Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 06:04 PM

6 posts, read 25,963 times

Advertisements

I moved to Surprise 4 years ago just south of the stadium and regret not buying into the Sun City West area. If I ever sell my house, I will buy there. Marley Park is nice but too far to stores and too high HOA fees. Whatever you do, stay away from El Mirage or the old section of Surprise around Hollyhock. All other areas are ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 01:14 PM

13 posts, read 27,879 times
We just returned from Surprise looking for the right area since we are relocating too. It can almost be over whelming
to decide where to move. You hear many opinions on this sight but in the end it is up to you. I had nixed 55 communities
until we visited Arizona Traditions. We were pleasantly surprised and found it to be quite to our liking. Not a bunch of "old
folks" as I had feared, but a lot of middle aged vibrant and very active people. I have nothing against older people. (I am
quickly approaching it myself.....hopefully!) I just had the wrong impression on those communities. They offer the opportunity to make new friends and stay active. In our case, price is certainly a factor and we really want our own private
pool. That led us to look into non-restricted communities. We also explored Goodyear and Peoria. I suggest, like others,
to rent before you buy. We have the advantage of having relatives to stay with as long as necessary so that helps. Best thing to do is explore, explore, explore!! Go to open houses, visit the club houses of communities, talk to the residents and
neighbors. We talked to everyone we could about all neighborhoods (not just 55) and got a wealth of info. Drive thru all the subdivisions to get a feel for ones you like and that will help narrow your search. Police can offer a wealth of info. I know want to be settled, but do take your time. You want to make the right move. Believe me, this is some good advice
coming from someone who has been looking! We still have to make another trip to decide! Best of luck in your search.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:36 PM

262 posts, read 307,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving_2_AZ View Post
Wanted to thank everyone for the generous comments that gave a wealth of information. I actually spoke with a builder today to find out what lots are available in Marley Park; I am hopeful we will find the perfect lot for me. I agree about the politics in SCG, as I here my Mom talk about some of the issues. As well, I have been looking in Goodyear, Wadell, and Buckeye. I will find the perfect house but the lot is inadequate or vice versa so decided why not just build. :-) MN... I appreciate your comparison to my situation because to be honest my biggest fear was the fact that the houses are very close together but I think the builder can find me a corner lot, which are typically larger, and maybe even one that is adjacent to a park or common area that will give me the openness I am seeking. I was more worried about traffic congestion near schools more than children and families playing, which is always pleasant to hear, but again it boils down to selecting the right lot. Thanks again to everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences with me.
If you are considering other areas, I'd go for Verrado over Marley Park. It's gorgeous and well maintained. It's a bit too far from the golf courses that my husband likes in Surprise or I'd buy over there in the regular family section.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:38 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Densi52 View Post
If you are considering other areas, I'd go for Verrado over Marley Park. It's gorgeous and well maintained. It's a bit too far from the golf courses that my husband likes in Surprise or I'd buy over there in the regular family section.
I'd buy in Verrado too over Marley Park. It's to the next level. BUT, I have 30 restaurants in biking distances. There are more golf courses and tons more shopping options. The hospitals and clinics are closer too. Surprise has 125,000 people in a smaller area with many times more infrastructure.

In Verrado, it might take you 10 minutes to get to interstate 10 and from there, some poor restaurant sections until you get to Goodyear. Verrado will be a great place to live in a decade. For others, infrastructure isn't as important. Therefore it isn't a great fit for me (nor your hubby). But our eyes agree, it's incredibly neat to drive into Verrado. DMB did a spectacular job. I just don't want to live there.... Yet! I see http://verrado.com/victory/ in my future. I'm 50. In about 10 years, it might be the perfect fit for me. But the infrastructure needs to develop around the development.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:13 AM

24 posts, read 80,771 times
What about the noise from Luke Airforce Base?

Old 11-21-2015, 12:02 PM

346 posts, read 549,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimjady View Post

What about it? I live in Marley Park and occasionally hear a plane overhead if I am outside on the lanai or have all the windows open but don't even really notice it. It isn't loud enough to interrupt a conversation and certainly not loud enough to drown out the TV and I don't even hear them if I am inside with the windows closed. It's nothing like living near an airport, where the airplane noise is constant and loud and it's not even obnoxious engine noise, more like a WOOOOSSSSHHHHH overhead. With military budgets being what they are it's not even a daily occurrence!

Old 11-21-2015, 12:24 PM

2,774 posts, read 5,728,764 times
Quote:
You keep asking the same question. Is there a particular answer you want?

Old 11-21-2015, 01:49 PM

9,746 posts, read 11,169,688 times
Quote:
I live in Surprise. During the 1st 15 days of the month, I hear more training. I was told by the former commander that the training is proportional to monthly budgets and later in the month hearing plane activity it is a lot more scarce.

That said, I do notice the planes. In a perfect word, I'd rather not hear them. But living against a semi-busy road would be exponentially more bothersome; as it I would pay money NOT to live on a busy cross street. Most days, I don't even notice the planes. In rare instances about 5 total times in 4 years, I thought it was a bit much. 99% of the time for ME it is a non-factor. BUT, they were here 1st. To date, I've heard exactly zero complaints from any neighbors. Nada, zippo. And when they do fly over head, the majority of the time I can barely hear them. In some instance, it gets extremely loud (about once a year).

In short, I don't find it annoying at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area