Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 10:34 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Conspiracy theorist? I just watch the news and read fact based accounts of militarized policing. Rise of the Warrior Cop is a good start and traces the history of militarized policing following Charles Whitman in Austin.
I was actually just being sarcastic. Any piece of equipment will get used regardless of whether its use is required to accomplish a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 10:35 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,148,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Right on!

Id also suggest rolling a couple M1A1 Abrams tanks onto campus as well. Lets see those frat boys n girls pull some crap now!
I still have my license....can I drive one?

Old 09-16-2014, 11:23 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
They need 'em. That place would better be called Animal State University! (Only kidding. I love ASU. My kid might go there OMG. )

Old 09-16-2014, 12:13 PM

397 posts, read 659,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post

A self-loading (semi-auto) AR-15 would have been just as effective in that situation as a select, or full, auto, IMO. The students who were providing the suppressive fire from the ground were most likely using bolt action rifles or lever guns.
Yes, exactly, what is mainly required is a semi-auto long gun with a scope to suppress a single shooter. A full auto gun is mainly used for engaging many targets at once and can cause a lot of collaterral damage in an urban environment.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:39 PM

308 posts, read 791,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esiebert7625 View Post
Yes, exactly, what is mainly required is a semi-auto long gun with a scope to suppress a single shooter. A full auto gun is mainly used for engaging many targets at once and can cause a lot of collaterral damage in an urban environment.

I went back and watched the video again and even read the script. Nowhere was it said they are full auto or select fire weapons. Many departments change out the sear, making them semi-auto only. It takes literally a minute to do this.

Rifles are much better weapons for law enforcement than shotguns--much less chance of innocent bystanders getting hurt by buckshot, pass-throughs etc. You can tailor the ammo used to suit the situation. Lighter softnosed bullets won't pass through walls like shotgun slugs.

It makes sense for the campus officers to carry these rifles in their cars in order to have quick access to them if needed. I highly doubt they will be taken out of their cars very often.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:46 PM

397 posts, read 659,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAinAZ View Post
I went back and watched the video again and even read the script. Nowhere was it said they are full auto or select fire weapons. Many departments change out the sear, making them semi-auto only. It takes literally a minute to do this.

Rifles are much better weapons for law enforcement than shotguns--much less chance of innocent bystanders getting hurt by buckshot, pass-throughs etc. You can tailor the ammo used to suit the situation. Lighter softnosed bullets won't pass through walls like shotgun slugs.

It makes sense for the campus officers to carry these rifles in their cars in order to have quick access to them if needed. I highly doubt they will be taken out of their cars very often.
Most people in the press are clueless and don't know the difference between full auto and semi auto. To them its the big scary black rifle regardless if its a AR-15 or M-16.

You're correct though, I did some diggin and found that some other depts are converting them back to semi auto.

What LAUSD is doing with its military-surplus grenade launchers and assault rifles - LA Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area