Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 12:53 PM

8 posts, read 27,204 times

Advertisements

Considering a move from San Antonio. We moved from Austin to SA but are not really liking it so we're going to try Phoenix. Any regrets, things to think about before a move, young family friendly, or any other things to consider.

Thanks for any advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 01:00 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,991,864 times
I am not from Texas nor have I visited San Antonio. I did, however, have a friend that left Phoenix for SA and returned after 5 months. She liked it here a lot better and to be perfectly honest she didn't like Phoenix very much. That said, I absolutely love Phoenix but was upset she left SA before I could visit to see the Alamo and go to a Scorpions game.

What do you do for a living? Have you researched any jobs here?

Old 02-20-2015, 01:07 PM

558 posts, read 973,491 times
We moved here from Houston 8 years ago. By here, I mean the small metro of Prescott, not the huge one of Phoenix. Compared to San Antonio/Austin you'll never have a humid day or a cold winter day in PHX but it will definitely be hotter. The streets go in straight lines. ;-)

One of the happiest days of my life was when I left my lawn mower in Houston!

Old 02-20-2015, 02:06 PM

8 posts, read 27,204 times
Bondurant I work in public education on the administration side so I know I will take a small hit $$$ wise and my wife is a Physical Therapist, so we will be ok on the employment side of it. Agorski, well the heat will not be a big deal, we grew up in the dessert.

Thank you both for the info. Keep the suggestions/tips/warning coming, please.

Do you all know if phoenix is a pet friendly city (i.e. dog parks)

Old 02-20-2015, 02:22 PM

518 posts, read 872,471 times
Not from Texas either but have been to Austin and Dallas. If you've been up to Dallas (which you probably have from living in Austin/SA, right?)

I see some similarities between the Phoenix Metro and Dallas Metro. Maybe that gives you some perspective.

Mostly the rampant consumer culture and to some extent people. If you've been up to Dallas I'm sure you noticed they have a ton of STUFF. By stuff, I mean more than plentiful shopping malls, restaurants, tons of Walmarts... just anything and everything. A shoppers paradise. If you enjoy eating at restaurants from time to time it'll take you a lifetime to run out of new places to try.

There is some superficiality to be seen in parts of PHX (like in Dallas) but nothing too obnoxious. And by people, in Texas I noticed plenty of big blonde hair and big... other things as well if you know what I'm sayin'. We have some of that in parts... if that bothers you. But people in the Phoenix area are fine. I think you'll find them friendly enough.

But I also notice a lot of poverty here as well. Particularly in parts of Phoenix which should be no surprise considering it's one of the largest cities in the country. But when I say poverty I don't mean dangerous, ghetto, or trashy necessarily. Just poor, mostly working poor.

But if you're in most of Scottsdale and most of the East Valley (according to other posters, I'm more familiar with PHX/Scottsdale) you probably won't notice it at all.

Last edited by Bruce Jackpot; 02-20-2015 at 02:34 PM..

Old 02-20-2015, 09:12 PM

389 posts, read 596,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzeke08 View Post
Considering a move from San Antonio. We moved from Austin to SA but are not really liking it so we're going to try Phoenix. Any regrets, things to think about before a move, young family friendly, or any other things to consider.

Thanks for any advice
I lived in Phoenix for several years. As a native Houstonian, I did not care for it. What really stuck out to me was the difference in cuisine. I missed kolaches, BBQ, Gulf Coast Seafood, and Tex-Mex (the Sonoran Mexican food in Phoenix is quite different).

I also did not care for the weather. The winters in both Houston and Phoenix were pretty identical, but the summers were too hot in Phoenix. Humidity or not, the temperatures were too simply hot. The whole dry heat thing is simply a myth. Many people in Phoenix are from cold regions, such as the Midwest, the Northeast, or the Great Plains, and I can understand that Phoenix is an upgrade for those trying to escape the cold. But being from Texas, you may not see the appeal of the weather.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:53 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
I lived in Phoenix for several years. As a native Houstonian, I did not care for it. What really stuck out to me was the difference in cuisine. I missed kolaches, BBQ, Gulf Coast Seafood, and Tex-Mex (the Sonoran Mexican food in Phoenix is quite different).

I also did not care for the weather. The winters in both Houston and Phoenix were pretty identical, but the summers were too hot in Phoenix. Humidity or not, the temperatures were too simply hot. The whole dry heat thing is simply a myth. Many people in Phoenix are from cold regions, such as the Midwest, the Northeast, or the Great Plains, and I can understand that Phoenix is an upgrade for those trying to escape the cold. But being from Texas, you may not see the appeal of the weather.
My opinion is the complete opposite. I spent a summer in Dallas and it was pure hell. Dripping in sweat and being moist nonstop is way worse than simply feeling very hot.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:26 AM

2,847 posts, read 2,519,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzeke08 View Post

Thanks for any advice

We must be following each other around.

Lived in Az since 1987. Moved to Bastrop just east of Austin for 4 years. Returned to AZ. Moved to San Antonio for 4 years, returned to AZ.

After the allergies and humidity in the SA and Austin area we are back in Phx and will stay put this time.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:32 AM

389 posts, read 596,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
My opinion is the complete opposite. I spent a summer in Dallas and it was pure hell. Dripping in sweat and being moist nonstop is way worse than simply feeling very hot.
But monsoon season in Phoenix combines the nonstop moistness with feeling very hot.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:10 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
But monsoon season in Phoenix combines the nonstop moistness with feeling very hot.
During the monsoon the temps drop and humidity levels tend to not be quite as high as in Texas. Monsoon days are no cakewalk, but you get some breaks of dry heat in between the cooler, stickier days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area