Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 09:13 PM

595 posts, read 1,256,346 times

Advertisements

I was gonna post it's just maybe 10-15 degrees hotter in the day and the nights don't cool down much, but I kinda like it too!

Since you're planning on being a summer students others have told you about the heavy rain or sandstorms. You do not want to be on a bike or even a car in one they are as potentially deadly as SoCal fog. And the sand storms only last a few mins to hrs. You just might stay or find a new place to visit! Enjoy getting to know AZ!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 08:20 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkElephant View Post
I was gonna post it's just maybe 10-15 degrees hotter in the day and the nights don't cool down much, but I kinda like it too!

Since you're planning on being a summer students others have told you about the heavy rain or sandstorms. You do not want to be on a bike or even a car in one they are as potentially deadly as SoCal fog. And the sand storms only last a few mins to hrs. You just might stay or find a new place to visit! Enjoy getting to know AZ!
I've never seen a sandstorm in Phoenix. There is no sand around here. We have dust storms. Blowing dust not sand.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:58 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
So do I, but I'd imagine that during a heatwave when the nights stay well into the 80sF and 90sF .
80's and 90's at about 3am. It's not uncommon to have temperatures at or near 100 at 10pm.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:08 PM

403 posts, read 597,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkElephant View Post

Well I think at least at night there won't be blazing sun. I really hope I can handle the heat in the day. I'm also worried about getting burned, because I have pale skin. I hope I can get a nice tan though! :-)

Old 02-05-2015, 11:42 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Another thing is that during this summer monsoon, we can get thunderstorms ... whereas southern CA can be very dry all summer long.
I agree rain wise but the humidity is quite high year round in many large So. Cal cities, as is the dew point, especially in the summer as compared to the monsoon season here in Phoenix, not to mention the other months of high air moisture readings(see the dew point/humidity charts).

Average Weather For San Diego, California, USA - WeatherSpark

Average Weather For Los Angeles, California, USA - WeatherSpark

Here's Phoenix:

Average Weather For Phoenix, Arizona, USA - WeatherSpark

Old 02-05-2015, 11:59 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times
The mild humidity and year-round temperatures of coastal Southern California are almost universally preferred to bone-dry air and extreme summertime heat of the Phoenix area, even among native Arizonans.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
The mild humidity and year-round temperatures of coastal Southern California are almost universally preferred to bone-dry air and extreme summertime heat of the Phoenix area, even among native Arizonans.
That's a personal preference of course. Not sure what "mild humidity" is though looking at the data/my experience, I would call the humidity/dew point on the high side in Southern California. And having lived/spent a great deal of time in both areas, personally I prefer the low humidity/dry air of a low desert though it's a nice change to go to the CA coast in the summer once in a while for a change from the desert summer heat. Late fall, winter, spring? I don't think the weather gets any better in the entire country than a low desert region like Phoenix or Palm Springs.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:14 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
I grew up in Southern California and never found it humid at all. I have family in Houston and Louisiana and THAT felt uncomfortable. So Cal weather is perfect for me.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I grew up in Southern California and never found it humid at all. I have family in Houston and Louisiana and THAT felt uncomfortable. So Cal weather is perfect for me.
It's all relative for sure. When the humidity/dew point reach into the 30's here, I start feeling it/it start felling a bit sticky to me. For someone in most parst of the country, let alone the southeast, FL, or Louisiana like you say, that's ultra low for them. I feel the same way when going to San Diego in the summer when the humidity and dew points are in the 60's. The air is cooler of course but that humidity/dew point add a heaviness to the air that is obvious to me that's not my thing. To each their own!

Old 02-06-2015, 07:15 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,741 times
The big difference is summertime, the closer you get to the coast the cooler it's going to be, the more inland you go the hotter it is.

That's why inland desert cities like Palm Springs, Las Vegas, and Phoenix are blazing hot in June, July, August, and much of September.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area