Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 08:52 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,049,999 times

Advertisements

Has anyone noticed the industrial sized high tension power poles being installed along the 303 corridor? These polls run from the substation next to Dicks Warehouse all the way to Waddell Rd.

Something's coming that needs this kind of power grid upgrade, question is what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 11:00 PM

116 posts, read 285,258 times
Default Progress!

They are starting to expand Prasada and the surrounding area. There will be more shopping, a community hospital and related medical offices, Walgreens, a shopping complex with Macy's, Dillard's, assorted retail, a Harkins Theater, assorted restaurants, more car dealerships. Also plans are in the works for new housing development at Peoria and Citrus (Glendale might be looking to annex this).

The area is itching for shopping!

Old 11-25-2014, 12:40 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,262,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizfourfam View Post
They are starting to expand Prasada and the surrounding area. There will be more shopping, a community hospital and related medical offices, Walgreens, a shopping complex with Macy's, Dillard's, assorted retail, a Harkins Theater, assorted restaurants, more car dealerships. Also plans are in the works for new housing development at Peoria and Citrus (Glendale might be looking to annex this).

Yeah, I'm getting pretty tired heading to Arrowhead when we want to go to the mall!!

Do you know if the shopping mall is going to be indoors or outdoors?

Old 11-26-2014, 06:33 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,200,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizfourfam View Post

I wonder??? I live 1.5 miles from Waddell and the 303. Sams Club by the 303 and Bell is dead. It has to be losing $$$'s. It's just not developed enough. If I was a retailer, I'd have no interest in going that direction YET. I'd want to be by Grand and Bell. So until more houses are built, I fear it's off to Arrowhead.

Old 11-26-2014, 07:21 AM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Yeah, I'm getting pretty tired heading to Arrowhead when we want to go to the mall!!

Do you know if the shopping mall is going to be indoors or outdoors?
The mall developers have always said that the Estrella Falls mall would be built before the one in Surprise. There was a story out a few days ago that the Estrella mall was now delayed until 2020 or something like that. Realistically, it will likely never be built and there will be more of a "westgate" type of development there. Prasada is even more unlikely. That's not to say there will be no shopping. Just that the big place anchored by Macy's and Dillards (which BTW was Estrella Falls plan not Prasada) will not ever see the light of day, IMO.

The failure to build the malls is not some failure of development in the west valley as some posters are suggesting. In reality, Westcor has already stated that they have all the traditional demographics they need in Goodyear to build Estrella Falls. The problem is the shifting sands of retail in the US. Malls are failing across the country, one-sixth of retail sales are online and growing. Retailers are plowing their revenue into warehousing, distribution and internet operations. In that climate, it is hard to get investors behind a project like a major mall. In fact, no major mall has been started anywhere in the US in about 10 years. The internet is chock full of stories about the troubled future of malls. A new model will emerge and Goodyear and Surprise, being new cities will reflect the trends of the times.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 11-26-2014 at 07:30 AM..

Old 11-26-2014, 08:06 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,289,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
In fact, no major mall has been started anywhere in the US in about 10 years.
San Tan Village in Gilbert was built 7 years ago, with some components of it finishing up 6 years ago, but maybe that is not a "mall" per se as it is more of an outdoor shopping mall but with all of the tradtional mall stores and anchors. It is now in the phase of adding more hotel and office use around it. The only thing that failed there was the food court, which was detached from the rest of the mall. No one wants to go to a separate building for a hot dog on a stick. I rarely go to ST Village but was there about 8 months ago to meet someone at Brio for lunch, and it was very busy and difficult to find close parking (doesn't mean people were buying anything).

Interestingly, that mall was started when the 202 freeway was either just completed or under construction so that's a similar phase as the 303. While there were more people living in the area then compared to the 303 corridor now, there was also more competition with the Chandler Fashion Center 8-9 miles away and also the 1.3 million square foot (with more under construction) Crossroads Towne Center about 3-4 miles West at the border of Chandler and Gilbert. This shopping center also has mall type components such as JC Penney, Michaels, Harkins Theater, etc but also power center stuff like Super Target/Wal Mart etc. Crossroads Towne Center | A Vestar Property

I think if this stretch of 9 miles could support so much shopping, the I-10/Bullard area could support much more. I agree it probably won't be a traditional mall, but more like Tempe Marketplace/Desert Ridge Marketplace or the shopping area by the Cardinals stadium.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:44 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,960,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
San Tan Village in Gilbert was built 7 years ago, with some components of it finishing up 6 years ago, but maybe that is not a "mall" per se as it is more of an outdoor shopping mall but with all of the tradtional mall stores and anchors. It is now in the phase of adding more hotel and office use around it. The only thing that failed there was the food court, which was detached from the rest of the mall. No one wants to go to a separate building for a hot dog on a stick. I rarely go to ST Village but was there about 8 months ago to meet someone at Brio for lunch, and it was very busy and difficult to find close parking (doesn't mean people were buying anything).
I feel like San Tan Village is always packed. The upstairs of the buildings is all office space so the restaurants stay busy during the day. It has had mostly the same stores since opening so I am assuming they are still holding strong. The indoor mall concept is dead, mixed use development like San Tan Village is the future and that is what should be on its way to the west valley.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:48 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,289,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
I feel like San Tan Village is always packed. The upstairs of the buildings is all office space so the restaurants stay busy during the day. It has had mostly the same stores since opening so I am assuming they are still holding strong. The indoor mall concept is dead, mixed use development like San Tan Village is the future and that is what should be on its way to the west valley.

I actually prefer the indoor mall concept, not that I partake in shopping malls much anyway so I guess I'm not the target audience. I like the Idea of being able to parallel park in front of the store you want to go to like San Tan, however that place is so packed that never works out and you end up parking a half mile away anyway. When I do need to go to a mall I will definitely go to Chandler Fashion Center first, maybe because it's closer but I also prefer the layout. Only time I really go near the Chandler mall other than in the holidays is to go to Chompies

Old 11-26-2014, 01:33 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,613,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I wonder??? I live 1.5 miles from Waddell and the 303. Sams Club by the 303 and Bell is dead. It has to be losing $$$'s. It's just not developed enough. If I was a retailer, I'd have no interest in going that direction YET. I'd want to be by Grand and Bell. So until more houses are built, I fear it's off to Arrowhead.
I think more people prefer Costco and make the drive over to Arrowhead. That Costco is usually super packed (busiest in Az?). This morning at 10am it was a mad house to get those great pies they make. The Sam's club might have been a move to get in before Costco. They might have thought the people of Surprise would choose convenience over Costco. I think they failed as most people prefer the quality of Costco over Walmart

Old 11-26-2014, 07:16 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,049,999 times
Was at Sam's on Bell/303 at about 2pm and it was really very busy. I go there frequently and it's always got a steady stream of people in and out.
Is it Costco busy? Nope, but what is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area