Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 10:36 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
My idea is to halt state and federal unemployment taxes. Like in the old days, if you lose your job, you have no income. Maybe go to the soup kitchen to eat. After a few days of that, any job is going to sound appealing. And maybe it will eliminate the great American pasttime of getting yourself fired so you can enjoy a six month paid vacation. But, I'm a dreamer I guess.
When I read statements like this, I just have to shake my head. It's an old myth that there are great numbers of people voluntarily unemployed in order to gain assistance. Myths like this come about because of ignorance frankly.

Do you even grasp how little people get from such programs? Hardly enough to sit back and relax while sipping champagne. Not only that, but there are now work requirements for people receiving federal assistance. The vast majority of people on unemployment assistance are either actively looking for employment or are injured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 10:48 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
When I read statements like this, I just have to shake my head. It's an old myth that there are great numbers of people voluntarily unemployed in order to gain assistance. Myths like this come about because of ignorance frankly.

Do you even grasp how little people get from such programs? Hardly enough to sit back and relax while sipping champagne. Not only that, but there are now work requirements for people receiving federal assistance. The vast majority of people on unemployment assistance are either actively looking for employment or are injured.
I could not agree more, irwin . . . most of those benefits are extremely meager.

However, I am always amazed when I learn about individuals choosing to take advantage of the system rather than working.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:59 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Sounds like "History Repeating" with the justification of Slavery back in the 1800's, SOON2B.
I was thinking the same thing Bummer, Just wondering what the solution around it is. The migrant workers are happy to get the work because it is more than they can get in there home nations. At the same time are we justifying the practice by letting it continue. Seems that for as long as I can remember this has gone on and no one opened a blind eye to the practice. We let them pick the food as long as they left when the crops were picked and didn't cost us anything. Problem is that over the past 40 years many have stayed on and decided to get a job other than in the fields. That causes a problem for a lot of people. Also no one wants them hanging around there places of business causing problems. I get that. If I owned a business I wouldn't want someone bothering my customers. I don't even like it when you have people asking for a donation to some cause, standing out side a store front. What is the solution? The guest worker thing seems feasable. Any other solutions? My thoughts are that within the constitution the Executive Branch has a duty to protect our borders. Is that happening or are illegals seen as a threat? I know I am just rambling on. I have a tendency to do that.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:59 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,937,576 times
"The vast majority of people on unemployment assistance are either actively looking for employment or are injured."

Can you back up this assertion with proof? Dismissing me as ignorant does little to persuade me that you have any particular expertise in this subject.

The fact is, if people have the incentive to work, they will work. If they lack the incentive to work, they'll either work or do other things. I personally have known dozens of people who took advantage of a job termination to "fix up the house", do some traveling, etc. But perhaps my anecdotal experiences don't reflect the norm.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:08 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
"The vast majority of people on unemployment assistance are either actively looking for employment or are injured."

Can you back up this assertion with proof? Dismissing me as ignorant does little to persuade me that you have any particular expertise in this subject.

The fact is, if people have the incentive to work, they will work. If they lack the incentive to work, they'll either work or do other things. I personally have known dozens of people who took advantage of a job termination to "fix up the house", do some traveling, etc. But perhaps my anecdotal experiences don't reflect the norm.
Well, the fact that unemployment benefits from the government are so merger, this is itself incentive to seek employment. You simply can't support a "regular" lifestyle on such pittance.

As far as your second statement, if someone is terminated they are often given a severance package. Many people do take some time off before seeking another job (maybe a month or so) and go on vacation, etc. I see nothing wrong with this at all, especially if the person already has another job lined up. I have a friend who did this very thing and traveled around Asia for a month. This is completely different from someone living off government unemployment for an extended period of time.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:33 PM

21 posts, read 73,204 times
An article from the Center for Immigration Studies states that guest worker programs have always failed.

Just check out- Guest Worker Programs for the 21st Century at CIS.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:32 AM

35 posts, read 118,201 times
Hi. I'm a current Las Vegas resident but a Chicago native. I sometimes bounce from forum checking out what's going on in other parts of our nation. I had to stop and read the posts regarding the employer sacntions law in Arizona that began yesterday and I must say to the people and to the governent of Arizona bravo it's about time.
If anyone knows about the immigration issues, it's me. I grew up int he city of Chicagao. Not the far outlying rural areas. Not the suburbs. But in the city. I've experienced mutiple cultures all of my life. Whether it be African (not African American but really African), Mexican, Italian, German, Jewish, Russian, Irish, or Polish. it doesn't matter Chicago has it all.
I once had a girlfriend who happened to be a illegal immigrant from Columbia. She had a tourist visa that lasted until the 6 month expiration date but she simply overstayed it and not once did the Department Of Justice now Department Of Homeland Security come looking for her asking questions. Do you ever wonder why how those very terrorists that attacked September 11 2001 came in so and stayed so easily?
In Chicago, it's just not the Mexicans who are of a large illegal population but also the Polish. You'd never know who they are. They mix in so well with the white American population. But they too are just at fault. They don't meet the necessary entry requirements and they don't go through the proper application process. I have a brother in law who's a carpenter. His Dad's also a carpenter. They both tell me the Polish and the Mexicans are taking over the construction industry. All because the general contractors can get 3 $10 per hour illegals working for the same money as 1 American union carpenter. They tell me it's not so easy for a young guy willing to do hard work for good pay because the owners of builders don't want them anymore. It's all about the illegals now. Whenever some ignorant person says that I'm racist towards Mexicans, I respond then I must be racist towards Polish too since they're part of the problem AND I myself am 25% Polish.
All of my Great Grand parents and 1 Grandparent are immigrants to this country. Not 1 must I repeat 1 was illegal. I know this for a fact because I heard the stories of the trials and the tribulations it took for them to finally get here. My Grandma in particulr, was brought over here by my Grandpa after World War 2 from Germany. She had to get a health screening test for any diseases or viruses. She had to have a skill whther blue or white collar nevertheless just a skill. She had to pay fees to get the application process finished. She had to go through interviews on her reasons why she wants to come here. And she had to be on a waiting list. Finally, 2 years later, she was in America. Within no time, she learned the English language fluently, got a job in quality assurance in a factory since she was trained in factories making equipment for th Nazi military back in Germany, and became an American citizen.
My point of telling you that story is because she came in the right way. How it should be. Organized. Intelligent. Just. And fair. These illegal immigrants whether from Mexico or Poland or China or Russia I don't care racism has nothing to do with it. It needs to be stopped dead in their tracks. And this employer sanctions law is just the beginning. I wish the federal govenment would do just this ona widespread national scale. Full blown. But they won't. Why? Because their campaigns are funded by special interest groups that want or need the illegal immigrants in here so they don't have to pay the rest of us equitable wages but very low wages. These illegal immigrants are willing to do it for that oney because to them they're becoming rich.
I applaud your backing of this new law but your new task is to keep it place. There's multiple major corporations and small business fighting it tooth and nail and the politicians will listen. The more you have your voice heard, the more the law will stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: