is calling but doesn't ID it.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:16 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat1105 View Post
How about something for free you can make/receive VOIP calls with lots of other features on your pc or laptop?

Google Voice. Tons of features for free including some cool call forwarding to other phone numbers you might have, ie like your cell/smartphone.

Google Voice - Features ? Google Voice

I've been using it for years.

They used to have 3rd party software on android and apple devices where you could call/receive calls for no charge but unfortunately I understand google did away with this just a short time ago. The app I had on our Android tablet that allowed such a thing stopped working for me within the last week.

But, you can still do everything google voice offers(sms texting, VOIP calls, voicemail, Voicemail to email conversion, caller id, phone number of your choice, etc) all for free but have to make/receive the calls from your pc or laptop.

Old 07-04-2014, 04:34 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
Google voice is worthless without a computer or device to use it. Ooma allows me to have regular phone handsets in each of my rooms around the house.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:09 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Google voice is worthless without a computer or device to use it. Ooma allows me to have regular phone handsets in each of my rooms around the house.
Right, you can't use regular handsets with google voice at this point as I understand, only make/receive calls via a pc or laptop.

There were some devices (like the Obi100 bridge) that allows such a thing, ie use regular handsets, but I read google dumped support for the protocol just recently.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:00 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,667,923 times
I use Google Voice with my Ooma.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:07 PM

397 posts, read 659,971 times
If you have a problem with Cox just call them and hit the option to cancel, you'll get transferred to someone who can make things happen. Dealing with their first level of support can be time-consuming and frustrating.

VOIP on dsl can be crappy as their upstream speed isn't even in the same ballpark as cable internet. If its the only thing you're doing it should be OK but if you have lots of other internet activity going on when you are on the phone it can cut out. More on Cox vs. Centurylink here:

cox internet monthly data cap overages emails

Old 07-06-2014, 08:25 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,380,011 times
Seems like Ooma is only for phone and century link and cox is for broadband am i correct? Is there a provider providing complete package such as home phone, broadband and cable TV? We will also be moving to Phoenix soon and I am thinking to subscribe in one company that can provide everything Thank you!

Old 07-06-2014, 08:44 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,225,324 times
You could get the Nettalk Duo from Wal-mart for under $50 and pay zero in monthly fees. I mean zero literally - not even tax. It's also VoIP and includes local & long distance, with all the bells & whistles like Caller ID. It also drops an email to your inbox whenever a voice message is left and you can play your message from either your phone's handset, any computer or directly from your email (ie on your cell phone). The $50 or so you pay to buy the thing includes the first year of service. After that, it's just under $30/year (with no monthly taxes) to continue. You can port your old home number or get a new one, with any area code in the US that is available.

For those who routinely call Mexico or Canada, there is an add-on you could purchase anually for a small amount, which will give you unlimited calls to that country. There are add-ons for many other countries, too.

We've been using it for years and it's hassle-free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area