Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 07:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,230 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if i should register my car in Arizona or in California. Currently, I am a college student who lives in the Phoenix area 8 months a year and am planning on getting a new car for next year. I know there will be hoops I'm going to have to jump through but basically I need to know if it'll save me money or not. Here's the gist of my story though.

I live in Arizona 8 months a year, go home to California for the other 4. I have a California drivers license that will have to be renewed this year anyways. I am renting an apartment now and will be renting a house by August when I return for school. Ask any other questions that would help more. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 07:54 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,595,482 times
Car registration is WAAAAY cheaper here in AZ. Emissions testing is $27 here and the drivers license has no expiration date. Your much better off just moving everything over to AZ.

When you move back home permanently again, Be prepared for the exact same smog test your used to and a $20 app fee to go back to a ca license . Just make sure when you get your CA renewal notice, send it back saying your registered in another state. They still send me late renewal notices for my Explorer. I sold it for scrap here in AZ so I don't really bother sending anything back.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:57 PM

363 posts, read 929,893 times
My motorcycle's registration costs $291.00 here in Phoenix... The only way you will save registration fees is by registering an older vehicle. As far as I know, California does not charge registration fees according to vehicle value. Therefore CA is more beneficial to you and as a Student here... no need for AZ license. Just my .2 cents...

Old 04-06-2015, 08:00 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,595,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matyoka View Post
My motorcycle's registration costs $291.00 here in Phoenix... The only way you will save registration fees is by registering an older vehicle. As far as I know, California does not charge registration fees according to vehicle value. Therefore CA is more beneficial to you and as a Student here... no need for AZ license. Just my .2 cents...
Dude, have you ever registered a car in CA??? The registration fee's are double (newer car) to 10x (older car) more in my experience. Also the never expiring ID is pretty sick.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
Car registration is WAAAAY cheaper here in AZ. Emissions testing is $27 here and the drivers license has no expiration date. Your much better off just moving everything over to AZ.

When you move back home permanently again, Be prepared for the exact same smog test your used to and a $20 app fee to go back to a ca license . Just make sure when you get your CA renewal notice, send it back saying your registered in another state. They still send me late renewal notices for my Explorer. I sold it for scrap here in AZ so I don't really bother sending anything back.
My BMW X5 costs $570 a year in AZ... CA costs half that. Just checked the DMV website calculator.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Dude, have you ever registered a car in CA??? The registration fee's are double (newer car) to 10x (older car) more in my experience. Also the never expiring ID is pretty sick.
Nope, never registered a vehicle in CA. I mentioned that "according to my knowledge", CA does not calculate registration fees based on vehicle value. I could be wrong...

Old 04-06-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
the drivers license has no expiration date.
Mine does expire in 2034

Old 04-06-2015, 08:28 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
Quote:

You sure about that? My truck cost me $630/year to register. Is it really more expensive in California?

Old 04-06-2015, 08:35 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,606,544 times
I think Arizona is a more expensive for vehicle registration. But it has been 8 years since I last lived in California. California gets you with the taxes (Gas/Sales). I do not remember insurance rates but I think the price is pretty similar, maybe a little more expensive in California.

Arizona has a weird licence situation going on because of the anti federal government sentiment (you will now have to get a voluntary "travel ID" in Arizona if you plan to fly or enter federal buildings). You are better off keeping your California ID.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:40 PM

Well, according to elcojones, the AZ license doesn't expire so not sure what to believe... but I asked a couple of CA friends and we shall have some numbers soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: