Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 09:46 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Scorpions are really pretty small, but still creepy! I had 3 of them in my previous apartment in less than a year. One in the bathroom, one on the furnace filter when it was being changed, and one on the back door that my cat was trying to play with. I also saw black widows in the backyard there often. Those are fine as long as they are outside, but because they are extremely poisonous I was worried about one of my dogs being bitten.

Black widows are also pretty small.

Scorpions actually vary quite a bit in size, though the smaller ones supposedly cause more reaction to their venom than the large ones. Black widows are easy to control by keeping corners clear, inside and out, and breaking down their messy webs in the daytime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 09:56 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Scorpions actually vary quite a bit in size, though the smaller ones supposedly cause more reaction to their venom than the large ones. Black widows are easy to control by keeping corners clear, inside and out, and breaking down their messy webs in the daytime.
By saying they are "small" it meant "far from HUGE" as someone else was concerned about the HUGE bugs here. Even a large scorpion is still far from huge.

The ones I saw were probably just under 3 inches long (I didn't get close enough to measure LOL). Small.

I controlled the black widows by spraying them with poison

Old 03-31-2015, 10:06 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
By saying they are "small" it meant "far from HUGE" as someone else was concerned about the HUGE bugs here. Even a large scorpion is still far from huge.

The ones I saw were probably just under 3 inches long (I didn't get close enough to measure LOL). Small.

When you have a real bug phobia as this poster has, a large scorpion might qualify as a "huge" bug. That's all I'm saying, not arguing with you.

Yes, you can spray black widows, I've done that too. And smashed them. And cleaned out the webs, and smashed egg sacs. All of it works. Haven't seen one in quite a while.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:08 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Quote:

To the unitiated, Hadrurus arizonensis would be classified as "HUGE". Same goes for the palo verde beetles. Now those are huge, I dont care where youre from.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:57 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Here's a big one. I had the good fortune of seeing one of these on the side of my house a few years ago. I about shxx!

Black Witch Moth - DesertUSA

It is called the "Butterfly of Death", LOL. The article says it is the largest moth in the US, but I think that one in the eastern US runs even larger.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:15 PM

35 posts, read 36,431 times
Not a bug but I just watched a bobcat walk along neighbors fence/wall then jumped into their yard! Lol- that was a first!

Old 03-31-2015, 12:29 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It is called the "Butterfly of Death", LOL.
Beware! The "butterfly of death" is upon us!

Who could say that with a straight face?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area