Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 10:26 AM

768 posts, read 1,760,691 times

Advertisements

We want to replace our old electric water heater with something more energy efficient.

Does anyone have recommendations on the best place to buy a heater in Phoenix? We would like to consider solar but are hesitant as manufacture information seems to be limited.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 10:54 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,052,619 times
I'd HIGHLY recommend a hybrid electric water heater. I've had one 5 yrs now and I love it. Dropped my SRP bill by about 40/month. I got mine at HD.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:09 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,355,843 times
I presume you don't have gas service, is that correct?

I personally prefer the units sold by contractors over any big box store unit, as manufacturers tend to skimp on quality for the units sold by big box stores. If electric is your only option, then a hybrid electric heat pump electric water heater would be your best choice, however, such units are expensive to buy. If a hybrid electric heat pump water heater is out of your price range, then get a tank with an energy factor of at least 0.95. Avoid tankless electric water heaters, as they don't provide much energy savings over a high efficiency tank, unlike tankless gas water heaters which offer significant energy savings over a conventional gas tank water heater.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:13 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,477,513 times
OP...before you get too far into buying some expensive flavor of electric water heater, if you don't already, I'd highly suggest getting a water heater timer installed if you have an electric plan with cheap off-peak rates. Running you're water heater only during the off-peak rates will save you a pile off money. We run ours only from 7pm-12pm. No worries of having enough hot water during 12 noon-7pm as the water stays nice and hot during that time.

We bought a digital model and it only cost $80 or so and not expensive to install. Using it with a garden variety $300 electric water heater, we've found it provides the best ROI/bang for the buck.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:31 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,700,081 times
Consider the warranty very carefully if buying anything other than a standard $200 electric water heater. I can vouch for heat-pump water heaters being *awesome* ( hot water costs about $5 a month in my house), but the lifespan of a water heater can be anywhere from 3-20 years here.. I've pulled out a couple that were nearly-new & others that were old enough to vote. Tossing a five year old $200 heater wouldn't be nearly as painful as tossing a five-year-old $1500 heater.. (or a $4000 solar unit)..

Old 11-29-2014, 11:33 AM

Note that starting next year, the minimum energy factor for 50 gallon electric tank water heaters will increase from 0.90 to 0.95.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:52 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,052,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Note that starting next year, the minimum energy factor for 50 gallon electric tank water heaters will increase from 0.90 to 0.95.
The energy factor rating of hybrid electric water heaters is 2.4

Old 12-06-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
The energy factor rating of hybrid electric water heaters is 2.4
I was talking about conventional electric water heaters.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:59 AM

61 posts, read 67,217 times
draining it a few times of year will increase performance. Also, use the delay on your dishwasher to have it run an hour before you get up, and then you will have a very fresh hot tank in the morning. This may even allow you to turn it down a notch.
If you don't really need it, you should wait until it is low season on HWH. Now, would be like getting your A/C replaced in July....there is a large flotilla of pirates out there. If you are going to DIY, prices will be the same. HD stuff is just as good as builder's grade; if not better. Size of household is a big factor. Also, the "water-sense" certified shower heads are awesome, and use 1.5 gpm instead of 2.5 so that is 40% less water, but the electric savings will sve you more $$$ than the water savings. Basically, they are gear driven shower heads....less than 20 Dollars.

Old 12-08-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerpromotion View Post
HD stuff is just as good as builder's grade; if not better..
Strongly disagree. The Whirlpool units sold at Lowes are some of the worst out there, and most of the reviews seem to agree. The GE/Rheem units sold at Home Depot are not as bad, but still inferior to units sold by contractors. I know I will get flamed by a specific user for this (won't mention who), but my top choice of brand is Bradford White. Bradford White has excellent quality control methods that prevents their products from getting in the hands of hacks and tries to ensure that their units are properly installed. This is pretty much the norm in the HVAC industry by all manufacturers except Goodman, so why should the water heater industry be any different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: