Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 04:52 PM

19 posts, read 24,079 times

Advertisements

I have been reading this forum for over a month now and have gotten a lot of mixed reviews on places to live. My wife and I are moving from Indianapolis to Phoenix and would like some advice. We are going to buy a home with a budget of 250-350k. We are big foodies and what we are hearing is Phoenix is mainly suburbia with lots of chain restaurants, which scares us. We both grew up in the suburbs and are living in a neighborhood inside Indianapolis city limits and love the access to restaurants/bars. We are both in our early 30s, well educated, have professional careers, and have zero desire to ever have kids.

Here is what we like/want:
-A home with a yard for our 2 big dogs. We live in a 2700 sq ft house now, are planning on going 1500-3000 sq ft with this purchase.
-Places nearby to go eat at (that are not just chilis, applebees, buffalo wild wings, etc.),
-prefer neighbors that are hopefully similar to us (not just all families with kids).
-would love a neighborhood that has a dog park to take our pups too, although driving 10 min isnt a huge deal.
-We are not late night people, but if we work till 8 or 9 would like the opportunity to still be able to grab a late dinner without having to resort to fast food nearby.

I am an educator (currently an assistant principal in Indy) and am looking to find a position in a suburban school district, she works for a big hotel in the heart of downtown. She would like to commute no more than 20-25 min to work.

We hear from people on this board and at her work that Scottsdale is king, but is it going to be a lot of families with kids? Basically if you were in our situation what areas would you be looking at?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 05:03 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,148,805 times
Sounds like Scottsdale (North/Central) or Tempe. Some areas of central Phoenix may fit...just remember that things are a bit more spread out here. There are plenty of local restaurants....not really a specific district though so they are all over the place. Dog Parks are pretty much run by the individual cities, I am not aware of any specific neighborhoods that run their own with the rest of the amenities you are looking for. Typically neighborhoods are going to have kids in them...so not sure you will find a "suburban" neighborhood with just couples/singles.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:52 PM

6 posts, read 7,358 times
Look into Ahwatukee, lots of nice places along Ray Road - both chain and non-chain. As KurtAZ mentioned though, things are spread out. The city is built for automobiles. Paradise Valley comes to mind as well, though I've not spent much time there.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:05 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
I think Tempe and south Scottsdale are your only options as far as being surrounded by other DINKs and near a good variety of interesting, non-chain restaurants. Tempe has a plethora of solid hole in the wall ethnic restaurants and Scottsdale has everything from that to higher end chef-driven spots. I'd suggest looking in 85257. It's older and some parts are still somewhat up and coming but it's a great location where you're not likely to be surrounded by nothing but families. 85251 would be even better if you can find a place that meets your needs within budget.

Sorry but I'd disregard the post above. Ahwatukee, while very nice, is VERY suburban with tons of families, chain restaurants and big-box stores. Your budget won't get you a piece of land in the Town of Paradise Valley let alone a house on it. If the poster was referring to the part of Phoenix/Scottsdale near the PV mall sometimes also referred to as "Paradise Valley", see Ahwatukee above.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:37 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jongordo8 View Post
I have been reading this forum for over a month now and have gotten a lot of mixed reviews on places to live. My wife and I are moving from Indianapolis to Phoenix and would like some advice. We are going to buy a home with a budget of 250-350k. We are big foodies and what we are hearing is Phoenix is mainly suburbia with lots of chain restaurants, which scares us. We both grew up in the suburbs and are living in a neighborhood inside Indianapolis city limits and love the access to restaurants/bars. We are both in our early 30s, well educated, have professional careers, and have zero desire to ever have kids.

Here is what we like/want:
-A home with a yard for our 2 big dogs. We live in a 2700 sq ft house now, are planning on going 1500-3000 sq ft with this purchase.
-Places nearby to go eat at (that are not just chilis, applebees, buffalo wild wings, etc.),
-prefer neighbors that are hopefully similar to us (not just all families with kids).
-would love a neighborhood that has a dog park to take our pups too, although driving 10 min isnt a huge deal.
-We are not late night people, but if we work till 8 or 9 would like the opportunity to still be able to grab a late dinner without having to resort to fast food nearby.

I am an educator (currently an assistant principal in Indy) and am looking to find a position in a suburban school district, she works for a big hotel in the heart of downtown. She would like to commute no more than 20-25 min to work.

We hear from people on this board and at her work that Scottsdale is king, but is it going to be a lot of families with kids? Basically if you were in our situation what areas would you be looking at?

Thanks in advance.
1. "Arcadia Lite" neighborhood in Phoenix
2. South Scottsdale
3. Tempe

In that order

Old 01-01-2015, 06:41 PM

Great call on Arcadia Lite. Forgot about that. May be tough under $350k but that should check all the boxes. 85018 I think.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Great call on Arcadia Lite. Forgot about that. May be tough under $350k but that should check all the boxes. 85018 I think.
The typical houses there are smaller and the prices I have seen max out around $350-375k for smaller remodeled homes. Not talking about properties that bleed into the Biltmore or Arcadia neighborhoods where the prices go up.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
The typical houses there are smaller and the prices I have seen max out around $350-375k for smaller remodeled homes. Not talking about properties that bleed into the Biltmore or Arcadia neighborhoods where the prices go up.
North of Indian School? Most of what I see in there hovers around $500k on the low end. South of Indian School and I'd agree but I'm not sure that's Arcadia Lite.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
North of Indian School? Most of what I see in there hovers around $500k on the low end. South of Indian School and I'd agree but I'm not sure that's Arcadia Lite.
Yes North of Indian School. Small houses meaning 1200-1400 SF

Old 01-01-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Yes North of Indian School. Small houses meaning 1200-1400 SF
Good to know. I'll have to search through there. I love that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area