Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 09:23 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,712,573 times

Advertisements

Okay, I know most people dump their TVs - indeed, a lot of things - as soon as they're obsolete or unfashionable, but I have a couple of TVs that had been bought by my mother, decades old, before everything went flat ... and they still function perfectly.

I hate to toss something that is still perfectly fine. Are there any TV repairmen that still work with older models and might like to buy these for $25 to cannibalize for parts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 12:57 AM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
I doubt it. Most old working CRT's are usually donated to charities that send them overseas to 3rd world country's.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:31 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,085,595 times
They're getting to be hard to get rid of. I have a 36 inch Sony Wega that refuses to die and I've decided to keep on using it till it quits. Gotta be at least 16 years old and weighs at least 200 lbs. Pretty sure there are raccoons living behind it. At least it helps keep the living room warm...
I had two old CRTs in the shed that still worked fine and had to pay an appliance recycler ten bucks apiece to take them. Good luck.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:05 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
I threw a few away during bulk pickup a few months ago and it was the only time the garbage pickers didn't take what I set out.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:09 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,088 times
I just recently had to retire a flat screen one, still a CRT model though, that had a combination DVD player built in. we just wore out the tube, as it was showing nothing but greens and pinks.

yet, it lives on, in the corner of my garage, until I can figure out a proper disposal method. No one will deal with these things!

Old 10-28-2014, 08:24 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
I hate to toss something that is still perfectly fine. Are there any TV repairmen that still work with older models and might like to buy these for $25 to cannibalize for parts?
Just the opposite. There will come a day (maybe today where you are located) when you will have to pay at least $25 or possibly much more to have someone dispose of the cathode ray tube as hazardous material.

Certainly a handful will be retained by collectors, just as a few TV's from the 1950's are still operating today. But for the most part I would say lug them away today before they become a financial liability.

My parents had 6 CRT televisions, and I was able to buy 5 replacements on sale for $90 or less per TV. I found three 19" TV's, one 24" TV, and my brother gave an older 22" TV. My father remains attached to his 18 year old 25" RCA TV. He doesn't like the new controls and options and he still resents that the cable required him to use a set top box in September 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
yet, it lives on, in the corner of my garage, until I can figure out a proper disposal method. No one will deal with these things!
Right now the Best Buy's in our area takes them for free. You have to carry them there, of course. As they will be classified as hazardous waste, get rid of them now.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:24 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
This is a terrific organization that accepts many used electronics and uses them PROPERLY. Arizona StRUT | Computer Recycling & Remanufacturing | Drop Off Locations NO APPLIANCES - ELECTRONICS ONLY.

They sometimes take the big, old tv's - call first. They nearly always take flat screens, and were thrilled to get our two old TIVO units, CRTs, desktop computers, etc. This is a super non profit organization.

Other alternatives are freescale, Craigslist (as a free to anyone who picks it up item) and most citues have an electronics rrecycling program.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:25 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
I had two CRTs taking up space in storage. I made up a flyer with retro 80s flair and advertised the two TVs for $20/each. I put the flyers up on two bulletin boards. One in the fine arts studio at the university and one at the hipster coffeeshop. Sold both in less than 48 hours.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:40 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,744,599 times
Data Doctors will take and recycle most electronics.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:04 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
They're getting to be hard to get rid of. I have a 36 inch Sony Wega that refuses to die and I've decided to keep on using it till it quits. Gotta be at least 16 years old and weighs at least 200 lbs. Pretty sure there are raccoons living behind it. At least it helps keep the living room warm...
I had two old CRTs in the shed that still worked fine and had to pay an appliance recycler ten bucks apiece to take them. Good luck.

Try almost 300. Actual weight is 270. Those are great TVS, though. If you have the space, I'd say keep using it till it dies. I had 3 of those TVs in 27". 32" and 36". Got rid of them before the move, of course. But still worked great.

The last time I did move them, I hired movers and one literally groaned when he saw the 36" one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area