Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 02:33 PM

776 posts, read 1,063,568 times

Advertisements

So we are narrowing down our relocation options to Phoenix, Minneapolis or Atlanta.

I won't get into all the pros and cons because each place is so different for many reasons and that's exactly why we are down to those three.

I posted a similar thread in Minneapolis. Here is what I am wondering.

If you have relocated to the Phoenix area, let's say at least six months - 18 months ago, are you really happy with your decision? Is the excitement still there?

I have moved around a lot with my wife and kids and each time we moved it was e best thing ever, until about 6-8 months in. That's when the home sickness starting setting back in, all the little things about the new location started bothering us. And we started talking about leaving. So we are coming to Phoneix this Sunday for 10 days to really get a better feel of the area and the people and culture. We hope to just kind of get lost in town and find things, do some common things but also see what we are missing.

I would love to hear your experiences though you had with your move, or your current feelings on it. Whether your still happy you moved or wish you would have went somewhere else or not left at all. Maybe it just isn't all it was cracked up to be. Maybe the area grew old really fast.... Whatever the case, maybe share your opinions and experiences.

Also, if there are things you wish you would have known before you moved there that you may feel is important to us, I'd sure appreciate the heads-up

Thanks to all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 03:04 PM

18 posts, read 17,702 times
We've been here for 20 years. We love it! You will too!

Old 03-27-2015, 03:33 PM

18 posts, read 20,373 times
I live in Minneapolis now, have lived here for 20 years (North Dakota the rest of my life). We are moving to Arizona, looks like you are coming from Charlotte. Don't know if you grew up in the northland, if you haven't winters are going to be a big shock for you, mostly the cold will be a shock for you. Minneapolis is nice in the summer, when it arrives, which lately has been around mid to late June. Its gone by late September-early October. 90 and humid here is brutal, don't let anyone kid you. Job market, schools are very good here. Taxes suck here, you will pay at least $4000/yr on a home worth $300k and that's outside of Hennepin county. Inside where most of the suburbs are is even worse. State income tax is in the top 5 highest in the country. Housing is a little higher than most markets. According to CNNmoney's salary relocator, housing is 35% more here and utilities are 7% more here, which means you have to make sure your salary is more. A person making $125k in Charlotte has to make $142k in Minneapolis. Phoenix is about the same as Charlotte cost and salary wise.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:10 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,433,260 times
The traffic in Atlanta wil consume a large % of your life, it is better spent in the vicinity of a cactus.....

Minneapolis.....

Old 03-27-2015, 08:13 PM

352 posts, read 570,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
Also, if there are things you wish you would have known before you moved there that you may feel is important to us, I'd sure appreciate the heads-up
Arizona: I'll try to be as accurate as I can on my observations.

Driver's license doesn't expire until age 65.

Vehicle Registration is around $15. Vehicle license tax (VLT) is a shock at first, The VLT is based on an assessed value of 60% of the manufacturer’s base retail price reduced by 16.25% for each year since the vehicle was first registered in Arizona. The rate is calculated at $2.80 (new vehicles) / $2.89 (used vehicles) for each $100 of the assessed value. I believe its tax-deductible.

Haboobs can suck whenever they roll into the area. Particle pollution can be bad at times. Sometimes, Phoenix has hail. During monsoon season, stay away from washes to avoid flash flooding. Monsoon season can have the best lightning shows.

If you live in Phoenix, you'll need to have your vehicle emissions tested. $20 every other year for cars 1981 and newer.

Traffic can be a challenge at times, but I've seen far worst in other metro's.

Property taxes aren't that bad at all-I paid $1,500 per year, and $630 per year for homeowners insurance on my home.

Income tax rate maximum is 4.54%. Sales tax is 5.6% and local municipalities may add another 2-4%.

For most people, the dry heat IS different from moist, humid heat. I'm a dry heat person but kept a humidifier in the house in case it ever became too dry.

Its a great place for outdoor stuff (despite the hot months). Go west to California, or south to Mexico (Rocky Point) for beaches. North will take you to the Ponderosa Pines of Sedona & Flagstaff, or Northwest to Las Vegas.

I dressed very casual, and sometimes dressed in golf clothing (light slacks & golf polo) to my work office, just in case a few of us wanted to catch a twilight round. Also, I played golf nearly every month of the year.

Enjoy your trip to Arizona!

Last edited by USNomad; 03-27-2015 at 09:07 PM..

Old 03-27-2015, 09:09 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
So we are narrowing down our relocation options to Phoenix, Minneapolis or Atlanta.

I won't get into all the pros and cons because each place is so different for many reasons and that's exactly why we are down to those three.

I posted a similar thread in Minneapolis. Here is what I am wondering.

If you have relocated to the Phoenix area, let's say at least six months - 18 months ago, are you really happy with your decision? Is the excitement still there?

I have moved around a lot with my wife and kids and each time we moved it was e best thing ever, until about 6-8 months in. That's when the home sickness starting setting back in, all the little things about the new location started bothering us. And we started talking about leaving. So we are coming to Phoneix this Sunday for 10 days to really get a better feel of the area and the people and culture. We hope to just kind of get lost in town and find things, do some common things but also see what we are missing.

I would love to hear your experiences though you had with your move, or your current feelings on it. Whether your still happy you moved or wish you would have went somewhere else or not left at all. Maybe it just isn't all it was cracked up to be. Maybe the area grew old really fast.... Whatever the case, maybe share your opinions and experiences.

Thanks to all
I moved here in 1996 from northern Michigan and have very few regrets.

The summertime heat isn't one of my favorite parts about Phoenix but I can put up with it more than sub-freezing weather, snowstorms, ice, slush, mud, and humidity.

I like the newness of Phoenix compared to many places back east, very few potholes, nice landscaped freeways, and most things seem clean and pristine because it's not an old city.

We have two great zoos, waterparks, all four professional sports teams, a good share of big city cultural sites to see and tons of natural beauty in the area. Vacation spots like like Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, and the California funparks aren't too far away.

One thing though, don't let people convince you traffic isn't an issue. It's not as bad as Los Angeles or Chicago but it can be a pain, all the freeways are easily congested during morning and afternoon crush hour and I-10 west can be a parking lot.

Living costs are less than California and many eastern cities but it's not exactly cheap to live here.

Last edited by Java Jolt; 03-27-2015 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: added a thought

Old 03-27-2015, 09:13 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
The traffic in Atlanta wil consume a large % of your life, it is better spent in the vicinity of a cactus.....

Minneapolis.....
Cactus?

In my daily commute I see lots of vehicle traffic, pedestrians, concrete buildings, and subdivisions but barely one cactus.

Do you live out in the boonies?

Old 03-27-2015, 09:31 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,433,260 times
Yes. See about 3 cars a day where I live..

But I was trying to say, in Atlanta, what is a very large area, you spent so much time in traffic, time you could be home in Phoenix at home looking at a cactus......

I do drive through Phoenix , but not often, prefer going down to I 8 and drive around it.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:00 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,727,785 times
I see you live in Charlotte, which is a nice city. What's prompting you to leave? I made the move from there to here years ago for a job. You can DM me if you have specific questions. I don't want to hijack your thread anymore than I already have!

Old 03-28-2015, 01:16 AM

545 posts, read 1,485,380 times
We moved from the Chicago area just over 6 months ago. It did take some getting used to, but now that we've been here a while we love it. I think what I like most about living here is just how much different the lifestyle is compared to the midwest. You don't really realize how much of an impact the weather has on your life until you experience it firsthand. I mean, we knew the weather was bad a lot of the time where we came from, but it really does impact your quality of life. We spend so much more time outdoors, going for walks and hikes, sitting outside at night, going to parks, etc than we ever did before. Sure, the summer is going to be hot. But we'll still be able to do these things in the morning or at night. Phoenix is a big city, but it doesn't feel as big as it actually is because it's so spread out. We like that it seems like there's always something going on around here too. I know things will die down a little in the summer, but it still seems like there'll be no shortage of things to do. The primary reason we moved was the cost of living. It would have been very hard for us to be able to afford a home in Illinois when the entry price in an area with good schools is about $350k with $8k+ annual property taxes (and only going up). You can get a lot of house here for $250-300k with property taxes that are about a quarter to a third of that.

I know Minneapolis well. I have family there and have been there many times. The people are very friendly, there's lots of things to do, it has a good job market - especially high tech and medical, and good schools. It's one of the most recession proof areas in the country. As far as the midwest goes, it's definitely one of the most desirable places to be. Downsides: it can have some pretty bad traffic (not Atlanta bad, but still bad), the cost of living is pretty high (relatively high taxes and somewhat expensive housing), and of course the winters are absolutely brutal. It's pretty common for it to get below zero at night and have daytime highs in the single digits. The past two winters they've had days where the daytime highs were in the teens below zero with -40 wind chills. And they have hot, humid (albeit short) summers. I know it probably seems like I'm dwelling on the weather, but it really does affect a lot of your life when you live in a place like that. Overall, I think Minneapolis is a nice town, but slightly overrated. It's certainly better than a lot of places in the midwest. But there's no way I'd trade places - especially after living here for a little while now.

Last edited by brian571; 03-28-2015 at 01:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area