Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 10:37 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I think that has more to do with what service people can afford or choose to pay for then what is actually available. The vast majority of people in Arizona have access to speeds much higher than what is being shown as the "average" for the state.
It's like education, health care, and child welfare. We always have a perfectly rational explanation, don't we?

Much of our state has nothing more than dial-up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 10:47 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It's like education, health care, and child welfare. We always have a perfectly rational explanation, don't we?

Much of our state has nothing more than dial-up.
Considering that 66% of Arizona's population lives in the Phoenix Metro area, and has access to internet speeds above 100-150 Mbps, I don't know how any other conclusion can be reached. That doesn't even take into account the large portion that lives in Tucson and has access to higher speeds.

That article makes it seem like higher speed internet isn't available to the average Arizona resident which obviously isn't the case.

And EVERY part of the state has access to satellite internet. There is no place that has "nothing more than dial-up". HughesNet says they offer 15 Mbps satellite internet which is higher than the average in the fastest state (according to that article).

Last edited by LBTRS; 08-08-2014 at 11:20 AM..

Old 08-08-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Considering that 66% of Arizona's population lives in the Phoenix Metro area, and has access to internet speeds above 100-150 Mbps, I don't know how any other conclusion can be reached. That doesn't even take into account the large portion that lives in Tucson and has access to higher speeds.

That article makes it seem like higher speed internet isn't available to the average Arizona resident which obviously isn't the case.

And EVERY part of the state has access to satellite internet. There is no place that has "nothing more than dial-up". HughesNet says they offer 15 Mbps satellite internet which is higher than the average in the fastest state (according to that article).
The satellite would be available to everyone in all states I would guess. When I looked into it for my property up north, they had satellite download, but the upload was over a phone line. Whatever, I would think that the same criteria would have been applied to every state, and there was no conspiracy to make AZ look bad. So by the same measures that applied to all the states, we come up short. It's a pattern that is all too familiar, I think. I get tired of the excuses and the "yes, buts". We need to get off the bottom in a lot of areas if we are going to attract new, desirable business and growth to the state going forward. It looks especially bad when we are down there again with Mississippi in internet performance and access. We're getting all excited on this thread about getting internet speeds that are common in much of the world already.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:54 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
Quote:
The satellite would be available to everyone in all states I would guess. When I looked into it for my property up north, they had satellite download, but the upload was over a phone line. Whatever, I would think that the same criteria would have been applied to every state, and there was no conspiracy to make AZ look bad. So by the same measures that applied to all the states, we come up short. It's a pattern that is all too familiar, I think. I get tired of the excuses and the "yes, buts". We need to get off the bottom in a lot of areas if we are going to attract new, desirable business and growth to the state going forward. It looks especially bad when we are down there again with Mississippi in internet performance and access. We're getting all excited on this thread about getting internet speeds that are common in much of the world already.
No, they are getting excited in this thread about getting double the internet speeds for the SAME PRICE they were already paying. I've had 150 Mbps internet for years and you and everyone in this thread could have had it also if you wanted to pay for it.

The speeds they are now getting are not new, they have been available for a long time. You're acting like we've not had access to these speeds and that is why we're at the bottom of some list, which isn't correct at all. They are getting excited about paying the same price and getting 50 Mbps speeds which is almost double the average speed for the highest ranked country in the world (according to that article).

Also, needing a phone line for satellite internet is how it used to work years ago. There is no phone line required for satellite internet today.

The article wasn't a conspiracy to make Arizona look bad, however, I think you're using it as a way to make Arizona look bad. We can have much faster internet than the 8 Mbps average if we want it. A lot of people are choosing not to have it for one reason or another. We're not deprived of it and some state that is behind in technology which is keeping business and others from moving here as you're insinuating and comparing to "education, health care, and child welfare".

Last edited by LBTRS; 08-08-2014 at 12:09 PM..

Old 08-08-2014, 12:12 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times
Quote:
Wouldn't you know. Arizona is near the bottom of the pile when it comes to internet as well.

Which U.S. state has the fastest Internet speed? Virginia - CBS News

Perhaps a bigger question to ask.....why is the US so slow compared to countries like South Korea?

As for AZ, the numbers range from 14.1 Mbps at the top and 7 at the bottom with most of the results clustering in the 11 to 7 range with AZ falling square in the middle with a 9. I would hardly call that "near the bottom of the pile". Especially when the difference of speed in the middle are in tenths. I bet looking at just the Phoenix metro area alone we rate very well in terms of internet speed.

AZ of course has a good deal of rural area outside the 2 main metro areas of Phoenix and Tucson where I'm guessing there's not much fiber or major internet providers are located and don't invest in providing much in the way of high speed internet where people might end up with some slower service that skews the averages down.

Last edited by stevek64; 08-08-2014 at 12:24 PM..

Old 08-08-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Perhaps a bigger question to ask.....why is the US so slow compared to countries like South Korea?

As for AZ, the numbers range from 14.1 Mbps at the top and 7 at the bottom with most of the results clustering in the 11 to 7 range with AZ falling square in the middle with a 9. I would hardly call that "near the bottom of the pile". Especially when the difference of speed in the middle are in tenths.

AZ of course has a good deal of rural area outside the 2 main metro areas of Phoenix and Tucson where I'm guessing there's not much fiber or major internet providers are located and don't invest in providing much in the way of high speed internet where people might end up with some slower service that skews the averages down.
Good point, but I did not want to get to far OT. I'm in enough trouble for daring to speak ill of Tempe and the light rail as it is. You could probably attribute the poor US showing to the same thing you are saying about AZ. The cities have good service, but the rural areas are left out. I have seen numerous reports of this. High tech infrastructure in the US is neglected just like the roads and bridges are.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:25 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times
Quote:
Good point, but I did not want to get to far OT. I'm in enough trouble for daring to speak ill of Tempe and the light rail as it is.
hehehe....uh ohhh....I'm on thin ice now!

Old 08-10-2014, 12:48 AM

2 posts, read 1,980 times
Mine is only

speedtestnet.eu

But there are the rougher side speeds.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:57 AM

397 posts, read 659,971 times
If you are in Phoenix why would you speed test against European servers, all that added latency isn't going to give you good results.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:12 AM

2 posts, read 1,980 times
In New York measuring page is on the European side.
speedtest-newyork.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area