Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 03:28 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I will have to give some of these a try. I've only tried Joyride Tacos. I liked them. Especially on Tuesday night ($2). That deal cannot be beat. Their margaritas are also great. Especially the cucumber version.
Joyride is definitely solid. I'd call it good not great, but still a good meal. I had some sort of jalapeno margarita last time I was there that was definitely tasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 03:37 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I think one problem may be that too many Mexican places here just try TOO hard. Mexican food is really not that complicated. Good fresh tortillas, some fresh salsa, not stale chips, beans that aren't too charred, cheese that isn't an unnatural shade of yellow from a jar...
Mexico is a huge country so naturally their cuisine is quite varied. Much of Mexican cuisine is complicated actually. Look at what it takes to make a solid mole. There isn't really one formula for what Mexican food should be outside of the yellow cheese slinging Americanized places or Tex-Mex, which is pretty standardized. The other challenge could be finding good food that also serves booze. I've had awesome tacos at some divey spots throughout the valley but I don't think many of them have liquor licenses. Senor Taco and Tacos Jalisco come to mind.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:00 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Mexico is a huge country so naturally their cuisine is quite varied. Much of Mexican cuisine is complicated actually. Look at what it takes to make a solid mole. There isn't really one formula for what Mexican food should be outside of the yellow cheese slinging Americanized places or Tex-Mex, which is pretty standardized. The other challenge could be finding good food that also serves booze. I've had awesome tacos at some divey spots throughout the valley but I don't think many of them have liquor licenses. Senor Taco and Tacos Jalisco come to mind.
That is part of the problem for sure. There are places that I know are probably amazing that I have not bothered to try because part of a good Mexican food experience to me is the drinks that go along with it.

For instance, this place:

Menus for Taquitos Jalisco - Mesa - SinglePlatform

I do understand the food is varied as Mexico is a large country, much the same as not all Indian restaurants are the same; it's regional. But restaurants here seem to spend more time with tableside guacamole making and fancy plate displays rather than the food itself. When I was in Puerto Vallarta, the best food I had there was a small place with a balcony overlooking the malecon. The brought fresh tortillas and queso with green chiles, and beans. I made my own plate. Simple, extremely delicious, and no fuss.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:07 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,967,617 times
Quote:
I think one problem may be that too many Mexican places here just try TOO hard.
That's why I still prefer good ol' Carolina's. Its in a not-so-good area of south Phoenix, but so worth the drive. Their breakfast burritos are still my favorite. Simple, big, and tasty.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:16 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,540 times
Quote:
"Upscale" and "Mexican food" don't go together in my mind. Not for the good stuff, anyway, and many on that list fall into that category.

I am looking for a no fuss, affordable, down to earth place that has both good margs and authentic Mexican food, not some over priced Scottsdale/Fancy Food Network/small plates/pretentious food snob place.

A new place opened in north central Phoenix recently that I was excited about, so we decided to give it a shot. Sunnyslope, to be exact. There was no close parking so we had to park about 2 blocks away and walk. When we commented on that we were told "Oh, we have complimentary valet." Um, okay. While we were looking over the menu we asked for chips and salsa and the waitress walked over to put that order in...there was a charge for those. Really? Valet and charging for chips and salsa? I asked them if they were aware of the demographic of the neighborhood they just opened in, that they kept proclaiming to be proud of. (working class not a valet crowd. It's Sunnyslope, not Biltmore) We left. Won't bother with that again.

I've truly just given up on finding "my place" so I won't be taking that dare, thanks. Not worth the effort since I have already put so much effort into it already. I've moved Mexican food to the bottom of my favorite foods list since moving to AZ and wasted too much money on it already.
Barrio Queen is leaning towards the upscale price, but it is by far the most authentic mexican food (according to my mexican MIL). It might be a little too authentic - you won't find burritos and chimis on their menu. But, it is as close to REAL mexican cuisine you can get. Margaritas are real too and not made from a mix.

If your meal has shredded yellow cheese, it is not authentic mexican food.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
That's why I still prefer good ol' Carolina's. Its in a not-so-good area of south Phoenix, but so worth the drive. Their breakfast burritos are still my favorite. Simple, big, and tasty.
I checked out Carolina's menu (there are several, I believe) but I haven't tried there yet.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Barrio Queen is leaning towards the upscale price, but it is by far the most authentic mexican food (according to my mexican MIL). It might be a little too authentic - you won't find burritos and chimis on their menu. But, it is as close to REAL mexican cuisine you can get. Margaritas are real too and not made from a mix.

If your meal has shredded yellow cheese, it is not authentic mexican food.
I have been to the one a couple of times in downtown Gilbert. Mexican "street" food is how it is described.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:14 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,079,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Yes, Carolina's is awesome! Not much for atmosphere or location but the food is oh so good. The best handmade tortillas and the machaca is to die for. ElleTea, you need to give it a try.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:02 PM

159 posts, read 397,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Yes, Carolina's is awesome! Not much for atmosphere or location but the food is oh so good. The best handmade tortillas and the machaca is to die for. ElleTea, you need to give it a try.
Their North Phoenix location on Cactus is also great

Old 02-09-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
But no alcohol, right? That's the issue I am running into. I want good food AND good margs or even a Tecate or Dos XX to complete the meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area