Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 03:03 PM

88 posts, read 105,234 times

Advertisements

Hello -

My wife and I are empty nesters in a year. We live in Minnesota and are sick of the cold. Is Arizona the place for us, is the big question. I just need some input on the good and bad of the Phoenix area. We have a son in LA. How far is it to LA ? How hot does it get in the summer ? What areas are safe and affordable with a lot of shopping and restaurant options ? THANK YOU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 03:30 PM

299 posts, read 546,272 times
It is an 8-hour drive from Phx to LA. Temps in May go up to 100, summer gets to mostly 105 but sometimes goes up to 110 - 115 briefly. I lived in Phoenix for 20 yrs, not sure about the safer neighborhoods. I lived in north Phx for 5 yrs before moving back to Tucson a few years ago. For just you and your wife, consider Sun City, SC West, or Dreamland (east side), all 50/55+ communities. I believe north Scottsdale is safe. My impression is that the 'bad' neighborhoods are scattered throughout Phoenix.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:44 PM

241 posts, read 386,910 times
it is absolutely NOT an 8 hour drive to LA. I've done it in 5 multiple times. In fact it's never taken me more than 6 and that's with traffic due to accident.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:56 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,284,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassfeeder View Post
it is absolutely NOT an 8 hour drive to LA. I've done it in 5 multiple times. In fact it's never taken me more than 6 and that's with traffic due to accident.
Yep. I'm from Orange County and have made the drive MANY times and it's 5-5.5 hours for me typically (stopping a couple times), 7 hours once because of a Sig alert/closed freeway. I actually did in in 4:45 once from Newport Bch to Tempe but I was driving a little fast. OC is not LA per se, but a similar drive.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:03 PM

324 posts, read 331,580 times
I agree its 5-6 hour drive. I see sun city recommend many times not sure why Glendale gets skipped over , arrowhead ranch is family friendly but also has quiet streets, restaurants and shopping is abundant and convenient .

Old 02-08-2015, 04:57 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,353,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allsunny View Post
I agree its 5-6 hour drive. I see sun city recommend many times not sure why Glendale gets skipped over , arrowhead ranch is family friendly but also has quiet streets, restaurants and shopping is abundant and convenient .
The thing with Glendale is that the city has both good and bad parts. The Arrowhead area is actually one of the better parts of Glendale. However, southeastern Glendale (near Maryvale) is a very dangerous area that hardly anyone would want to live in.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:26 PM

324 posts, read 331,580 times
Maybe, but Glendale it's a big place and it's not like you cross the street and find yourself in "dangerous" territory. ... you could say same thing about phoenix( say away from the avenues) and ( old town scottsdale lots of break ins..) any city for that matter. Arowhead ranch and areas around there are nice.
To me Sun City is not 55 + community more like 55+++++

Old 02-08-2015, 05:35 PM

13,305 posts, read 7,339,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Yep. I'm from Orange County and have made the drive MANY times and it's 5-5.5 hours for me typically (stopping a couple times), 7 hours once because of a Sig alert/closed freeway. I actually did in in 4:45 once from Newport Bch to Tempe but I was driving a little fast. OC is not LA per se, but a similar drive.
4.45 minutes to Newport beach you must have been hauling like 90 LOL . I grew up in Orange County made the drive to Phoenix 100's times growing up though 1975-2010 It always seemed to me that it took 6 hours I guess we always hit traffic somehow. Google maps says 5.5 hours. I can remember once you got into riverside that is where it started to clog up probably why I left Orange county in the 90's.

If you don't mind extreme heat and bone dry winters then move here. I suggest East Valley, Sun city if your older like that stuff there is always anthem too way up north. Phoenix is mix of good and bad so home theft is still an issue when your within 10 miles of a Junk area of town.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:35 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,052,045 times
Have you visited Phoenix in the summer? I'd recommend that you do before you make major plans to move here. Some people can take the heat; others can't. It's hard to describe the intensity of the heat unless you experience it yourself.
I tolerate the heat by doing all outdoor stuff before 10am in the summer. My impression of the people here is generally positive (former midwest and CA resident here.)

If you find you can't take the heat, there are always higher elevation cities like Prescott to consider (it's a mile high elev.)

I've actually heard that some people like living in Yuma b/c it's only a 3 yr drive to the California coast (half the time it takes from Phoenix.) And Yuma is a lot less hustle and bustle. Best to ya!

Old 02-08-2015, 05:38 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,284,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
4.45 minutes to Newport beach you must have been hauling like 90 LOL . I grew up in Orange County made the drive to Phoenix 100's times growing up though 1975-2010 It always seemed to me that it took 6 hours I guess we always hit traffic somehow. Google maps says 5.5 hours. I can remember once you got into riverside that is where it started to clog up probably why I left Orange county in the 90's.

If you don't mind extreme heat and bone dry winters then move here. I suggest East Valley, Sun city if your older like that stuff there is always anthem too way up north. Phoenix is mix of good and bad so home theft is still an issue when your within 10 miles of a Junk area of town.
Google maps assumes everyone does the speed limit. flow of traffic west of phoenix is usually 85 mph and yes I usually exceeded that. I made the trip hundreds of times as well. In laws are in Corona Del mar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area